Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Single bag, overhead or feet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
PS, I’m not moaning just using a scenario for discussion.

im usually bulkhead anyway. Normally 1F in CE or 21k etc in WT+ so need to put in overhead.

cheers
bob in the sky bar
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
A Gold card a day keeps the yellow tag away...
Not necessarily so, Sir. My wife has been ‘yellowed’ with her very small carry-on and a tiny handbag.

We just laugh and move on. I’m sure it made some agent happy, but it still doesn’t prevent LUDICROUS amounts/sizes of hand baggage getting into the cabin.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Not necessarily so, Sir. My wife has been ‘yellowed’ with her very small carry-on and a tiny handbag.
I assume that she did not have two gold cards then?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I assume that she did not have two gold cards then?
No, just the one on her carry-on. The handbag one would be rather DYKWIA, wouldn’t it!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TBD
Way to be community citizens, people. If you think you've got a "right" to use the overhead with your small bag, then you are part of the very problem you're complaining about.

There isn't enough room for everyone to have a bag. Your view won't change that. So you could either be a good passenger (relative to other pax) and store your bag where appropriate - under the seat if it's small - or you could be selfish and exert your "right" (which is not a right) and make someone else fight for space.

I'm average height and have never had a case where this mattered. Either the seat pitch is too small for me to angle my legs under the seat in front of me. Or the seat pitch is large enough and I don't need the space.
To be a "Community Citizen" , perhaps those with the large carry on bags that mean that there isnt enough space for everyone to be able to use the overhead bin should perhaps check their bag in rather than expect others who did check in to not use it
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards
BA LHR-MAN shuttle this week. Partner has large-ish wheely, DLSR camera and medical equipment - all in the overhead locker. I have rucksack half-full and small handbag - instructed to put all under my feet where they wouldn't fit, and would certainly have been instructed to put in the overhead locker on other airlines for safety reasons. Lots of people with suitcases much larger than normally seen on airlines. Why should I be penalised? The silver lining was passing out with exhaustion after an overnight flight so I didn't notice the extremely cramped conditions.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
To be a "Community Citizen" , perhaps those with the large carry on bags that mean that there isnt enough space for everyone to be able to use the overhead bin should perhaps check their bag in rather than expect others who did check in to not use it
Took the words right out of my mouth. If i've paid to put a bag in the hold ( on an LCC) or have used my free checked baggage allowance on eg BA then I dont expect to have to put my carry on on the floor impeding my floor space because those "Community Citizens" who were too tight on an LCC or felt they couldn't possibly wait 20 mins to get their hold bag of the carousel took up all the room. For those tempted to counter "I might be in a rush for a very important meeting the other end" I simply say get your s**t together and organise your flight better if said meeting is so important you can't wait.
flygirl68 and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Those yellow tags are rubbish anyway. They just fall off. Never had a single one make it as far as the plane. Someone should do something about that.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:55 am

I personally blame the roll-aboard generation, and C-W-S for advocatiing HBO

The ‘urgency’ of people’s lives apparently means they can’t wait for 10-20 minutes for hold bags to emerge. So, without any rational reason for avoiding that small delay, they HAVE to take everything in the cabin.

On a recent sector I saw a guy with 3 backpacks, and his female companion with another one (plus large handbag, of course). Evident holiday pax, but STILL had to fill the cabin with their luggage.
You can only blame the airline for this.

Firstly any hand baggage policy that allows 23kg bags in the cabin is nonsense and encourages people to bring the kitchen sink.

Also if people are bringing 3 bags into the cabin then that is a failure of the gate staff. However we know over the years that BA culture is 'conflict avoidance, why would the gate staff deal with it when it is easy to pass the buck and make it the crew's problem?

There is also the recent tendency for people to try and get their bags off the plane even in an emergency.

One day there will be an incident where the weight and quantity of hand bags is found to be a contributory factor and we will all have another session of 'Cruz looking pained in a flak jacket' whilst he tries to explain another BA-lls up.
flygirl68, T8191 and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, OK, I'll blame the airline as well.

Personally I'd rather not have the inconvenience of numerous or oversized/heavy bags whilst trying to get on board, nor have the stress associated with trying to find somewhere to stow them.
flygirl68, AmaaiZeg and TWCLAM like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Personally I'd rather not have the inconvenience of numerous or oversized/heavy bags whilst trying to get on board, nor have the stress associated with trying to find somewhere to stow them.
UncleT, I fear someone may have stolen your FT login. Otherwise I'm unable to reconcile the above with a genteel pair of Senior Citizens in royal blue plaid that I encountered in the JER BA lounge, not so long ago, anxiously looking at their watches and the FIDs, dashing off as soon as Priority Boarding was anywhere near contention, queuing up in the established Middle England tradition, and fretting about whether it was going to be enforced or not. You (or your doppelgänger) may recall that CWS finished off his tea, had another cuppa, and doubtless a sticky bun as well, walked on to the aircraft as the last passenger with said bag, found a suitable spot for it (not necessarily next to me, but near enough), and sat down. But for the LGW "Left side and Lift" secret manœuvre being shared with you, I think I would still have been landside in LGW afore thee!
PUCCI GALORE, HIDDY and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I personally blame the roll-aboard generation, and C-W-S for advocatiing HBO

The ‘urgency’ of people’s lives apparently means they can’t wait for 10-20 minutes for hold bags to emerge. So, without any rational reason for avoiding that small delay, they HAVE to take everything in the cabin.

On a recent sector I saw a guy with 3 backpacks, and his female companion with another one (plus large handbag, of course). Evident holiday pax, but STILL had to fill the cabin with their luggage.
As a confirmed hand baggage girl, I check as little and as rarely as possible. If the airlines could promise that one's bags and oneself could be reunited within 15 minutes, I would reconsider. If they could promise never to lose or damage cases or their contents then, again, I would reconsider. I respect the size that I am allowed to carry ,as BA is generous with the weight, and as I am not built like a Russian Female Stevedore then I can lift with ease. As I am Gold, I am usually in row 1 so my all my hand baggage has to be stowed in the overhead lockers. Moreover, it is not just the waiting at the carousel, it is the faffing around to check them in the forst place - particularly if, like at Valencia, Club may be over the desk, but it is a free-for-all as often as not.

No, packing is sometimes thought provoking to get everything in as there are so many cables etc to charge Ipads, Iphones etc. I never take hair driers and an expert taught me how to pack cleverly even though I have never achieved his brilliance. I only check bags from France or Italy when I have bought groceries that I cannot take aboard and occasionally to ALC as I can take aboard neither Marmite, HI's favourite cheese, or Italian jam (the best this side of Home Made.Last time, we waited 40 minutes for our bags.

OP - if it is your only bag, then take the stupid tag off and put it overhead. They do the same when I am in Row 1 or sweetly ask if I'd not like to check it. I'd not, thanks for asking.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
UncleT, I fear someone may have stolen your FT login. Otherwise I'm unable to reconcile the above with a genteel pair of Senior Citizens in royal blue plaid that I encountered in the JER BA lounge, not so long ago, anxiously looking at their watches and the FIDs, dashing off as soon as Priority Boarding was anywhere near contention, queuing up in the established Middle England tradition, and fretting about whether it was going to be enforced or not. You (or your doppelgänger) may recall that CWS finished off his tea, had another cuppa, and doubtless a sticky bun as well, walked on to the aircraft as the last passenger with said bag, found a suitable spot for it (not necessarily next to me, but near enough), and sat down. But for the LGW "Left side and Lift" secret manœuvre being shared with you, I think I would still have been landside in LGW afore thee!
Priceless. You'd probably think that you'd encountered Snow White's Mother or one of Cinderellas Sister if you saw me.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C-W-S
UncleT, I fear someone may have stolen your FT login. Otherwise I'm unable to reconcile the above with a genteel pair of Senior Citizens in royal blue plaid that I encountered in the JER BA lounge, not so long ago, anxiously looking at their watches and the FIDs, dashing off as soon as Priority Boarding was anywhere near contention, queuing up in the established Middle England tradition, and fretting about whether it was going to be enforced or not.
Ah, but you will recall that on this particular occasion (TR = PHX17 for the uninitiated) we were flying in Eeeekonomy, were totally out of our normal CE [relative] comfort zone and totally dependent on the nourishment you had kindly provided.
We were also, you will recall, suffering from stress caused by a lack of BPs for the next sector and the prospect of flying 'down the back' with EI ... and you were there beside us at LGW while EI staff spent some 10 minutes trying to generate them!
Overall this was NOT a normal Uncle T/iWife journey, although we were still hauling 2 suitcases to cover a fortnight 'Over There' and the inevitable retail additions to the outbound load.

Last edited by T8191; Sep 23, 2018 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A wonderful insight into how newbie Golds act at the airport. I have to assume this was a prearranged meet up and you didn't suddenly appear from nowhere and introduce yourself to the Jersey Royals?
dougzz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.