Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with hidden disabilities

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by xlcus
and Cinemas..... like, seriously, it is as if they consider all deaf people to be unemployed and happy to go to the cinema on a Monday at midday.... It is easier to pirate films (with subtitles!!!) than it is to go to the cinema as a deaf person. Sure, you can wait a few months for Netflix etc, but why should I have to wait when I can easily download a 4k version with subs and have my own private screening on my projector, with a nice glass of wine in my hand....(3m wide picture, huge speakers, so pretty comparable to the cinema experience given the relative seating positions....)
If one goes one level deeper, it boils down to cost/benefit ratios for the business.

For example 4 K Movies and players cost more than a regular or Blu Ray DVD player.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
@FEMW,

aren't all IFE movies reformatted specifically for a specific ife screen size and software setup.

As such you can not simply say , but movie abcd on dvd has subtitles, so same movie should have subtitles on IFE, The two (DVD/IFE releases) have no 1-1 correlation as it is not DVD output shown on planes IFE screens

Further the airlines themselves have little say choice wise in the movies, especially newer releases, that the film studios allow to be sold to airlines to be screened within an IFE package.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA gold
That's partially true, but CC/subtitles is a separate file, independent of the video/audio stream. However, the reformatting may have generated timing/sync issues with the CC/subtitles.

Originally Posted by scubaccr
@FEMW,

aren't all IFE movies reformatted specifically for a specific ife screen size and software setup.

As such you can not simply say , but movie abcd on dvd has subtitles, so same movie should have subtitles on IFE, The two (DVD/IFE releases) have no 1-1 correlation as it is not DVD output shown on planes IFE screens
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by scubaccr
@FEMW,

Further the airlines themselves have little say choice wise in the movies, especially newer releases, that the film studios allow to be sold to airlines to be screened within an IFE package.
I would say that "they have little choice" because they do not specifically request this. Therefore, there is little incentive for the studios to provide this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.