Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dining in the Dark

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:42 am

I am a convert to the 07:55 when I have the option, especially when in Y. Get home tired enough for sleep at a sensible time. TATL is always too short for a decent sleep regardless of the cabin. We had a massive tailwind last month and were in lhr in under 6 hours.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:05 am

Was on the 7pm last night (BA0174) was the 777 thankfully with the Thales IFE. Menu did advise of express dining option. I simply asked for a starter, pudding and cheese all on one tray with a large whisky. Duly delivered on one tray. Think as it was a Saturday night there might have been more than normal wanting a full meal. All past over the raised divider which I was fine with and allowed the passenger in 10B to get a good kip. I felt the service struck a good balance.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This is a great idea on the 747. Designate UD as a 'sweet dreams' section or similar where lights will be off for the duration of the flight and noise is discouraged, full drinks service available for a night cap if you want it but no meal service will be provided until breakfast (as late as possible in the flight) to avoid clanking cutlery. Put some Hotel Chocolat chocolates on top of the bedding packs on the seats with a little note that says 'Sweet Dreams!' or similar.

75% of the J seats on the plane still available for anyone who wants a meal service on the flight.
So if as suggested in post 7 most people want to sleep wouldn't it make sense for the 75% to be sleeping area and leave the smaller upstairs area for those in the minority who want to eat?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by simons1
So if as suggested in post 7 most people want to sleep wouldn't it make sense for the 75% to be sleeping area and leave the smaller upstairs area for those in the minority who want to eat?
I think it seems like a big leap to go from no designated quiet area to most of business class being a designated quiet area. I’m also not sure it’s true ‘most’ people on the flight want no meal service option at all, but perhaps it is, who knows.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze

I have done a fair bit from LHR - East and to Oz in J with BA and never encountered the Sleeper Service before . I’m wondering whether this is a new thing, or just for TA flights?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:45 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Sleeper Service was for East Coast US flights to LHR departing late evening , designed to maximize sleep. BOS, NYC and PHL (IAD too ?) had sleeper services. YUL did not.
It was reported Sleeper Services was to disappear with the introduction of the new catering.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
I have done a fair bit from LHR - East and to Oz in J with BA and never encountered the Sleeper Service before . I’m wondering whether this is a new thing, or just for TA flights?
Sleeper service is now dead, it used to be from a range of North America cities and a few Middle East countries. It's still on the BA.com website however. In its earliest incarnation the Sleeper Service meal was something like rarebit and a biscuit with hot chocolate. The idea was that people would have their meal meal in the lounge, though from some locations such as YUL this was wishful thinking and was altered later on. In any event, it has now evolved into the Goodnight service on a wider set of overnight services, which has a proper meal on it, but is indeed to be served rapidly to maximise sleep. JFK Upper Deck is normally the reserve of status passengers, and while the UD service on paper is exactly the same as downstairs, at least in my JFK experiences the WW crew try to get the meal out to those who want it (sometimes not many will eat, and soup + cheese is a common option) and facilitate sleep for the rest of the cabin. This is more evident on the later services from JFK, but it's not unusual to have UD full of Golds not eating. Breakfast will then rushed out 50 minutes from landing at least in UD, and at one stage JFK had a takeaway bag for breakfast, again to maximise sleep. I would say JFK is 75% business travellers in CW, outside the holiday seasons, though that's just a guess.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems very foolish to have removed the Sleeper Service.

It’s also notable in WT+ on East Coast flights just how many people decline the food service. However I come prepared for those with industrial strength ear plugs, eye mask and sleeping tablets. Travelling in a Club I would expect a much more sleep conducive experience.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s coming back.
Globaliser, rossmacd and argonath like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Sleeping pax consume less food, less alcohol and don't bother / free up the crew.
I'm pretty sure BA would love it if more of their pax were asleep.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I have about 4 sets of the old pure and soft beige cotton BA F eye shades. They work perfectly for me. SWMBO can put the light on, read her ipad, whatever. (1 in the day bag, 1 in each of 2 cases, and 1 by my bed)

Now that problem is solved, I need an equally good solution for my ears. I can't wear my noise cancelling posh Sennheiser ear/head phones, they are uncomfortable. The non-electronic plug in thingies are useless.

Solve my ear/hearing problem, Then, you can eat and drink all you want.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It’s coming back.
Fantastic ^^^

The one and only reason I take BA from JFK/PHL-LHR on the overnights: sleep, sleep and sleep.

In order to maximise sleep time, I will eat before arriving at the airport (ideally in Manhattan/downtown) or in the relevant lounge, typically the CCR in JFK which is generally good for food (better than LHR, in my opinion). Then I will take a Nytol 50mg on the jet bridge prior to boarding giving it enough time to kick in. Typically I will try to select a 747 service to get the UD, but this is not always possible based on scheduling. I will change into my own jogging bottoms/t-shirt that I have specifically for aircraft sleeping just after boarding. Bedding is prepared by removing from the packaging and into the UD bins for easy/quick access, complete with my personalised moulded ear plugs and Cathay F eye mask. Of course, if taxi times are long (I spent over 100 minutes in the queue at JFK on Wednesday evening - it was very busy!) then I can doze upright for a short while. Literally as soon as the wheels have left the ground, then bed is down to get straight to sleep (I'm sure some will criticise this - lowering the bed before the seat belt sign has been deactivated). Having declined any sort of breakfast (by not accepting one of the silly cards), I can sleep solidly until the 40 minutes out speech by one of the drivers at the front. It has been known that I had to be waken by the CC at the 20 minutes out mark, so really using all available time for sleep. The experienced CC typically know that the frequent travelers want to get their head down as quickly as possible and do try to facilitate this. This strategy/performance has worked for me on countless numbers of JFK-LHR and less so PHL-LHR overnight services over the last 3 years.

As a big fan of AA crossing the Atlantic to the US, I do not like their overnight services from the US, since it is difficult to get any decent sleep due to prolonged time that the seat belt signs are on then the onboard service. I find the day US-LHR flights a complete waste of a day personally, so will always take an overnight.

Great to hear the news of re-introducing the proper sleeper service - although the new service concept hasn't really affected my ability to sleep to be perfectly honest. This is good news, and I very much look forward to hear more about it.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I have about 4 sets of the old pure and soft beige cotton BA F eye shades. They work perfectly for me. SWMBO can put the light on, read her ipad, whatever. (1 in the day bag, 1 in each of 2 cases, and 1 by my bed)

Now that problem is solved, I need an equally good solution for my ears. I can't wear my noise cancelling posh Sennheiser ear/head phones, they are uncomfortable. The non-electronic plug in thingies are useless.

Solve my ear/hearing problem, Then, you can eat and drink all you want.
Not sure it helps you but I ind a combination of ear plugs and noise canceling headphones over the top just amazing. I can't hear a thing!
endoman and Ancient Observer like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Does this concept also apply in F?

My return from JFK for our first first trip is listed on the sleeper service link above. I have no intention of suffering poor service, I've paid money to enjoy the exact same service as a daytime departure heading westbound.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ConfusedByBAEC
Does this concept also apply in F?

My return from JFK for our first first trip is listed on the sleeper service link above. I have no intention of suffering poor service, I've paid money to enjoy the exact same service as a daytime departure heading westbound.
No, Sleeper has never applied in First (and doesn't apply anywhere at the moment). Regardless of cabin, if you want service in a dark cabin, use the call-bell, and if that isn't doing the job, speak to the CSL, CSM or CSD. Night flights can be somewhat tedious for the crew and in most cases they look forward to a bit of inter-action with the passengers mid flight. The only time to avoid if possible is for about 15 minutes after the meal service, since the crew will typically have been on the go for several hours by this point.
ConfusedByBAEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.