Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best way to utilize 90k Avios for non BA flights

Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Hi all,

Please suggest what I can do with about 90k Avios if I were not to use them for BA flights (since I hear taxes will be too much). I am Oneworld Emerald & AA Executive Platinum and open to convert these miles into other airline miles and / or hotel points.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Depends where you are based. Have you browsed https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...spending-avios?

Best advice is to PM me and I will tell you which Exec Club account to gift them to 😀
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer
Hi all,

Please suggest what I can do with about 90k Avios if I were not to use them for BA flights (since I hear taxes will be too much). I am Oneworld Emerald & AA Executive Platinum and open to convert these miles into other airline miles and / or hotel points.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?
It depends on where you are based. BA short haul redemptions actually have very low tax, and ex-HKG or ex-Brazil won't carry surcharge either.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

I'm based in JFK / LGA / EWR / MIA / FLL. From what I've read its very hard to redeem BA Avios for reward flights and about taxes. I would prefer to use them for something else that would be more easier to get.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The taxes are not very high, the surcharges are. There is also a thread rant in the AA forum where posters are bemoaning the inability to find any AA saver seats in J. Welcome to air miles 2.0
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
JFK-HNL one way in J, fly back the other way in the back of the bus or use other miles for that.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Just use them on regular AA routes. If you can find MilesAAver awards you should be able to use the Avios. The taxes/fees on domestic AA itineraries are very low.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Another option is a transatlantic J return (JFK-MAD or MIA-MAD) on Iberia, assuming you can find availability.

To minimise the fees, you'll have to transfer your Avios from BA to Iberia. If you book Iberia via BA you'll get stung with high fees, if you book Iberia via Iberia you won't.

You'll need to open an Iberia account, earn 1 or more Avios in it (use their shopping portal to make a cheap purchase) then wait 90 days before you can transfer though.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer
Hi all,

... and open to convert these miles into other airline miles and / or hotel points.
And of course don't forget that you can use Avios for hotels and car rental without converting or transferring them.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I am in the US as well, although west coast, and I find Avios to be a great deal for AA and AS flight up and down the west coast. There are awards within a certain mileage band that are only 7500 avios each way, which AA would charge 12.5k Aadvantage miles for. Also, now that AA domestic are fared as business and not first, you can get those same routes for 15k avios (2x multiplier, instead of 3x) which is cheaper than AAdvatage redemption by 10k miles.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Yes, definitely check the AA website for likely Avios flight availability. There's all sorts of quirks with the BA site. We had the "no AA availability showing at all" issue until recently. And the other week I found if there are more than 5 daily flights with Avios availability between 2 locations, you may find some of the flights don't show up in the results.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for advice everyone. I will try to see if I can redeem Avios for some AA flights.
golfmad and email2markt like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.