Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs Virgin Film Choice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BA vs Virgin Film Choice

Is it just me or does Virgin win this hands down.

Just looking online at what I might watch this week and there is hardly any decent content. Looking at Virgin its much much better and every time I've flown Virgin, their choice has always been great.

I guess this is another cost saving exercise?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Rating of films is very much down to each individual. Over recent years, I haven't found what BA offers to be lacking. Based on your own personal taste, can you cite any examples? I haven't flown with VS since they pulled out of NRT. Not that I rated them very highly in the first place!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
Disagree. The Virgin system lumps everything into one, is hard to navigate, and the latest movie choices are almost always as up-to-date as one another.

Main issue is screen quality: if that's no good then I leave the thing off the whole flight to avoid the pain of trying to make out what's on screen.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I don’t know about virgin, but my last few long hauls on ba I just scan through, see nothing I want to watch and watch my iPad.
gnomeza and eugegall like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by eugegall
Is it just me or does Virgin win this hands down.

Just looking online at what I might watch this week and there is hardly any decent content. Looking at Virgin its much much better and every time I've flown Virgin, their choice has always been great.

I guess this is another cost saving exercise?
Strangely the BA content listed online is seemingly only a fraction of what is available on board. IME the BA system (Thales and above) has had more content Im interested in than VS when its come down to it. Although this in based on only 2 VS flights (787) and an obviously very subjective viewpoint.

The 'New Releases' etc... are pretty much always identical from what Ive seen
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by aceman
I don’t know about virgin, but my last few long hauls on ba I just scan through, see nothing I want to watch and watch my iPad.
I dearly wish BA (well, all the airlines) would ditch the ugly fixed screens (b789, I'm looking at you). Stick a tablet mount somewhere if they really have to.

​​​​​​Safety demonstration videos aside, IFE seems so pointless in an age when bringing your own media is so easy.

​​​​​​
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I found AA had much better choice on my recent trip to PHX

Returning with BA it was very limited especially in audio

Not sure whether this was down to Rockwell Collins

Still prefer IFE to my own ipad

Maybe I should change

Last edited by allturnleft; Oct 9, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
You mean they show movies on the plane. now you tell me
tynmar likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by gnomeza

​​​​​​Safety demonstration videos aside, IFE seems so pointless in an age when bringing your own media is so easy.

​​​​​​
not everyone has an iPad or tablet . Also Many people regard the IFE as part of the experience and would expect to see recent films on a long haul flight.

ive watched several films on the IFE that I wouldn’t normally have watched elsewhere

Lefly, LapLap and eugegall like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:43 am

On my recent LHR-ORD leg I had a good nostalgic spin through some of my favourite films growing up. Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Matrix and Jurassic Park. This fitted perfectly with the flight time.

Sometimes it's not just about the new releases but the variety on offer which can I imagine be difficult to judge.

In the future I reckon that a service like Virgin Train's Beam will be available to stream to phone or tablet. certainly in Y and W. This should eliminate the pesky IFE boxes from under the seats and make the legroom more comfortable.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by gnomeza
I dearly wish BA (well, all the airlines) would ditch the ugly fixed screens (b789, I'm looking at you). Stick a tablet mount somewhere if they really have to.

​​​​​​
perhaps for you but not for the rest of us. I wouldn’t have a clue where to start downloading stuff.

LapLap likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:53 am

Just a final point about being able to use your own device. It would mean that you would be able to use your own headphones. Which the whole are far better than what BA provides accross all Cabins.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Just a final point about being able to use your own device. It would mean that you would be able to use your own headphones.
You can do that already, no?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Just a final point about being able to use your own device. It would mean that you would be able to use your own headphones. Which the whole are far better than what BA provides accross all Cabins.
You can already use your own headphones, across all cabins, and have been able to since long before BA had AVOD.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by fotographer
You mean they show movies on the plane. now you tell me
Sleep or Kindle. I can't keep up with this young stuff they show these days.
tynmar and fotographer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.