FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Flying Start GGL reception in Science Museum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1933834-flying-start-ggl-reception-science-museum.html)

furryman Oct 4, 2018 2:05 am

Flying Start GGL reception in Science Museum 15Nov88

Just received an invite. Anyone here going?

Schwann Oct 4, 2018 3:13 am

Cringe. Maybe they'll make all the attendees watch those onboard promo videos with the crew wandering around slums in their full uniform whilst the event participants drink champagne and pretend they're saving the world with the humanitarian and caring organisation that is BA.

thebigben Oct 4, 2018 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Schwann (Post 30277341)
Cringe. Maybe they'll make all the attendees watch those onboard promo videos with the crew wandering around slums in their full uniform whilst the event participants drink champagne and pretend they're saving the world with the humanitarian and caring organisation that is BA.

Whether it is gaining status, or attending such events, don't we do it (at least partially) for the free champagne after all? ;)

Sealink Oct 4, 2018 8:46 am

Still doing more than nothing.

msm2000uk Oct 9, 2018 5:17 am

I got an invite to this, and will likely be going.

M

navylad Oct 11, 2018 7:17 am

Flying Start Reception

Is anyone else going to the Flying Start reception, in celebration of £20m raised by BA for Comic Relief on the 15th November?

lavajava Oct 11, 2018 7:24 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ce-museum.html

Duplicate thread? Doesn't have the date in the other thread..

navylad Oct 11, 2018 8:34 am

Many apologies I didn’t see that thread despite a search, mods feel free to combine.

technical_bob Oct 11, 2018 11:50 am

Let's see, £20m raised where perhaps 200 long haul segments flown per day, over the 8 years since 2010, that's about 34 quid per segment or about 10p per pax.

So... I'll kick in 10p per flight to never see it again if everyone else will?

(usual disclaimer that I'm very happy to give money to charity and regularly do so, but not in response to attempts to leverage a very tired captive audience after a long flight).

CKBA Oct 11, 2018 11:55 am

More often than not I chip-in, mostly with $1 bills that I collect over time - coins are way too heavy (and after one embarrassing incident, not worth the hassle!). It is I suppose a bit of a love-hate relationship - sometimes the cabin crew will actively come through the cabin, other times I have to hand in the envelope on my way out... .

plunet Oct 11, 2018 11:59 am

They said they were collecting for the Indonesian Earthquake and the DEC appeal today back from DXB.

Woodbinerich Oct 11, 2018 12:41 pm

I'll come along to this.

jackcarr Oct 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Castelnau?

Vasco Pridat Oct 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Is that one of the November events?

TravellerFrequently Oct 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 30304329)
They said they were collecting for the Indonesian Earthquake and the DEC appeal today back from DXB.

And on SIN-SYD just now.

Woodbinerich Oct 11, 2018 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat (Post 30304608)
Is that one of the November events?

November 15.

navylad Oct 11, 2018 4:40 pm

It should helpfully be a good event, not been to the science museum, despite having been London based for half a decade, since I was a young child when I went regularly (with free entry with a blue Peter badge as it happens).

WRT flying Start, yes I sometimes donate, usually with foreign currency that I would probably not be otherwise able to use (less so with Euros and Dollars, but the likes of currencies of countries I will probably visit once every 5-10 years or more). With Stirling, I prefer to choose charities and donate with Gift Aid.

Like many frequent flyers, repetitive promotion and chairs yvideos are annoying (as are jokes in any safety video after than 2nd or 3rd time) but BA certainly aren’t the order for this, so it could be worse.

callum9999 Oct 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by technical_bob (Post 30304291)
Let's see, £20m raised where perhaps 200 long haul segments flown per day, over the 8 years since 2010, that's about 34 quid per segment or about 10p per pax.

So... I'll kick in 10p per flight to never see it again if everyone else will?

(usual disclaimer that I'm very happy to give money to charity and regularly do so, but not in response to attempts to leverage a very tired captive audience after a long flight).

Either way, my happiness that £20m is being given to a worthwhile charity greatly outweighs my sympathy for you having to hear an announcement while tired...

I never complain about charities/organisations for trying to raise money to help people, no matter how irritating their techniques may be. If anyone is to blame it's the general public for needing to be pestered to donate instead of doing it themselves!

simons1 Oct 12, 2018 12:29 am

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 30305351)
It should helpfully be a good event, not been to the science museum, despite having been London based for half a decade, since I was a young child when I went regularly (with free entry with a blue Peter badge as it happens).

WRT flying Start, yes I sometimes donate, usually with foreign currency that I would probably not be otherwise able to use (less so with Euros and Dollars, but the likes of currencies of countries I will probably visit once every 5-10 years or more). With Stirling, I prefer to choose charities and donate with Gift Aid.

Like many frequent flyers, repetitive promotion and chairs yvideos are annoying (as are jokes in any safety video after than 2nd or 3rd time) but BA certainly aren’t the order for this, so it could be worse.

Science Museum has always been free anyway, so you could have been spared the embarrassment....

I wonder if BA will trot out the same $4.5bn package of improvements again.

englisha Oct 12, 2018 1:17 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 30306319)
Science Museum has always been free anyway, so you could have been spared the embarrassment....

Before 2001 they used to charge...I remember when they dropped the charges for all the museums and as a student at the time, happily could visit them all for free.

navylad Oct 12, 2018 2:46 am

Originally Posted by englisha (Post 30306415)
Before 2001 they used to charge...I remember when they dropped the charges for all the museums and as a student at the time, happily could visit them all for free.

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 30306319)

I wonder if BA will trot out the same $4.5bn package of improvements again.

im afraid that’s not true. It used to be free if you arrived late in the day (from memory something like an hour or two before closing, but you certainly had to pay whilst both you and I were children, and I wouldn’t say it was embarrassing per say.

@englisha is right, the fee was scrapped on 1 Dec 2001, 9 days after the VA scrapped their entrance fee.

morges1 Oct 12, 2018 2:49 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently (Post 30304685)

And on SIN-SYD just now.

Also en route to SYD on 15 Nov. Also no GGL invite (ever)!!

navylad Oct 12, 2018 2:51 am

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 30306579)

they are staggered so you may still get one...

technical_bob Oct 12, 2018 3:15 am

Originally Posted by callum9999 (Post 30305478)
Either way, my happiness that £20m is being given to a worthwhile charity greatly outweighs my sympathy for you having to hear an announcement while tired...

Well that's just very unsympathetic of you, I'm a delicate creature don't you know :p

Seriously though, charity is all about bang-per-buck, and gentle/intermittent persuasion generally works better. You don't see the most successful charities doing the TV equivalent of singing "I know a song that'll get on your nerves" the way Flying Start does.

IFE Wizard Oct 12, 2018 3:29 am

I went to the same 'Do' last year, which was in the Egyptian Room of the British Museum. Not a very large gathering but had a number of "celebrities" (and Alex Cruz).

Some of the celebs;
Lenny Henry
Claudia Winkelman
Russel Brand
Andy Parsons
Alexander Armstrong
Gary Lineker
James Nesbit
Shane Richie
Sarah-Jane Crawford.
And the guy who is the director in the comedy safety briefing. (Don't know his name).

May have been others.

Four or five, mainly comedians, got up to give a presentation on Flying Start and their fond memories of traveling with BA. After this Alex Cruz mingled with the attendees and chatted freely. A pleasant evening but one I wouldn't bother going a second time.

Tobias-UK Oct 12, 2018 3:45 am

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 30306587)

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 30306579)

they are staggered so you may still get one...

You may not appreciate that morges1 is in a very small club, not only has he been GGL since it was very first introduced, he is also a LTGGL, he's not even done TP runs - and despite all that he's never to this day received an invitation to a GGL event!

jerub Oct 12, 2018 4:01 am

Originally Posted by IFE Wizard (Post 30306653)
​Some of the celebs;
And the guy who is the director in the comedy safety briefing. (Don't know his name).

Hah.

Moomba Oct 12, 2018 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 30306689)
You may not appreciate that morges1 is in a very small club, not only has he been GGL since it was very first introduced, he is also a LTGGL, he's not even done TP runs - and despite all that he's never to this day received an invitation to a GGL event!

I don't feel so unloved now. ;)

This is the first GGL event I have been invited to in five years.

morges1 Oct 12, 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 30306689)

Thanks, T-UK. You're absolutely right - I think I'm going to approach you to be my manager!!

Rubecula Oct 16, 2018 9:52 am

Just received my invite. Only been GGL for a little over 2 years and this is my first invite to a GGL do. I will be attending.

Greenpen Oct 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 30305351)
.... despite having been London based for half a decade .....

"Half a decade" ? I know you navy chaps are a bit behind the times in how you measure things and talk about things maritime (so aero- stuff too) but this really is going to far: possible even a pole or or couple of perches too far.

stuart_f Oct 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen (Post 30322614)
"Half a decade" ? I know you navy chaps are a bit behind the times in how you measure things and talk about things maritime (so aero- stuff too) but this really is going to far: possible even a pole or or couple of perches too far.

It's well past 5 bells on the Dog Watch. You have to give navylad an allowance for these sort of things...

alexwuk Oct 17, 2018 8:03 am

I don't care about the celebs but the 3 year old Mstr alexwuk (who is a Bronze knocking on Silver) is a big fan of the science Museum so I'd have loved to have taken him - alas, no invite.

msm2000uk Nov 15, 2018 4:41 am

Hopefully a few other FTers will be in attendance this evening.

If you see a dark haired bearded chap talking to a fair haired bearded chap, come say hi.

M

wanderingjock Nov 15, 2018 7:56 am

Are the invites to these GGL events usually +1 ?

msm2000uk Nov 15, 2018 8:22 am

Originally Posted by wanderingjock (Post 30432260)

This one certainly was.

M

ThatT1Feeling Nov 15, 2018 8:29 am

Originally Posted by wanderingjock (Post 30432260)

​​​​​​

Almost always, yes. It's funny that I did receive an invite (not from BA) to the ATP finals this weekend. I assumed there would be a +1 and told them my guest name - I was then put back in my place!!

DFB_london Nov 15, 2018 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 30432375)
​​​​​​

Almost always, yes. It's funny that I did receive an invite (not from BA) to the ATP finals this weekend. I assumed there would be a +1 and told them my guest name - I was then put back in my place!!

The ltggl and high value ggl December event does not seem to be +1s. Make of that what you will.

Tobias-UK Nov 15, 2018 9:03 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london (Post 30432439)

The ltggl and high value ggl December event does not seem to be +1s. Make of that what you will.

It depends on the venue and the type of event, when I've received invitations to dinners - such as the Claridges, Ritz type events - there is normally no +1 but invitations to drinks receptions or F&M type events a +1 is included.

BAGoldBoy Nov 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 30432521)
It depends on the venue and the type of event, when I've received invitations to dinners - such as the Claridges, Ritz type events - there is normally no +1 but invitations to drinks receptions or F&M type events a +1 is included.

The BA/LP dinner at the Ritz last October was +1 and very enjoyable
​​​​​​
Also the December GGL event at Southbank is +1 and SWMBO and I will be there. Given the appalling food in F a few days ago on our flight to MIA I welcome the opportunity to give my feedback as I believe Ceri Davies will be attending.