Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CW Upper deck 747 - direct aisle access seat pairs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CW Upper deck 747 - direct aisle access seat pairs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A well-used picture of the escape from 63A ... I must take a new one next time I'm on the UD
Attached Images  
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
A well-used picture of the escape from 63A ... I must take a new one next time I'm on the UD
You only fly AA transatlantic now T8191 ?!

Following the above pic and your previous tips - I am trying this seat on Monday for the first time
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You only fly AA transatlantic now T8191 ?!

Following the above pic and your previous tips - I am trying this seat on Monday for the first time
For a change we're doing LHR-PHX with BA/747 next Feb (63A/B, of course). OH found a cheap fare!! OK, a direct flight, which goes against our principles, but TPs look OK for Gold renewal by May 19

And using LHR T3 for the first time, so get to explore the wonders of the CX Lounge!

Happy travels ... would be nice to hear how you found it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Its funny; when travelling with someone I love the BA J seat set up more than perhaps any other. The way you can chat and see each other is much nicer than a side by side set up. I wouldn't sacrifice that for a limited problem of stepping over a footstool. But I suppose as I find this easy its not a trade off at all for me.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by drpabs
If what I have understood about the 747 upper deck is correct, the pairs of seats which meet my criteria should be, in decreasing order of desirability: 64AK, 62AK, 63BJ, 60BJ.
If your requirements don't include sitting next to each other, then there is no magic in a "pair" like 62AK. They are a long way apart from each other and cannot really see each other, let alone talk to each other.

So why restrict yourself to seats that happen to have the same number? Your requirements would be equally satisfied if you were in, for example, 62A and 63B - and the occupants of those two seats can actually see each other if they lean forward (although I don't recommend shouting across the gap).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In 63A/B we often hold hands across the divider. Even after 37 38 years of marriage

God, how time flies!!

Last edited by T8191; Aug 20, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
I'm finding the seat map on the BA app very confusing. I'm really looking forward to our first trip on the UD of the Queen of the Skies soon and actually had the same question about isle access.

Are you saying that 62B has someone [i.e. 61A] stepping over them? The marking of the Exit makes it seem like it would not.

Also, any advantages of 63AB over 62AB?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

61A climbs over 62B.

The EXIT bit is just to identify those who are responsible for assisting in an emergency evacuation ... nothing to do with Aisle access at all.

As you have probably noted, as a couple we use 63A/B and allow My Lady to squeeze through the gap by the cabin wall ... because she can!
wrp96 and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Ah - now I've seen the picture. I might give that pair a try for this particular flight.
Can you confirm that the windows are "normal" i.e. no fewer windows than with other comparable seats?
Thanks!!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Climb, OED, "Move with effort".

do people really struggle stepping over the footstool?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
In 63A/B we often hold hands across the divider. Even after 37 38 years of marriage

God, how time flies!!
Nervous flyer, after all those years in the RAF ?
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ukgooner

Yes, generally so but especially on overnight flights where one is keen not to disturb the sleeping passenger being climbed over.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
I'm finding the seat map on the BA app very confusing. I'm really looking forward to our first trip on the UD of the Queen of the Skies soon and actually had the same question about isle access.

Are you saying that 62B has someone [i.e. 61A] stepping over them? The marking of the Exit makes it seem like it would not.

Also, any advantages of 63AB over 62AB?

Thanks!
In 63AB neither passenger has anyone climbing over them and both passengers can access the aisle without climbing over anyone - 63B obviously so and 63A by squeezing around the side as in T8191's photo upthread.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold

Yep, people with restricted mobility. Some people who look okay may have balance problems standing on one leg. EG people with early stage MS.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:41 am

Its funny; when travelling with someone I love the BA J seat set up more than perhaps any other. The way you can chat and see each other is much nicer than a side by side set up. I wouldn't sacrifice that for a limited problem of stepping over a footstool. But I suppose as I find this easy its not a trade off at all for me.
This is true, I actually think this is an often overlooked benefit of this layout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.