Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Second leg LGW-AMS got cancelled: please advise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Second leg LGW-AMS got cancelled: please advise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airlines silver member
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Not good. I see you're on twitter looking for answers. Im SkiC on there as you may have guessed
sorry, i’m not on twitter
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

https://twitter.com/easyJet
Due to adverse weather at London Gatwick, some air traffic control restrictions are currently in place. Like other airlines, we're seeing disruption to some of our flights. We recommend checking the status of your flight on Flight Tracker at http://spr.ly/6012DfKlE or on the app.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:48 pm

3km visibility at AMS right now (7AM CET), so definitely an LGW problem.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by malmostoso
3km visibility at AMS right now (7AM CET), so definitely an LGW problem.
600m In Gatwick with forecast of 300 m to come yet so flyable but with reduced rates thus the cancellations. (0630 local time)
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
This wouldn’t have help in the OP’s case but would BA typically entertain an AA rerouting in these circumstances? Would have had to be a 1432 departure here for example: AA MCO-PHL-AMS.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
My LGW-NCE was cancelled last evening. A friend confirmed it was due to ATC due to anticipated fog (although my flight was scheduled for 12:10). Hmmmmm. Rerouted to the LCY-NCE flight, which they cancelled at 04:30 this morning. Seems quite a few BA flights ex-LCY (RTM, AMS, FRA) have been cancelled this a.m.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Foggy at LGW now (sat in GC lounge) and, when I was in JER yesterday the crew on a tour boat was predicting stormy weather today.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Also currently on the tactical update from Eurocontrol:

EGKK
Arrivals regulated due to low visibility forecast.
Moderate to high delays.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Fog would have been the issue. And it looks like airlines are now pro-actively cancelling flights rather than dealing with the effects at the airport. one of my colleagues was on the cancelled LCY-FRA today and he got rebooked via LHR. At least BA texted him before, so rather than turn up at LCY he just went straight to LHR

OT: to the OP - saw the weather screenshots you put up, one from Zoetermeer - I grew up there
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
This wouldn’t have help in the OP’s case but would BA typically entertain an AA rerouting in these circumstances? Would have had to be a 1432 departure here for example: AA MCO-PHL-AMS.
That would have been awesome, but I didn’t see any flights for that otherwise I would have tried (probably because it was already 16:00 at the time we checked in mco time).
If I found out sooner I would have tried any other option (from MIA, FLL, TPA, JFK or whatever 😀
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Fog would have been the issue. And it looks like airlines are now pro-actively cancelling flights rather than dealing with the effects at the airport. one of my colleagues was on the cancelled LCY-FRA today and he got rebooked via LHR. At least BA texted him before, so rather than turn up at LCY he just went straight to LHR

OT: to the OP - saw the weather screenshots you put up, one from Zoetermeer - I grew up there
Haha, yes Zoetermeer is the town I live in.
Locomotion was were I used to work quit a long time 😀.
Our rebooked flight is already delayed 😬. But eventually we will be home.

BTW, they serve Freixenet when you ask for champagne at MCO.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by fromHollandwithlove
If I found out sooner I would have tried any other option (from MIA, FLL, TPA, JFK or whatever 😀
But if you were willing to go to FLL/TPA/MIA (via an extra connection or driving?) I am not sure why you were so averse to the transfer to LHR.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
But if you were willing to go to FLL/TPA/MIA (via an extra connection or driving?) I am not sure why you were so averse to the transfer to LHR.
OP is probably stretching my example of a direct PHL-AMS, without realising that TATL AA flights to AMS are very limited (to just PHL and DFW maybe?).
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Because we had 2,5 hours to get our bags, go through customs, get an a bus for 75 minutes and then check our bags, do TSA again and get to our gate.
Getting through costums can take long? Getting our bags can take long (40 min when we came from LAS to MIA a few days ago). If there’s problems with smog, probably probs in traffic?! Going true TSA in LHR can take some time.

Flying in Florida pro’s: picking up our suitcases in AMS, only when enough time so no rush.

If I’m doing something for the first time I would like to take
my time for it. And when the American customers lady tells you she does it all the time while there are 2 British travellers tell you that wouldn’t be enough time I’m not going to try it. I’m the type of person that gets at the airport at least 3 hours before flying.

Last edited by fromHollandwithlove; Oct 10, 2018 at 6:55 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:00 am
Original Poster

OP is probably stretching my example of a direct PHL-AMS, without realising that TATL AA flights to AMS are very limited (to just PHL and DFW maybe?).
I tried to find something, but like you say, very limited and no way I could have been in time in PHL or DFW to take the direct flight. Same as getting to MIA or whatever. It
was 16:00 already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.