Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No gluten free hot items in lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:19 am
Original Poster

No gluten free hot items in lounge

Just popped into the business lounge at Gatwick. All hot food items now contain gluten. Seriously BA, why are you putting wheat flour into a curry?? You've gone backwards instead of forwards here.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Gluten tastes delicious. Celiac Disease is really rather rare.
I guess you can't expect the lounge to cater to every single dietary requirement. No matter how popular or "in vogue" said requirement has become over past few years.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I think the point is that BA are adding Gluten to items that didn't previously have gluten. OR are simply saying 'contains gluten and nuts' on everything to avoid potential problems.

There are very few dishes that don't have simple alternatives i.e. cornflour is better for thickening anyway

Doesn't impact anyone else? I think close to a million people in this country have gluten insensivities of one kind or another, so BA's main lounges should cater in some way - after all they do on board.

I'm not gluten free btw.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Gluten tastes delicious. Celiac Disease is really rather rare.
I guess you can't expect the lounge to cater to every single dietary requirement. No matter how popular or "in vogue" said requirement has become over past few years.
​​​​​​​Can't believe the insensitive nature of this reply...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by labdoctor
Can't believe the insensitive nature of this reply...
I bump into it everyday. It doesn't help that things like gluten free shampoo are now being advertised (sheesh).

I really don't expect every item to be GF, but it was nice that there was always one hot dish to be able to choose and now it's none. As was pointed out, corn flour is far better for thickening.

And non-celiac gluten sensitivity is really a thing. Proven by science and everything
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
It's an airline lounge, not a hipster bar nor a health clinic cafeteria.

While it would be indeed nice to have gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian and you name what ever else fad/medical requirement catered for I frankly do not see this being an issue...

I do agree that wheat has no place in a curry though!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frandrake
It's an airline lounge, not a hipster bar nor a health clinic cafeteria.

While it would be indeed nice to have gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian and you name what ever else fad/medical requirement catered for I frankly do not see this being an issue...

I do agree that wheat has no place in a curry though!
We're all in agreement. Take the wheat flour out of the curry and everyone's happy, except cupsandsaucer who likes added gluten
Buzzz likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Sorry but corn flour is just a different type of thickener, not worse or better. We use corn flour a lot but regular flour still has its purpose as a thickener.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
At least there's a fine salad selection so no-one needs to starve.
Wembleygal likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by labdoctor
Can't believe the insensitive nature of this reply...
+1
​​​​​​​Uncalled for.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Celiac Disease is really rather rare.
Celiac disease may be rare, gluten sensitivity is not so rare. Also, diets designed for inflammatory diseases advise to avoid gluten.

Curries, tangines, chili con carne and the like do not need any flour added. They just do that as a cheap filler and to make it gloopier.
Scots_Al and Grande Annee like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Really don't think my reply was that "insensitive".
Fact of the matter is, "gluten intolerance" outside of Celiac disease wasn't even a thing cira 10 years ago. It's popularity has risen in direct proportion to social media trends and fads. Sorry, but that is the facts. And quite frankly I am tired of having my food choices limped because of passing fads.
I know two people who are "gluten intolerant". sometimes they forget , sometimes its all they talk about. I mean the less said about them the better.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Choo-choo the outrage train is arriving right on time.

I have too many allergies to reliably list, but shaming people isn't really the way to go. I'm not entitled enough to claim that it's necessary for society / companies to cater to small outliers, but on the other hand it would be nice if they did.

I've sometimes had to abstain from the hot buffet in the galleries lounge, and it's okay. Gluten in curry, though, that sounds like something that could be improved. I want a real curry, please. (I remember the red curry was edible but it always made me sad to know how much better it could be).

I would write to BA in a very polite and open manner, as it's certainly not easy for someone without allergies or other dietary requirements to know how it is for us. I'm sure they could pay a little attention to their menu to offer a warm gluten free option. They've came up with lots of those in the past but they just happen not to have on this rotation.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat
This is annoying because it's just actually unnecessary! You don't necessarily expect BA to go out of their way to produce gluten-free versions of foods that usually have it, but to add it to foods that usually don't is just annoying.
cosmo74 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by KathyMarie
This is annoying because it's just actually unnecessary! You don't necessarily expect BA to go out of their way to produce gluten-free versions of foods that usually have it, but to add it to foods that usually don't is just annoying.
FWIW flour in curries isn't that unusual. I add it whenever I'm making Japanese curry which differs quite significantly from Thai or Indian curries.
ktllo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.