Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Abandoning an itinerary between LHR & LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (OneWorld Emerald) & Hilton Honors Diamond

I wonder if anyone can help around the T&Cs and possible issues of travelling short on the return leg of a trip from India.

I see there are some great deals from AMS in J, on the way out AMS to LHR to BOM, and on the return trip BOM to LHR , and then LGW to AMS.

it would be great to have a few days in AMS, then fly to India and when I get back to LHR, just go home and deliberately miss my final flight back to AMS from LGW.

From what I've read elsewhere it looks like I'd get my bags back at LHR for the self transfer to LGW, so my question really is will BA surcharge me or do something else to sanction me from travelling short like this?

Last edited by MileHighFizz; Aug 18, 2018 at 4:02 pm Reason: adding a jpg
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
This question gets asked a lot - precis of the answer is you'll probably get away with it if you don't make a habit of it but could get your BAEC account sanctioned (no evidence that has happened), if you've booked through a TA there is a risk they'll get sanctioned.
MileHighFizz likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Steven Jack
I wonder if anyone can help around the T&Cs and possible issues of travelling short on the return leg of a trip from India.

I see there are some great deals from AMS in J, on the way out AMS to LHR to BOM, and on the return trip BOM to LHR , and then LGW to AMS.

it would be great to have a few days in AMS, then fly to India and when I get back to LHR, just go home and deliberately miss my final flight back to AMS from LGW.

From what I've read elsewhere it looks like I'd get my bags back at LHR for the self transfer to LGW, so my question really is will BA surcharge me or do something else to sanction me from travelling short like this?
Hi,

You will get your bags back at LHR.

BA will not surcharge you for doing this once ( if there was a repeated pattern then the likelihood would increase)

( The only potential fly in the ointment would be if the BA BOM-LHR flight was cancelled ( you could be rerouted BOM-AMS) but this is unlikely

Regards
TBS
TBS
MileHighFizz likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, looks like it could be a nice money saving option. :-)
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:22 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by bisonrav
if you've booked through a TA there is a risk they'll get sanctioned.
I will highlight this bit - if you book through a Travel Agent it becomes much more important to complete the journey because there’s a fairly high chance they will be surcharged under the agreement BA has with them. They would be fully entitled to come after you for that surcharge amount, which could be anything from a few hundred pounds to several thousand.
MileHighFizz likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:32 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
I've skipped about 50% of my final legs for these sorts of ex-EU tickets, without consequences so far. I try to line things up so that at least some of the final legs are worth taking to see friends/family or to start off business trips, and then I'm more relaxed about dropping the final legs I don't want.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by NNH
I've skipped about 50% of my final legs for these sorts of ex-EU tickets, without consequences so far. I try to line things up so that at least some of the final legs are worth taking to see friends/family or to start off business trips, and then I'm more relaxed about dropping the final legs I don't want.

blimey. 50% of roughly how many returns are we talking ?

cs
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:53 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

blimey. 50% of roughly how many returns are we talking ?

cs
Roughly 8 out of 16 since 2012. As ever, past performance is no guarantee...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I will highlight this bit - if you book through a Travel Agent it becomes much more important to complete the journey because there’s a fairly high chance they will be surcharged under the agreement BA has with them. They would be fully entitled to come after you for that surcharge amount, which could be anything from a few hundred pounds to several thousand.
I wouldn't say they would be 'fully entitled' - that would be open to debate.

In any event can you point to a single example of a TA doing this where the passenger was made to pay?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

In that event, I can always say I was taken unwell and felt unable to fly onwards, and so went home to rest. I guess also booking using an Amex card, Amex are pretty good at taking the customers side and reversing unauthorised additional charges.

I have to imagine very few TA's would take legal action to recover such money. But I suppose they might black list me from using them in future.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
if you book through a Travel Agent it becomes much more important to complete the journey because there’s a fairly high chance they will be surcharged under the agreement BA has with them.
Have we ever found out what happened to Propeller Travel in the end?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
BA is entitled to reprice your itinerary and you're entitled to politely decline to pay, making the rest of the ticket void.

You can do this as many times as you want, even once a week if you so wished to do so, there's nothing else BA would do as per their own contract with you and described in the conditions of carriage. As described here:

3c5) If you change your transportation without ouragreement, your unused flight coupons will not be valid for travel and will have no value and we will not carry you until:
  • we or our authorised agents have re-calculated the revised fare for your actual transportation and
  • you have paid the difference (if any) between the fare you have already paid and the revised fare which applies to your changed transportation.
If the revised fare is lower than the fare you have already paid, we or our authorised agents will refund you the difference.
​​​​​
MileHighFizz and LCY8737 like this.

Last edited by mario; Aug 18, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:05 pm
Suspended

‘...we will not carry you...’ looks like a bit of a promise.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I wouldn't say they would be 'fully entitled' - that would be open to debate.

In any event can you point to a single example of a TA doing this where the passenger was made to pay?
It would be much easier for the TA to do this with employer-paid tickets, e.g., where the TA is the corporate agent. BA simply administratively debits the refare to the TA and the TA passes that debit on to its customer, one's employer. How the employer deals with that is an internal matter having nothing to do with BA or the TA.

Given that even the Propeller incident was fairly unique, either this does not happen or the people who get caught committing ticketing fraud don't come to FT to complain about it.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:12 am

To cut to the chase this is classic ex-EU stuff.

If OP has booked on ba.com then it's exactly the right strategy: pick up the bags in LHR and head off home. I have never seen a case of action being taken.
anniegray likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.