Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sprained ankle in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you can swing it, either with insurance or paid, get it checked before you fly. Fractures which are seemingly not much to be concerned about on the ground, can become medical emergencies at high altitude. Worth eliminating the risk.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:59 am

Definitely get it checked before you fly. I had a hidden fracture for 6 months, only could be seen on a bone scan, not an xray. Flying with a fracture can lead to blood clots. A wise doctor would give you blood thinners.

I managed to get through airports no problem on crutches. Without calling ahead I was brought through security first, boarded first etc. Waited until last to deplane though, no need to hold people up.
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
My evac insurance is with MedJet Assist. One of their services to members is telephone consultation with a physician. A few years ago, I slipped on a carpet in my hotel room in Bangkok, jammed my foot into a piece of furniture. It hurt like hell. Called MedJet and explained the situation, -- I wasn't sure what to do, as I had never broken a bone before and didn't know how to tell or what it would feel like. While I was on the phone (in the same call), MedJet got me connected with an orthopedic surgeon on the phone. He spoke to me for, maybe, seven minutes and explained what had probably happened and what to do. (He suggested that I had probably broken the phalange behind the little toe, and he turned out to be exactly correct.) IMO that telephone consultation with a physician service is invaluable.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:37 pm
bil
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Flying with a fracture can lead to blood clots. A wise doctor would give you blood thinners.
The swelling seems to have reduced and I can put some weight on it now. However, the clots are pretty scary. When you claim that, do you mean that the fracture itself leads to blood clots or is it the fact that you are wearing a cast or other retention devices + the reduction in mobility that difficult blood flow? I am wearing an ankle brace that I can remove
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by bil
The swelling seems to have reduced and I can put some weight on it now. However, the clots are pretty scary. When you claim that, do you mean that the fracture itself leads to blood clots or is it the fact that you are wearing a cast or other retention devices + the reduction in mobility that difficult blood flow? I am wearing an ankle brace that I can remove
Generally speaking, ankle sprain or indeed ankle fracture are not in themselves significant risk factors for DVT, but immobilisation through a backslab or immobilisation boot (such as an air boot) are risk factors, I’d encourage you to move your leg regularly throughout the flight even if you are unable to out weight on it. I’d urge you to get professional medical advice rather than rely on flyertalk; good physicians will carefully weigh up benefits and risks of treatment considering all your personal factors; it really isn’t as simple as some are making out that just “take some blood thinners” if you have an ankle sprain or fracture.
Crampedin13A and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Some good advice here, I did the same thing last week in Cape Town. When I got to the airport I asked QR for assistance since it was a bit of a struggle hobbling around (didn't have crutches which would have made it easier). But they said I needed a fit to fly letter so I had to downplay everything and say I was fine and not have assistance. Once on the plane it was easy enough to order assistance in Doha and beyond without question. I put a tight ankle strap on for the flight which is the closest thing to a flight sock in my mind, then wiggled my toes a lot and went to the bathroom a few times in the flight to keep moving. Survived a 10hr and 7hr flight without clots Wish you all the best.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Not medical advice here.

I badly bruised my foot a few years ago at football.
met someone who was a hockey player who took one look at me and said Haemorrhoid cream will sort you.

hockey players get tons of bruises so some use it to soften the bruise to reduce the pain.

now how that affects flying I do not know but I’m sure many people fly with haemorrhoids after using cream so I assume your foot will be fine.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by bil
Both. Any time you injure yourself badly the broken blood vessels can lead to clotting, and adding in a long haul flight further increases the risk. I am not a doctor but i have had multiple ankle sprains and fractures through playing football, if you had heavy swelling it would be daft not to ask for a professional opinion ahead of such a long flight imo.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:29 am
bil
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by navylad
good physicians will carefully weigh up benefits and risks of treatment considering all your personal factors; it really isn’t as simple as some are making out that just “take some blood thinners” if you have an ankle sprain or fracture.
I couldn't agree more. And yes, it can be dangerous to trust medical advice from any online forum.

Thank you all for your replies, again. It is great to have this forum in these cases. I finally saw a doctor here in Beijing and I talked to my GP over the phone. The doctor in Beijing saw no signs of bone fracture and didn't give me any blood thinners. From the information I told him, my GP though this wasn't unreasonable. Tomorrow a little bit of LPGS, a nap and I will be in London
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by bil
I couldn't agree more. And yes, it can be dangerous to trust medical advice from any online forum.

Thank you all for your replies, again. It is great to have this forum in these cases. I finally saw a doctor here in Beijing and I talked to my GP over the phone. The doctor in Beijing saw no signs of bone fracture and didn't give me any blood thinners. From the information I told him, my GP though this wasn't unreasonable. Tomorrow a little bit of LPGS, a nap and I will be in London
There you go, better safe than sorry
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good result and smart thinking. There is no reason to settle for less than a competent medical opinion.
argonath likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.