Wiki Posts
Search

Unnecessary daggers thrown...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by PAL62V
How good would it be if they were FT members and reading this thread!!��
Be careful what you wish for! I am sure I’m not alone on discovering after an event, that I was sharing a cabin with a pax who enjoyed spleen venting both on board, with an orchestra of tumbleweed, and then later on, on FT. Let’s just say it’s often interesting to witness some accounts ;-)

I hasten to add it was definitely not the same situation as the OP, with whom I sympathise, but it is a small world. The similarity is that we live in a world with more than its fair share of bubble living self-entitlement depite the tumbleweed. With that, I’m off to self-righteously self-reflect on my own sanctimonious self-serving narcissism.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:35 pm
Suspended

When I run into this kind of entitlement and indignant behavior, I actually enjoy the "daggers" and the passive aggressive barbs. I enjoy watching them steam at my refusal to play "unite the couple". I relish the fact that they are angry and upset. I consider it punishment.

And I like your fellow pax's comment about being Gold. If they were, they would most likely have been able to get seats together. Either they booked last minute and STILL expected it, or they were lying. Either way, I hope they enjoyed not sitting together.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Demeanour, attitude and manners play a big part. If someone behaves in a self entitled way, demands to swap or "instructs" me to move then the answer is inevitably going to be no. Use a bit of charm and I might agree.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
"bubble living self-entitlement"

Does that apply to all goldies in pairs, or to each and every goldie?

(Great phrase. I'll use it one day)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Killian_S
The lady kept throwing daggers towards me...
She was no lady, dear. Her behaviour is more accurately described as a female dog.
kaka and lhrhappy like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Killian_S

Look, it was a distressing experience for me as I'm not a confrontational person (by my DNA). In hindsight, I should have suggested that the wife swap with someone downstairs, but in that situation, it's not too easy (unless you've been in that situation before) to think of these things.
I think you done well considering the type of people they were. I suspect I wouldn't have handled it any differently.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This is an unfortunate consequence of the BA seat layout. I've never turned down a seat change request on QR or CX, because most seats offer the same amount of privacy. I refuse to sit in a BA aisle seat, I feel so exposed.

Last year I flew HKG-LHR. The booking was relatively last minute so I couldn't snag a window. Settled on 53E, which in past experience was private enough once the dividers were up.

When a large family boarded and started sitting in the aisle seats all around me, I braced myself for the inevitable seat switch request. To be fair, the mother approached it beautifully: instead of asking me to switch, she asked "Did you choose that seat specifically?" I replied that I had and would switch for a window. They only had aisle/middle seats so the matter was dropped.

I came to regret this, as the two teenage girls beside me spent the majority of the flight standing in their seats and talking to each other over me. I had noise cancelling headphones but couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. Made for a very uncomfortable and sleepless flight!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:46 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rocketship87
This is an unfortunate consequence of the BA seat layout. I've never turned down a seat change request on QR or CX, because most seats offer the same amount of privacy. I refuse to sit in a BA aisle seat, I feel so exposed.
Off topic, but a warning to those travelling on the CX A350 in J. There are two seats 11 D/G which are basically part of the toilet. If someone asks you to swap to those seats, refuse.
kaka, wrp96 and fluffymitten like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Does anyone else ever ask the FAs to shut people up? Or is it just me?

And I don't mean crying babies - I mean adult conversations, toasts, singing, or anything else loud enough to disturb the entire cabin.
I do - and the most annoying time was when I was returning on an early morning flight from IST on TK on their A321 with the proper J seats. There were only me and two gentlemen in the cabin, both of whom were of religious persuasion (will not explicitly say which, to avoid the FT "what does that have to do with it"-crowd). They were so loud that you could likely have heard them all the way to the aft galley. I asked the FA if they could kindly ask the two to be quiet so it would be possible to get some sleep - which he did, only to be met with the "discrimination card" and a long argument...

This is an unfortunate consequence of the BA seat layout.
Not all things are down to the layout though - last year flying BKK-LHR in 2A/B on the 772 (first row), we boarded only to find a couple who apparently could not distinguish the number 2 from whatever else they had. Having learned from experience I let the crew sort it, so turned straight around to the CSM who went to boot them out - at first though, they conveniently could not find their BPs....At no point was there any suggestion from the CSM that we move though, and he (before i managed to request it - which I would have done) offered to find replacement blankets and pillows for us, as the seat poachers naturally had made themselves comfortable in an attempt not to be moved But big credit to the CSM though, who turned out to be a good laugh in-flight too.

I've never turned down a seat change request on QR or CX, because most seats offer the same amount of privacy.
I suspect that is only if you are given a choice - I have had discussions with the QR ground staff at CPH twice where they told me to move (after boarding, and after settling in!) so a family could sit together in three of the 1-2-1 seats on the 788. No choice given, just rather rudely "move" - to 5K which is the window-coffin with no actual window! I asked her if that is really how she wants to speak to their paying customers, who had selected seats in advance? - Surely that family could have done the same, as QR does not charge for seat assignments. She blamed QR operations and said it never happened to her before - to which I replied "well, that is a lie because you personally did the same thing to me a few months ago" (which is absolutely true - only that time was 1A to 1K so I did not mind the switch, only the way of being presented with it)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Originally Posted by leachster
I am frequently asked if I could swap seats and the response is always the same.

I would, but don't want my family standing by my grave, mourning your charred remains IF we crash. I've never once had a come back.

Although that did cost me an hour and a half delay once, while we waited to offload a nervous passenger sitting in front who had clearly overheard said response and couldn't stop crying.

C'est la vie!
...people are now looking at me strangely in the office as to a why I laughed out loud.
Not quite dagger eyes tough

I've found when I've moved (rarely though) cabin crew have gone out the way to treat me specially. It's their appreciation of not needing to potentially defuse a situation.
When I moved it was from a window seat to a middle seat. Again the husband/wife thing. Strangely though the middle seat offered was an empty pair, hence I moved to have more private space. I guess some husband/wives just want to face each other...
SKT-DK and ChrisLi like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I assume you're referring to 'bassinet-gate'. I think you're wrong in that the two cases are wildly different. In bassinet-gate a whole family HAD reserved the seats needed to accommodate family inc baby, only to have equipment change throw those plans into disarray. BA could have done more to help them however in the end they ended up with half of what they wanted and did the right thing trying to get the family back together again in one row. They did nothing wrong. In this case though, well...I think we know who is doing something wrong and it boggles the mind that a GCH doesn't pre-book seats anyway? It's not going to cost anything.
The best seat swap experience I had was on a LHR-NBO. I had just been upgraded after Take off from WTP to CW (To free up my seat to move someone into whose seat had inop IFE). The crew had warned me it was a middle seat which didn't bother me. When we got to my new seat location there was a couple there that asked if I minded swapping with them as they had an aisle and the neighbouring middle and thought I might like the aisle while they would like to be in the neighbouring middle. Needless to say I accepted immediately.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by leachster
I am frequently asked if I could swap seats and the response is always the same.

I would, but don't want my family standing by my grave, mourning your charred remains IF we crash. I've never once had a come back.

Although that did cost me an hour and a half delay once, while we waited to offload a nervous passenger sitting in front who had clearly overheard said response and couldn't stop crying.

C'est la vie!
i do that too, or offer them a silly price AND that to make sure I get the boarding pass of that other seat because i dont want their family mourning me.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I would have suggested that is she were so stressed about sitting away from her husband that there would be economy passengers willing to swap so they could sit together.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA's yin yang is a magnificent way to enjoy these situations.

Establish dominance of the divider gap.

NEVER BREAK EYE CONTACT WHILE THE DIVIDER IS DOWN.

On how many other airlines could you play motorized divider games with dagger lady?

​​​​​​​
wrp96, flyingmonkie and bigwalrus like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 16, 2018 at 11:34 pm Reason: Remove animated gif per rule 8
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Regardless of one’s own status surely the correct response to the “I’m a gold cardholder” is either:
- “I thought the upper deck was for Premier and Gold Guest List only, when did that change?”, or
- “and where is the giraffe going to sit?”
SKT-DK and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.