Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice needed after equipment change leaves us without bassinet seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed after equipment change leaves us without bassinet seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
The were no other babies on the flight at all... Not one.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
And regarding the luggage - I can't see why on Earth this is a policy? We were significantly under our allowance, and having extra bags would have made getting around the airport with a newborn virtually impossible: four suitcases, four cabin bags, two car seats, one push chair, two children, all to be handled by two adults...

Another case of not being reasonable with families...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:43 pm

Well..the problem is the allowance is for X number of bags at or under 23kg. NOT for a total weight... Perhaps an attempt to keep the number of truly heavy bags to a minimum?

As the problem with bassinet seats is they are not guaranteed by any airline I'm familiar with...

I don't understand why people don't buy seats for the number of people travelling..instead of expecting special treatment by virtue of having children.

I seem to be Mr Grumpy today......but the OP has suggested quite clearly they think it would be "fair" to move OTHER PEOPLE.....for their convenience...
etiene and Britflyer18 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by trooper

I don't understand why people don't buy seats for the number of people travelling.
And then what? Do you believe that just because I'd buy a seat for my little one, he's happy to spend his time in the car seat? The bassinet is by far the best option until they come of age (or size, whichever happens first). Unfortunately you can't buy a seat for an infant AND request the bassinet. If that'd be an option I'd concur with you.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Midlander
And regarding the luggage - I can't see why on Earth this is a policy? We were significantly under our allowance, and having extra bags would have made getting around the airport with a newborn virtually impossible: four suitcases, four cabin bags, two car seats, one push chair, two children, all to be handled by two adults...

While I have sympathy for your situation and BA certainly could have been kinder to you - perhaps if you were a baggage handler you'd appreciate the difference btwn lifting 23 and 32 kg! Maybe the extra charge is in the hope of fewer people putting excessive stress on the handlers (but I do realize that my reasoning may be more humanistic than the real reason )
Anyway I guess that is what luggage carts are for (not a perfect solution - but I have smiled at small children sitting on a cart on top of the luggage )
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Your baggage allowance isn't cumulative. It's very similar to the duty free allowance for customs. To pull a number out of the air, suppose you can bring back £500 worth of goods duty free. If you are a family of 4 travelling together than doesn't mean one person can buy an item worth £2000 and bring it in duty free.

For baggage, the allowances are pieces and weight per piece, they are not additive for a total weight of all the allowed pieces. I.e. 2 x 23kg ≠ 1 x 46kg
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:54 pm

It's a policy that makes a lot of sense. Heavier bags=more workman's comp claims. It has been the policy at most major airlines since at least when the standard bag weight was reduced from 32 to 23 kg about 10-15 years ago.
Having just returned from Australia with 5 checked bags, all but one of them between 20-23 kg, an infant, pram, car seat, and 4 cabin bags, I wouldn't call it fun, but it's doable.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Wow, I can't believe this is becoming a pile-on of the OP on the luggage front. BA messed the family around with the seating assignment, refused to help on the plane (a reminder for those saying "oh the cabin crew are always happy to help") and then couldn't be bothered to show a little flexibility with luggage charges as a form of service recovery?

This is an example of a point I made in another thread recently: If BA is going to retreat behind a legalistic interpretation of its own rules and obligations, it should expect an increasingly hostile, or anyway standoffish, relationship with its customers.
Dambus and PAL62V like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Wow, I can't believe this is becoming a pile-on of the OP on the luggage front. BA messed the family around with the seating assignment, refused to help on the plane (a reminder for those saying "oh the cabin crew are always happy to help") and then couldn't be bothered to show a little flexibility with luggage charges as a form of service recovery?

This is an example of a point I made in another thread recently: If BA is going to retreat behind a legalistic interpretation of its own rules and obligations, it should expect an increasingly hostile, or anyway standoffish, relationship with its customers.
On a packed plane, beyond politely asking folks to shuffle around, what exactly are CC meant to do in situations like this? Given the horrible y seating on these planes are you really surprised the people in the bulkhead seats (who may well have paid for them) didn’t want to move?

The OP is peeved, but ultimately he was expecting other people to be inconvenienced in preference to his own family. Sometimes these things really do “just happen” and you have to suck it up and move on.
etiene likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82

But they *did* show flexibility! The check-in agent checked with the supervisor and agreed to waive the fee.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
But they *did* show flexibility! The check-in agent checked with the supervisor and agreed to waive the fee.
Good of the supervisor to do that - even if seemingly without appreciation or thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:03 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by peck

On a packed plane, beyond politely asking folks to shuffle around, what exactly are CC meant to do in situations like this? Given the horrible y seating on these planes are you really surprised the people in the bulkhead seats (who may well have paid for them) didn’t want to move?

The OP is peeved, but ultimately he was expecting other people to be inconvenienced in preference to his own family. Sometimes these things really do “just happen” and you have to suck it up and move on.
Cut the OP some slack, for heaven's sake.

His seating arrangements were fine until BA started messing around with equipment changes, left the OP with nowhere to go and then refused to do anything about it. Travel with young children must be stressful enough at the best of times, without compounding it with extra hassle like this.
Dambus likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:16 am

All a dog's dinner really.

The baggage - well this is a health & safety issue. The allowances are clear and to avoid handlers being off for months with injuries from trying to lift excessive bags. In the end BA waived the excess so in my eyes it was resolved. Ok, a supervisor was called, but that is what supervisors are there for.

On the seats, well to this day I don't understand why the passengers were shifted. Someone with greater need? Systems error? The difficulty here was that trying to resolve this on the day wasn't easy, as it meant shifting other passengers who may well have objected. I imagine the crew, gate staff etc saw it as a no-win situation, someone would always have been unhappy, add to this the fact that BA culture is not a 'can do' one and the inevitable outcome was reached.

Frustrating for the OP but I fear the story has reached the inevitable end.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[left]So we got to the airport 4 hours early and went to the families check in. The agent there wasn't interested in helping at all. No offers to move anyone, no attempt to do anything. Just a perfunctory "yes, sorry, this happens sometimes.

He then said we would need to pay £130 in excess baggage because we only had two bags, each at about 30kg (so we're 32kg under our total allowance) and because we had opted to reduce the number of bags to make it possible for me to carry them all, we'd have to pay a big excess. Had to speak to a supervisor.
You were over your allowance, not under it. The allowance is number of pieces, each of which has a maximum weight of 23Kg. there is a well documented excess fee for bags weighing > 23kg . You had no allowance for 30kg

Then at the gate: No, sorry l, we can't move anyone. This happens sometimes.

On the plane: No, sorry.

The other pax weren't interested either. So we'll just have to lump it.
There is no entitlement to have other people moved from their seats to accommodate your preference. It is not surprising that other passengers were not interested in taking a less good seat to allow you to have one

You had, iirc, the opportunity to get one of the bulkhead seats , just not for all together
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by V10
Cut the OP some slack, for heaven's sake.

His seating arrangements were fine until BA started messing around with equipment changes, left the OP with nowhere to go and then refused to do anything about it. Travel with young children must be stressful enough at the best of times, without compounding it with extra hassle like this.
OK fine. I presume you would have been happy to be moved by BA prior to the flight to accommodate this request?
Dave Noble likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.