Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Time Philadelphia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Redwood839
If you're not checking bags, it's doable. Re-checking takes a couple of secs, it's the matter of how long the bags take to come out.

Note that PHL now has APC, so immigration isn't that bad anymore (from my experience)
It was crazy busy Saturday when I came through at 15:45. There were at least 4 or 5 big international fights hit the immigration hall at the same time. Even the baggage hall was chaos which is unusual. Despite APC I will be renewing Global Entry.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by florens

IME PHL is notorious for slow baggage handling. When we arrived from MAN, immigration was empty and swift (no GE). However, we then had to wait for nearly an hour for our luggage in order to recheck it. In the end we managed to catch our connecting flight, but not with much time to spare.

Global entry is a double-edged sword at PHL, it just shifts where you have to wait. Last month I was waiting about 45mins by the baggage belt, but preferable I guess to spending that time in the endless immigration queue as most of the flight still hadn’t made it to the baggage hall at all when the bags started arriving. Having said that they can also be pretty quick, I think my first GE trip I was off the plane and out with bags in about 20mins. Hoping for the latter tomorrow!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I must say my own experience is consistent with everyone else’s. I have arrived on the BA67 around 10 times and never waited less than half an hour in the immigration queue and often more like 45-60 minutes. That is typically being in the first 15-20 off the plane and walking briskly to the immigration hall. By contrast I took the post-lunch AA flight earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised to arrive first in the immigration hall to find precisely no-one waiting! *Made mental note to do that again*

Connecting to a domestic flight has also been sub-optimal in my experience (which has always been hand luggage only). Once you get out of the customs hall the security queue into the domestic terminals has been pretty slow on the two occasions I have done it - in the order of half an hour.

So if I ever connected via PHL again, I would definitely allow 2.5 hours for comfort.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies. I've asked to take the LGW TPA direct flight out and return a day later to take advantage of the TPA LGW direct flight inbound. Hopefull that will be acceptable to BA.

Once again thanks for your replies and advice, it's much appreciated.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by Often1
You should not need to recheck, only drop the bags after clearing customs. If BA does this properly, it will tag the bags through to SFO and you will simply collect them at PHL, cart them through customs and then drop them. Given your timing, not standing around at recheck may make all the difference.

While you are within MCT, whether this suits you as SCT (Sensible Connection Time) is really up to you. You are cutting it very close and while BA will, of course, rebook you if you misconnect, later options may be booked with few seats available, leaving you in undesireable seats.
BA won’t have anything to do with bag tagging, check in will be with AA in MAN.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Came through PHL last sat. With GE barely broke step, but then waited 45+ mins for bags (which have to be collected and rechecked). Walked to F terminal in about 10 mins. Without GE it would be a big issue <2hrs.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:22 am

Completely unscientific sample size of 1, arriving on BA67 yesterday;
Wheels down 1518
Stepped off plane 1530
Cleared GE 1536
Bag arrived on belt 1544 (remarkable for PHL!)
Waiting for Avis shuttle 1549
Immigration queue was already back to the gates so I would think without GE I would still be in it!

Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by LBP2
Completely unscientific sample size of 1, arriving on BA67 yesterday;
Wheels down 1518
Stepped off plane 1530
Cleared GE 1536
Bag arrived on belt 1544 (remarkable for PHL!)
Waiting for Avis shuttle 1549
Immigration queue was already back to the gates so I would think without GE I would still be in it!

Don't suppose you saw if they were doing any express connections orange envelopes and boarding passes, twice recently (at different airports) they have forgotten to put them out, and I have a connection in PHL over Xmas, so sort of just wondering !
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by E14 26C
Don't suppose you saw if they were doing any express connections orange envelopes and boarding passes, twice recently (at different airports) they have forgotten to put them out, and I have a connection in PHL over Xmas, so sort of just wondering !
Not something I would know to look for, sorry. I don’t transfer at PHL so just want to get out ASAP!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by E14 26C
The staff there said, and I quote "We don't care if you have a short connection you're gonna queue".

This may not be policy, but I'd rather cut the queue in an elegant and apologetic way rather than relying on orange envelopes. They were nowhere to be seen last time I went through. The TSA Pre and general security queue lead the same way too, somehow... I don't think anyone was checking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.