Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Classic DYKWIA Behaviour in T5 North Galleries

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:30 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Whilst he was anti social so were you. Actually I think you were the worst behaved.

How would you like it if other people came and moved or touched your stuff whilst you were getting some food and drink or went for a pee?

You wouldn't would you and I bet you'd even post on here about how your things were touched and how unacceptable it was.
Actually I don't think I was antisocial - you need to think Cause and Effect here and may be look at what was the cause of my having to take action? I had also asked him politely first. I feel sorry for you if you genuinely do not feel my action was justified.

I can't comment on how I would feel if the same happened to me because there is no way in a million years I would hog ALL the sockets in a bank when there were clearly others who wanted to use just one of them each. I really would not dream of such anti-social behaviour
GadgetGal and RockyRobin like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by lizban
My office/man cave in my garden has 4 double sockets each with 2 usb charging points as well.

Why public spaces where people are likely to charge things (coffee shops / lounges etc) don’t use these I don’t know.
The "new" QF lounge in T3 does 👍
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:34 pm
BOH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I don't think this is unreasonable to be honest because lounge charging capacity is not really measured by the number of sockets, but in socket-hours (i.e. number of sockets x number of hours the lounge is open per day, or if you like the number of sockets x number of hours that a given person is in the lounge).

If the person in question took two sockets three times to fully charge the six devices he would use exactly the same amount of charging capacity. Using all six sockets at once means that more sockets are free later, which is not unambiguously better or worse that the situation observed.

Most people will be in there for 30 to 60 minutes or maybe even more, but there are so many flights that every couple of minutes a socket will become free. In that time any given passenger is likely to find the sockets they need if they look hard enough. And if they are in there for less time then probably their devices would not get a good charge anyway, so it does not matter. And if they forget before the last 20 minutes then they should have been more organised.

Are you serious or is it April Fools day already? That has come round quickly

One point I have here from your last paragraph. Why should other pax who have found a nice armchair in one of those clusters of them have to go hunting for another power socket somewhere else because some to$$er takes every single one of them for himself? Why should they have to do this?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOH
I feel sorry for you if you genuinely do not feel my action was justified.
I really don't want you to feel sorry for me at all. I'm not even sure why what I think should bother you so much that you feel sorry for me.

You simply did not have the right to touch any of his property no matter how justified you felt.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
“No, nothing was plugged in when I arrived. The plug must have just fallen out of the socket. You really should have that looked at, it’s not normal...”
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:50 pm
BOH
Original Poster

I really don't want you to feel sorry for me at all. I'm not even sure why what I think should bother you so much that you feel sorry for me.

You simply did not have the right to touch any of his property no matter how justified you felt.
....but he felt he had the right to use ALL power sockets in the bank to the complete exclusion of everyone else. And if he felt justified to do that then that presumably is that perfectly OK in your eyes and should go unchallenged? How would you have handled the situation having already politely asked to use just a single socket?

What do you feel is more important here? The behaviour of the bloke in question or the behaviour of the person who rectified the situation for the good of the other pax too and sent the anti-social oik away with a humiliating flee in his ear? If he thinks next time and doesn't do it again then this presumably is a good result for all concerned?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:52 pm

People pass through airport lounges in all kinds of states: happy, grumpy; rested, tired; sober, drunk; tolerant, irascible. The guy using all the sockets experienced a reaction at the milder end of the spectrum of possibilities, if you ask me. "Rights" don't really come into these matters of personal behaviour, do they?
origin and rickg523 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I totally agree with the OP. He was being a total knob hogging all the power sockets to himself. Even politely asking him if he could use just one and him replying "no" who the hell does he think he is! I would have done the same as the OP or probably said some firm words to him; there is no need to hog all the ports to himself and then have the ordasity to say NO when asked to use just one of the power sockets.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:09 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BOH
Actually I don't think I was antisocial - you need to think Cause and Effect here and may be look at what was the cause of my having to take action? I had also asked him politely first. I feel sorry for you if you genuinely do not feel my action was justified.

I can't comment on how I would feel if the same happened to me because there is no way in a million years I would hog ALL the sockets in a bank when there were clearly others who wanted to use just one of them each. I really would not dream of such anti-social behaviour
I agree, there are people who will be flying on planes w/o charging sockets and would appreciate being able to charge in the lounge... before anyone suggests that the man is flying on a short haul flight, why would you need an electric shaver on one?!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
The "new" QF lounge in T3 does 👍
USB charging sockets......information security nightmare!
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Padmeister
I totally agree with the OP. He was being a total knob hogging all the power sockets to himself. Even politely asking him if he could use just one and him replying "no" who the hell does he think he is! I would have done the same as the OP or probably said some firm words to him; there is no need to hog all the ports to himself and then have the ordasity to say NO when asked to use just one of the power sockets.
Then yank them while he's right there. I hate port hogs in lounges. And this example is certainly the most egregious I've heard of. But I still have a problem with breaking down that simple agreement that we don't mess with one another's typically unattended stuff. Adopting the attitude that it's okay is just not going to end well for lounge civility.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Then yank them while he's right there. I hate port hogs in lounges. And this example is certainly the most egregious I've heard of. But I still have a problem with breaking down that simple agreement that we don't mess with one another's typically unattended stuff. Adopting the attitude that it's okay is just not going to end well for lounge civility.
I simply have a problem with the ordasity of this person! I would never do this myself; and just think bugger everyone else in the lounge I will hog all these available sockets to myself. Maybe I think of others too much
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by BOH

I think you overstepped as well. If you needed to charge you should find different place and not unplug other people’s devices.
And unplugging then all is just childish bordering on riff raff
dougzz likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

I think you overstepped as well. If you needed to charge you should find different place and not unplug other people’s devices.
I'm curious, as you seem to find unplugging all the devices "childish," is there a priority list you'd point OP to so he knows which of this hog's devices to unplug?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77

Surely you are not serious? The top and bottom of it is that bloke was taking the piss! I can understand why the OP unplugged them! I don't think he was being childish at all....why should he go off looking for a free socket somewhere else when some inconsiderate sod is using 6 sockets at once for himself?
RockyRobin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.