Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol consumption in CE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I personally dislike these slightly over familiar comments.
IAN-UK, wrp96 and amanx like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
On a recent 3.5 hour CE flight my husband had 5 and bit whiskies I say ‘a bit’ as the first one was poured, I noted a crack in the glass so pointed it out to him. He took a big glug and then pointed it out to CC. He then got another 5 miniatures plus the small bottle of wine for the meal. He’s an Aberdonian so likes to get his money’s worth!!

His wife stayed relatively sober to ensure we got to the hotel that night.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:09 am

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I once had a much more direct "we don't expect people to drink this much !" on a CDG -> JFK flight with AA.

I didn't think three glasses of wine on that was excessive, but clearly a member of cabin crew did !

That was the same flight the crew asked me if I was travelling with my daughter when I was travelling with my wife ... (she is not THAT much younger than me !)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Pumplekin
I once had a much more direct "we don't expect people to drink this much !" on a CDG -> JFK flight with AA.

I didn't think three glasses of wine on that was excessive, but clearly a member of cabin crew did !

That was the same flight the crew asked me if I was travelling with my daughter when I was travelling with my wife ... (she is not THAT much younger than me !)
The wife or the wine?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Guess the OP didn't like the whine...
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well oiled is acceptable being told you're pished would be a tad too familiar.
CatchThePigeon likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
This thread reminds me of the time I was sitting in the front row of CE, and during take off the cabin crew member in the jump seat in front of me could see I was mouthing the words to red red wine by UB40 which I had on through my headphones.

On asking me what drink I would like during the meal service later on, she asked if I wanted some champagne...or some ‘red red’ wine - accent and all! Made me chuckle! 😂
vulle and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:04 am

ATCoLad, the comment was uncalled for and inappropriate, in my opinion. British Airways staff 'banter' is not a strong selling point for me. I prefer the courteous and efficient service offered on better airlines. Delivering good service doesn't reduce crew to robots. It makes them professional human beings doing a tough job well. That I respect.
janwillem, ATCOlad and amanx like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What did the crew member say when you challenged their comment?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I've managed three on a 70min flight before. Crew could have called me anything at the end and I wouldn't have cared.
I guess I should hang my head with shame at my 4 piccolos on a London Heathrow to Dublin once then. Good times :P
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
I had a fair share of smart remarks by various BA cabin staff (and not only about drinks) but always followed by some friendly conversation
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Personally I don't think it's excessive at all based on what I would probably drink on a similar length flight, but I am not the OP and I have no idea of how they handle their drink. I would have thought that the sober crew member would have been best placed to judge whether the OP was in actual fact "well oiled" but, like most of the other replies, I think it was just banter and a good-natured comment at the end of an enjoyable flight.

I did have one flight with Cathay where I went back to the galley to get more wine both for myself and my girlfriend and was gently chastised by the crew on the basis that alcohol has a more pronounced effect when flying, and that maybe this should be my last for a while. I suggested she looked at the manifest and she'd see this wasn't my first time flying. I never had to return to the galley after that. The crew suddenly became a lot more proactive in offering us wine from that point on.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I had 4 Tigers (and was given 2 more for the road) on a 50 minute NCL-LHR on a Friday night a few years ago.

The aircraft was nearly empty and I was sat right at the back. The crew were clearly game for a laugh which was appreciated after a sh*tty week.

BA at its best.

Those were the days...

Last edited by TraumaDoc; Sep 21, 2018 at 10:49 am Reason: grammar
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by trooper
I think you are being way too sensitive. You obviously interacted quite a bit with the "happy and attentive" FA...and yet you are upset that he made a subtle (and IMO friendly and gently amusing) comment?? I would have laughed and agreed after that ,much booze in that amount of time (it would certainly put you over OUR allowed BAC for driving...so "well oiled" seems apt to me!)

I completely disagree. The comment was rude. Calling someone well oiled is in no way "friendly and gently amusing" unless they are friends.

In no way is the OP being too sensitive.
ATCOlad and AnaTravel like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:19 am

Add the drinks you had in the lounge to the total. Three or more and you are well oiled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.