FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best way to utilize 90k Avios for non BA flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1928143-best-way-utilize-90k-avios-non-ba-flights.html)

Fine Art Landscape Photographer Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Best way to utilize 90k Avios for non BA flights

Hi all,

Please suggest what I can do with about 90k Avios if I were not to use them for BA flights (since I hear taxes will be too much). I am Oneworld Emerald & AA Executive Platinum and open to convert these miles into other airline miles and / or hotel points.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Takiteasy Aug 30, 2018 1:46 pm

Depends where you are based. Have you browsed https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...spending-avios?

Best advice is to PM me and I will tell you which Exec Club account to gift them to 😀

nkvuong Aug 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer (Post 30149358)
Hi all,

Please suggest what I can do with about 90k Avios if I were not to use them for BA flights (since I hear taxes will be too much). I am Oneworld Emerald & AA Executive Platinum and open to convert these miles into other airline miles and / or hotel points.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

It depends on where you are based. BA short haul redemptions actually have very low tax, and ex-HKG or ex-Brazil won't carry surcharge either.

Fine Art Landscape Photographer Aug 31, 2018 7:31 am

I'm based in JFK / LGA / EWR / MIA / FLL. From what I've read its very hard to redeem BA Avios for reward flights and about taxes. I would prefer to use them for something else that would be more easier to get.

LondonElite Aug 31, 2018 7:34 am

The taxes are not very high, the surcharges are. There is also a thread rant in the AA forum where posters are bemoaning the inability to find any AA saver seats in J. Welcome to air miles 2.0

flatlander Aug 31, 2018 7:59 am

JFK-HNL one way in J, fly back the other way in the back of the bus or use other miles for that.

golfmad Aug 31, 2018 8:10 am

Just use them on regular AA routes. If you can find MilesAAver awards you should be able to use the Avios. The taxes/fees on domestic AA itineraries are very low.

mickeyjaw Aug 31, 2018 8:16 am

Another option is a transatlantic J return (JFK-MAD or MIA-MAD) on Iberia, assuming you can find availability.

To minimise the fees, you'll have to transfer your Avios from BA to Iberia. If you book Iberia via BA you'll get stung with high fees, if you book Iberia via Iberia you won't.

You'll need to open an Iberia account, earn 1 or more Avios in it (use their shopping portal to make a cheap purchase) then wait 90 days before you can transfer though.

golfmad Aug 31, 2018 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer (Post 30149358)
Hi all,

... and open to convert these miles into other airline miles and / or hotel points.

And of course don't forget that you can use Avios for hotels and car rental without converting or transferring them.

stephem Aug 31, 2018 9:29 am

I am in the US as well, although west coast, and I find Avios to be a great deal for AA and AS flight up and down the west coast. There are awards within a certain mileage band that are only 7500 avios each way, which AA would charge 12.5k Aadvantage miles for. Also, now that AA domestic are fared as business and not first, you can get those same routes for 15k avios (2x multiplier, instead of 3x) which is cheaper than AAdvatage redemption by 10k miles.

email2markt Aug 31, 2018 9:47 am

Yes, definitely check the AA website for likely Avios flight availability. There's all sorts of quirks with the BA site. We had the "no AA availability showing at all" issue until recently. And the other week I found if there are more than 5 daily flights with Avios availability between 2 locations, you may find some of the flights don't show up in the results.

Fine Art Landscape Photographer Aug 31, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks for advice everyone. I will try to see if I can redeem Avios for some AA flights.