Wiki Posts
Search

BA355 - 1st Oct. NCE to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
BA355 - 1st Oct. NCE to LHR

Hi, hoping for some quick help as we are not getting any information from airport staff.
We are sat in NCE Airport with 2 small tired children being told that BA355 is delayed, with no ETD known.

Is anyone able to give more information?
Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by holloway1000
Hi, hoping for some quick help as we are not getting any information from airport staff.
We are sat in NCE Airport with 2 small tired children being told that BA355 is delayed, with no ETD known.

Thanks.
Inbound has been diverted to Lyon and the flight after it has been cancelled, any bad weather in Nice at the moment?

Pilot37
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold

Thanks.
Hi,

Just check flight radar, looks like the incoming flight is diverted to Lyon
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA 355 now has a posted departure of 21:45
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pilot37

Inbound has been diverted to Lyon and the flight after it has been cancelled, any bad weather in Nice at the moment?

Pilot37
Thanks for the update.
Weather here is OK at the moment. Had a bit of rain but nothing serious.
Must be bad somewhere in-between

Which one is canceled?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It looks like the aircraft made an approach to NCE, went around, came back towards the airport for another approach but broke off and went to LYS where it's just landed.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Which one is canceled?
BA348, which was scheduled to depart LHR at 1615. But what EF says ("No entries") suggests that this cancellation has not happened recently.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It looks like the aircraft made an approach to NCE, went around, came back towards the airport for another approach but broke off and went to LYS where it's just landed.
Sounds like wind shear, which is a feature there
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Thanks for the update.
Weather here is OK at the moment. Had a bit of rain but nothing serious.
Must be bad somewhere in-between

Which one is canceled?
Hmmm.....well I am in the Nice area and at 1600ish for a good while we had storms, wind, rain, thunder, lightning etc. So I think it would have been that which caused the issues with 354.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boyfrombiot

Hmmm.....well I am in the Nice area and at 1600ish for a good while we had storms, wind, rain, thunder, lightning etc. So I think it would have been that which caused the issues with 354.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks for the update. That's the problem with only being able to see in one direction out of the airport. We didn't see any lightning,and not a huge amount of rain.

At the moment the ba app shows 21.15
The airport screens say 21.40

I guess its just a waiting game now.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:06 pm

My worst approach (as pilot) was in to Nice on a clear blue-sky day last summer. There was a wind coming off the Alps which was swirling around the bay - you wouldn't have known a thing at ground level but at a few thousand feet it was some of the most uncomfortable turbulence I've encountered. We tried an approach to both runway directions and both times encountered "windshear" (which is a mandatory go-around) before we gave up and diverted. 2 hours later we tried again and it was smooth as you like!
shefgab and smokie36 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Sounds like wind shear, which is a feature there
Looks like the ETD has gone back further.

I'm guessing that wind shear would put it out of scope for ec261?
​​​
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Looks like the ETD has gone back further.

I'm guessing that wind shear would put it out of scope for ec261?
​​​
Windshear is just a guess on my part, have a good listen to the pilot when you board the aircraft since they normally give chapter-and-verse. But yes, windshear plus a diversion would normally rule out EC261 on its own, there may be other factors that could bring it back in contention - so let's see what happens - but when there is a diversion you are probably in the realms of extraordinary circumstances.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
My worst approach (as pilot) was in to Nice on a clear blue-sky day last summer. There was a wind coming off the Alps which was swirling around the bay - you wouldn't have known a thing at ground level but at a few thousand feet it was some of the most uncomfortable turbulence I've encountered. We tried an approach to both runway directions and both times encountered "windshear" (which is a mandatory go-around) before we gave up and diverted. 2 hours later we tried again and it was smooth as you like!
Wow, very interesting insight. How would you define wind shear? Is this just vicious, unpredictable cross wind?

How often does this happen there? Obviously a costly excercise to divert to another airport and come back 2 hours later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.