Wiki Posts
Search

747 F v 380 J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
On the return we'd be catching the BA58 leaving CPT at 19.30. Comair don't fly WDH - CPT so I am planning to arrive on SA Airlink at 17.05.
Is that on one ticket? If you're on two separate tickets, what's your backup plan?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Nope - separate tickets as the BA flight is with Avios.

Our connection from JNB-WDH on Comair is on a separate ticket too as the BA agent I spoke to when booking said she couldn’t book a revenue and avios booking on the same PNR.

With our return, back up plan wise I don’t think it’s possible to have one given BA only fly once daily from CPT in winter 😞

Other option is to fly to JNB, sleep there for a night and then fly home on the 8am departure the next day as there is no availability on the overnight flights at present.

Last edited by clarkeysntfc; Sep 11, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back up plan wise I don’t think it’s possible to have one given BA only fly once daily from CPT in winter
One possible backup plan is to have 26:25 between the flights rather than 2:25 - particularly if having two separate tickets is likely to mean no through-checking by SA onto BA, with a consequent need to clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs and then get to the BA check-in desk in time for the T-60m bag drop cut-off.

Alternatively, if you're flying on a day when there's a morning or lunchtime flight from WDH to CPT, take that instead of the one that you're currently planning.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:15 pm

My daughter and I also did the VIP Fast Track at JNB, connecting to MUB. It was well worth the extra cost, as we were immediately taken to the front of the immigration line and sailed on through. Yes, I did feel guilty passing the line, but was surely glad to be through and on our way. It helped our recovery time once we reached our final destination.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chancensam
My daughter and I also did the VIP Fast Track at JNB, connecting to MUB. It was well worth the extra cost, as we were immediately taken to the front of the immigration line and sailed on through. Yes, I did feel guilty passing the line, but was surely glad to be through and on our way. It helped our recovery time once we reached our final destination.
I'd love to know more about this. Cost, company name and so on if you wouldn't mind?

Are queues usually long then?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:54 pm

Nope - separate tickets as the BA flight is with Avios.

Our connection from JNB-WDH on Comair is on a separate ticket too as the BA agent I spoke to when booking said she couldn’t book a revenue and avios booking on the same PNR.

With our return, back up plan wise I don’t think it’s possible to have one given BA only fly once daily from CPT in winter 😞

Other option is to fly to JNB, sleep there for a night and then fly home on the 8am departure the next day as there is no availability on the overnight flights at present.
I hope you enjoy F! One of my first BA trips was in F on a 747 (back in the early 90's) and i recall it as spectacular, well that is the memory of a very excited flyer at the time. Flying in the nose felt very special.
Separately I have had the same issue at JNB and did the overnight at the Intercontinental airport hotel there which I thought was great and a very short walk to the terminal.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:18 am

Notice you've made your mind up, good. Just to chime in as posted by others the UD on the 380 isn't great. I actually don't like it. F in the nose of a 747 is always great Enjoy.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Originally Posted by eugegall
I'd love to know more about this. Cost, company name and so on if you wouldn't mind?

Are queues usually long then?
The company we used was Bidair, we booked and paid online. It was around £50 for me and Mr RR at the time but it will depend on the exchange rate at the time of booking. The queues can be very very long and usually when we have been through ORT, not enough staff on duty can add to a lengthy wait. We have been through ORT 6 times in the last 5 years and will be going again next year when connecting to WDH and will use Bidair again. We found them very easy to deal with.
We were met by a gentleman just after we got off the aircraft, guided to the front of the said queues, then onto baggage reclaim. From departing the aircraft to the car hire reception desk was approx 20 minutes.
BidAir
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Regarding the connection at CPT we’ve bottled it and gone for an overnight layover in JNB before catching the new 8am departure the next day. There were no overnights available on our return day (23rd Aug) but I’ve set up an alarm on baredemptionfinder.com should one emerge.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding the connection at CPT we’ve bottled it and gone for an overnight layover in JNB before catching the new 8am departure the next day.
To the extent that "bottled" might have a pejorative connotation, I don't think it's warranted. That sounds like a very sensible compromise: it doesn't delay your return by as much as 24 hours (even though it sounds like it wouldn't cause you any difficulty), and if you're taking an extra day to complete your holiday, then a day flight has many benefits in any event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.