Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Second leg LGW-AMS got cancelled: please advise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Second leg LGW-AMS got cancelled: please advise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:56 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
If it's any consolation, I think taking the 4pm flight is probably the right decision. I'm somewhat surprised BA would even countenance booking you on a flight which required a LGW-LHR transfer with less than 3 hours layover, which I thought was the MCT for that connection.

2.5 hours, whilst doable with an EU passport so immigration is as quick as possible, would certainly not make for a comfortable ride.

You asked about compensation - whilst there's no delay compensation for weather, it sounds from one of your posts that you may have been downgraded on your LON-AMS flight. You would be entitled to either a fare refund or 30% of the amount paid less taxes under EC261. The EC261 calculation probably isn't worth worrying about, and you should get more from BA's calculation of your refund moving from Club Europe to Euro Traveller.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 10, 2018 at 8:01 am Reason: Correct typo in EC261 % reimbursement
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airlines silver member
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
If it's any consolation, I think taking the 4pm flight is probably the right decision. I'm somewhat surprised BA would even countenance booking you on a flight which required a LGW-LHR transfer with less than 3 hours layover, which I thought was the MCT for that connection.

2.5 hours, whilst doable with an EU passport so immigration is as quick as possible, would certainly not make for a comfortable ride.

You asked about compensation - whilst there's no delay compensation for weather, it sounds from one of your posts that you may have been downgraded on your LON-AMS flight. You would be entitled to either a fare refund or 35% of the amount paid less taxes under EC261. The EC261 calculation probably isn't worth worrying about, and you should get more from BA's calculation of your refund moving from Club Europe to Euro Traveller.
Thank you so much for your reply. It comforts me to hear connecting From LGW to LHR in 2,5 hours is a bit to short.

About the weather conditions. How come that from 9:00 to 11:30 one 2 flights were cancelled of 50+ flights? Is the possible weather problem just an excuse to cancel almost empty/half full flights?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by fromHollandwithlove

Thank you so much for your reply. It comforts me to hear connecting From LGW to LHR in 2,5 hours is a bit to short.

About the weather conditions. How come that from 9:00 to 11:30 one 2 flights were cancelled of 50+ flights? Is the possible weather problem just an excuse to cancel almost empty/half full flights?
The number of flights that can land at LGW will have been reduced by air traffic control, because if it is foggy they cannot land as many aircraft as normal

So, BA has to choose which flights to cancel, and it would choose those which have frequent service, alternatives like Heathrow or London City, fewer connecting passengers, or which are relatively empty to reduce the overall inconvenience. Don't forget it also has to take into account of the inbound flight, because that will be cancelled too.

It was just bad luck it was your flight.

Never went to Locomotion - it opened just after my time
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I'm somewhat surprised BA would even countenance booking you on a flight which required a LGW-LHR transfer with less than 3 hours layover, which I thought was the MCT for that connection.
Yes MCT between LGW and LHR is 3 hours. I suspect the agent suggested this but didn't realise it was below MCT. As the OP rejected this the agent probably never tried to confirm it. Had they tried it would have failed as below MCT - I have had similar experiences before where teh agent suggested something not realising it didn't meet MCT.

See the posts upthread including mtikky's photo and my quote from eurocontrol, the weather problems were certainly very real and fog significantly slows things down, you simply can't maintain normal departure and arrival rates in that kind of weather. Some great information from a resident ATC expert Heathrow Tower about how this all works in terms of proactive cancellations due to weather https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27632906-post52.html

In terms of disruption this morning between 0800-1200 there were at least 16 departures cancelled and everything else seemed delayed by an hour or more.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Attached a second picture whilst pushing back this morning at LGW. The rest of the airfield had pretty much disappeared.

Compared to now:

Last edited by mtikky; Oct 10, 2018 at 7:33 am Reason: Text moved around the pictures
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
The number of flights that can land at LGW will have been reduced by air traffic control, because if it is foggy they cannot land as many aircraft as normal

So, BA has to choose which flights to cancel, and it would choose those which have frequent service, alternatives like Heathrow or London City, fewer connecting passengers, or which are relatively empty to reduce the overall inconvenience. Don't forget it also has to take into account of the inbound flight, because that will be cancelled too.

It was just bad luck it was your flight.

Never went to Locomotion - it opened just after my time
I haven’t seen any arrival flights on flightradar24.com that got cancelled? Or am I missing something?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I haven’t seen any arrival flights on flightradar24.com that got cancelled? Or am I missing something?

there are at least 6 arrival cancellations i can see between 0800-1200, and every other arrival at LGW had delays of at least 50 mins+ - are you not seeing that?

this is in addition to the 16 odd departure cancellations along with significant delays to anything that did actually depart as shown on FR24.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA

there are at least 6 arrival cancellations i can see between 0800-1200, and every other arrival at LGW had delays of at least 50 mins+ - are you not seeing that?

this is in addition to the 16 odd departure cancellations along with significant delays to anything that did actually depart as shown on FR24.
To be honest I only looked at BA flights. Is easyjet ever ontime or not cancelled 😬. Also, if our flight
leaves at 10:40 shouldn’t it be at the gate at least a hour before

Oh well, I’m no expert, that’s why I’m asking (and very blond by the way &#128514. Tnx all for your explaination and help. It makes it more understandable for dummies like me

Last edited by fromHollandwithlove; Oct 10, 2018 at 8:06 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtikky
Attached a second picture whilst pushing back this morning at LGW. The rest of the airfield had pretty much disappeared.

Compared to now:

yes, it’s beautiful now! Hopefully no more delays 😃
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold

sorry, i’m not on twitter
WOW. That is weird. Well there is some bloke on there with the same travel plans and the same problem.... Spooky :-)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
WOW. That is weird. Well there is some bloke on there with the same travel plans and the same problem.... Spooky :-)
I’m a girl. Well, I wished. A woman or a very old girl 😂
Globalist likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:27 pm

In the old days Gatwick used to be called Crawley marsh. The land was boggy, wet and no good for farming, so some genious decided to build an airport as the land was pretty much useless for anything else.

Now look what has happened.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rapidex
In the old days Gatwick used to be called Crawley marsh. The land was boggy, wet and no good for farming, so some genious decided to build an airport as the land was pretty much useless for anything else.

They just need to install some fans, push it away! Problem solved! ;-)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by rapidex

A lot of the land around Crawley is still that - the gardens are generally full of clay, not much good for growing on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.