Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC Luggage Tags

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by lall
Last week I made a trip to Cyprus (Lanarca) and when my checked baggage came out on the carousel, the securely attached BA'a Gold tag along with its strap was missing, which leads me to believe that it was most probably stolen.
Why on earth would someone steal someone elses baggage tag?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by lall
Last week I made a trip to Cyprus (Lanarca) and when my checked baggage came out on the carousel, the securely attached BA'a Gold tag along with its strap was missing, which leads me to believe that it was most probably stolen.
More likely ripped off by the baggage system somewhere. Do you use wire cable ties, or the BA-issue strap?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I have tags from a separate tag-manufacturing company (Tags4Crew) which prints stills from the safety videos.

My name and BAEC number are printed on the back and on the front is a still from Ian McKellern and Warwick Davies saying "Wizard Pipes are completely out". No BAEC statuses shown.

I do have my BAEC card strapped inside my carryon - which I can flop out if needed (when joining Group 1 etc.)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
More likely ripped off by the baggage system somewhere. Do you use wire cable ties, or the BA-issue strap?
I used the BA strap it went missing also. Had the tag itself been damaged, at least my baggage would have come out with the strap.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use similar to this >>> [
Amazon Amazon

Mine were £0.89 for 10, IIRC.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I have tags from a separate tag-manufacturing company (Tags4Crew) which prints stills from the safety videos.

My name and BAEC number are printed on the back and on the front is a still from Ian McKellern and Warwick Davies saying "Wizard Pipes are completely out". No BAEC statuses shown.

I do have my BAEC card strapped inside my carryon - which I can flop out if needed (when joining Group 1 etc.)
I like it. lol
https://www.tags4crew.com/wizard-pip...ion-5564-p.asp
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by dombo17uk
Not sure if this means anything, but I rarely see a gold tag on hand baggage.....?!
Don't see a point in having those on a carry-on baggage either, but I do keep one in an external pocket of bags I check-in, so that they can be returned if luggage tags get lost / destroyed. I know this is silly, but I am not very comfortable with having a name tag with my full home address on/in a bag, while status tags have just enough information for an airline to contact me if need be.
Crampedin13A and florens like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luitje
Don't see a point in having those on a carry-on baggage either, but I do keep one in an external pocket of bags I check-in, so that they can be returned if luggage tags get lost / destroyed. I know this is silly, but I am not very comfortable with having a name tag with my full home address on/in a bag, while status tags have just enough information for an airline to contact me if need be.
Assuming someone looks in that pocket, of course!

At least the BAEC tag on the outside gives someone a “starter for ten” when a bag is found. The inside of ours has a printed A4 with all necessary contact details, excluding address deliberately. Only those who need to know need to know!
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Assuming someone looks in that pocket, of course!
At least the BAEC tag on the outside gives someone a “starter for ten” when a bag is found. The inside of ours has a printed A4 with all necessary contact details, excluding address deliberately. Only those who need to know need to know!
There are good odds that if baggage tags are removed inside the Big Jumbled Black Box (aka Automated Bagage Handling System), status tags will get stripped off a bag too. From what I know, airport employees are allowed to inspect content of external pockets of unidentified luggage, hence it is where my tag goes (thankfully I didn't have a chance of checking efficiency of this medthod yet).
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
At the risk of being judged, I will say that I use the tags to look for other road warriors to start conversations with whilst standing around waiting for the airport shuttles, trains, etc. It's not much different than when I spot a fellow retired paratrooper based on a tie pin or jacket label and I start up a conversation which leads to war stories and a couple pints. I fully recognize that some won't understand what I am saying and that I may sound self-absorbed, so I welcome differences in opinion on this topic. : - )
T8191 and FeedbirdNiner like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Opinion remains divided, as it has been in the numerous previous Threads on this subject.

There is a small risk that jerry-a-laska will post a long list of links. ICBA
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (OneWorld Emerald) & Hilton Honors Diamond
Bronze does get you into club check in, which can be quite a time saving, personally having a tag is a good way of flagging to staff the level of benefit as well as an easy lost and found add-on.

I have used both Bronze and Silver tags, and continue to do so.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
I don't use one on carry-on but can see the advantage when the bins are full. I certainly don't put one on checked luggage as I think that could attract theft in the luggage system (never in the UK of course, ahem). I find Radioactive and High Voltage stickers quite a deterrent, at least my bags have never been tampered with in 55 years of freqent flying incl to some notorious countries.
T8191 and FlyingScientist like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:40 pm

• Has on occasion resulted in being pulled out of the queue for a new desk, etc.
Got me pulled out from near the end of a long queue and directed to the business class counter on checking-in with KLM (!).
T8191 and kosy91 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Got me pulled out from near the end of a long queue and directed to the business class counter on checking-in with KLM (!).
So we still have one friendly country in the EU. I always liked the Dutch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.