Search

Hong Kong waivers for Typhoon Mangkhut?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Hong Kong waivers for Typhoon Mangkhut?

Does anyone have any information, please, about when BA will publish waivers for travel to/from Hong Kong over the next few days? It looks like closest approach will be on Sunday evening local time (16 September). I see that CX, LH and VS (and possibly others too) have already published waivers, and it seem inevitable that BA will have to do something similar at some stage.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Hi Globaliser - I can’t believe BA haven’t done anything - it’s all over the press in HK and we had a T3 warning yesterday as I am sure you’re aware.

Poor show on BA if still nothing there waiver wise - I left HK today but I can imagine it’s going to be chaos this weekend.

Maybe try your Corp TA?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
KL have cancelled flights on Sunday and Monday according to a friend who is in HKG at the moment and scheduled to leave on the last flight out onSaturday.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by our_kid
Hi Globaliser - I can’t believe BA haven’t done anything - it’s all over the press in HK and we had a T3 warning yesterday as I am sure you’re aware.

Poor show on BA if still nothing there waiver wise ...
There's quite a number of airlines that haven't yet published anything, so BA isn't alone. But as it's inevitable, I was wondering whether anyone had any information on when it will come.

I think that the number 3 signal yesterday was for a different storm that's now passed. Mangkhut is still east of the Philippines, and normally the trigger for number 1 is a distance of (IIRC) 800 km, which I think is about the distance to the closest point in the Philippines.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Have to say, Im currently in HK (Leave tomorrow on BA32) and did not even know about Mangkhut (which kinda says my family arent too concerned...) until I read this post....
Reading about it, seems i picked the right day to leave.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:58 am

Travelling to HKG tomorrow but I think that's at least a day or two before it hits, should be an interesting weekend.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Calum
Travelling to HKG tomorrow but I think that's at least a day or two before it hits, should be an interesting weekend.
Typhoons in HK are fascinating, it's just about the only thing that stops the place. So long as you are somewhere safe - which is mostly everywhere - and you don't need a taxi (who will charge stupid rates) then the thing to do it to go to a high building, listen out for the sirens, and watch HK temporarily swept into eerie, well organised submission by the forces of Nature. But not for long.
our_kid, Calum and shek3112 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I guess this explains why I have gotten several flight disruption emails with the offer for a 1 free itinerary change from Hong Kong Airlines for my return flight sha-hkg-lax Sunday evening.

Just pushed back from LAX on our outbound segment. Should prove to be an interesting weekend.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by expert7700
I guess this explains why I have gotten several flight disruption emails with the offer for a 1 free itinerary change from Hong Kong Airlines for my return flight sha-hkg-lax Sunday evening.

Just pushed back from LAX on our outbound segment. Should prove to be an interesting weekend.
Sounds like you got the same HX “offer” that I did! Keep safe.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_gb
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great - thank you very much!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Deleted.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:22 am

BA had cancelled both 031 and 027 departing LHR on saturday. Thus the Sunday service of 032 and 028 ex-HKG would be cancelled as well
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:12 am

Yes can confirm that the 32 on Sunday night is cancelled as we were due to be on it. BA offering a flight on 19th as the earliest replacement. This is no good for us so we are going via Sing tomorrow morning.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
All European airlines have cancelled their flights arriving in HKG on Sunday.
Departure from HKG on Saturday evening could be quite turbulent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.