Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAN - LGW

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by memesweeper
I’d have thought MAN LCY (not just for positioning) has more chance of getting off the ground. As a point-to-point (O&D) destination LGW isn’t as attractive as LCY IMO.
I think that there is a fat chance of that opening - except maybe on some 20 pax tiny plane maybe. The attractiveness of MAN-LCY point to point is close to zero for anything London, you just can't beat the two hour service into Euston, with commuter train connections from almost anywhere in the area has Piccadilly has such a great network. Euston is a lot closer to the City and the West End, the only part you might remotely attract are people going to Canary Wharf and whether that is any shorter than train+cab is dubious.

The only point of MAN-LGW were a mix of the connections to other planes, and connections to Southern trains to Brighton and much of the channel coast. There is very little O/D traffic and indeed there is very little MAN-LHR O/D traffic too.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by SoiDog
If you're based in Manchester and want to get a BA service from LGW it's either a long drive, a rail journey including a cross London change (oof) or LHR and transit to LGW.
Until recently, it used to be cheaper and the same amount of time (but with less connections) to change at Watford/Milton Keynes then Clapham Junction, completely avoiding London altogether.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by memesweeper
I’d have thought MAN LCY (not just for positioning) has more chance of getting off the ground. As a point-to-point (O&D) destination LGW isn’t as attractive as LCY IMO.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think that there is a fat chance of that opening - except maybe on some 20 pax tiny plane maybe. The attractiveness of MAN-LCY point to point is close to zero for anything London, you just can't beat the two hour service into Euston
I thought MAN-LCY exists already...

Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Andrew_G
I thought MAN-LCY exists already...

Not a proper schedule....once day a week when the LCY fleet repositions back after weekend schedules.

So unlikely to help that many people.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed, those are merely positioning flights. During the summer season, BA fly from MAN, STN, BHX, etc during the weekends using aircraft that would otherwise be stuck at LCY earning no money. See BA forum for details. The flights you see are merely to position the plane to MAN to start that weekend sequence, then bring it back to LCY for the start of the new week. It's bookable but those two flights are merely an accidental consequence of the weekend schedule proper.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2

Perhaps as said, there is just no profit in it, and can't compete with the train ? There is of course a cut off point where the train can be cheaper and quicker than flying, city center to city center.
For sure the train fron NW England to the capital is very convenient and often good value but that can’t be said of the connection from Euston to either LGW or LHR especially for leisure flyers with holiday luggage. I can go back to the time when it was possible to get to Gatwick by direct train from many parts if the country but those days are long gone sadly.

The end result for me is that BA isn’t a viable option for so many of the destinations I would otherwise choose them to get me to.
happeemonkee likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I think JER is interesting, I guess being an island there is probably a decent amount of O&D traffic unlike MAN, but still presumably an argument for moving it to LHR.
JER is very easy to explain if you think about it. There are no JER-LHR routes and no-one is going to start one. BA faced no competition from LCCs until recently and now it’s only U2 to LGW.

Jersey is an island - you fly or you take a long ferry. If you need to fly from LHR, you will make it there.

Why would an an airline waste valuable LHR slots to generate no extra business?

i think this answers itself.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
I had no idea there wasn't a MAN - LGW. What about other domestic routes? I'm GLA based, and do occasionally use the LGW route, for trips to London and to connect.
What about ABZ, EDI, NCL, INV etc ?

Does MAN have an easyjet or Ryanair option ? or even flybe !?

EDI, GLA and NQY are the only domestic BA routes at LGW with NQY being served by flybe with a BA codeshare.

cs
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:39 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Blueboys999

For sure the train fron NW England to the capital is very convenient and often good value but that can’t be said of the connection from Euston to either LGW or LHR especially for leisure flyers with holiday luggage. I can go back to the time when it was possible to get to Gatwick by direct train from many parts if the country but those days are long gone sadly.

The end result for me is that BA isn’t a viable option for so many of the destinations I would otherwise choose them to get me to.
That's exactly my opinion. Why on earth would I want to go through the LHR connection when I can fly better airlines east and west? Oh, and if I fly BA I have to pay for my seat selection. Oh, and then I get a 30inch seat pitch on the flight to LHR. Oh, and a clapped out 747 or 777.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I miss the LGW-MAN route, which closed about 5 years ago. The NCL flight went before. The 10 a.m. (or so) flight from Gatwick to Manchester was often pretty full of folk coming off Caribbean flights. It must be less convenient for them now. At one time, there was a late flight from MAN at about 8.30 pm, which was useful to me quite often.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's exactly my opinion. Why on earth would I want to go through the LHR connection when I can fly better airlines east and west? Oh, and if I fly BA I have to pay for my seat selection. Oh, and then I get a 30inch seat pitch on the flight to LHR. Oh, and a clapped out 747 or 777.

same here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.