Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should First wine not be poured in cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
On my last two MF F flights (LHR ORD and MIA LHR) wines were poured in the galley and brought to me by the glass. Personally I prefer being shown the bottle and poured at the table, not because I don't trust it is the right wine, but I just enjoy the ritual and theatre
I was recently on a MF flight in F. They brought me an empty glass and some nuts, then came back a few minutes later with the bottle. Whilst leaning over me to pour the wine they managed to drip either wine or condensation on me (well, the blanket). When topping up the glass the same thing happened. Maybe a towel would help?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
You seem to be missing my point. While I agree when being served wine in a First Class cabin it should be poured at your seat I do not expect to be offered a 'taste' to see if it's off. Comparing cabin crew serving performance to that of high end restaurant sommelier is folly. Even the waiter at my local budget priced parrilla uncorks the Malbec at my table before serving me. Does that mean I should expect cabin crew to do the same?.
You have to recognise in this day and age of competitively priced premium air travel cabin crew have many other other customers and duties to attend to.
A rather bizarre perspective. The waiters at your local parilla have many other customers and duties to attend to as well. BA charges thousands of pounds for the premium experience in F.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
The likes of EK and our oneworld friends at QR seem to always bring the bottle out, turn the label of the bottle so it's facing you, and then gently pour it with one hand.

I perhaps would not be as fussed if in J, but in F, I would hope BA was as consistent.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
A rather bizarre perspective. The waiters at your local parilla have many other customers and duties to attend to as well. BA charges thousands of pounds for the premium experience in F.

Indeed, they do. Likewise all global carriers offering a longhaul F cabin.

The experience related by the OP concerns a flight from Shanghai to London.

By way of example, it’s possible to pay as much as £11655* for a return LHR-PVG in First (*from BA’s own ‘fare finder’ pages). Most passengers on any given day will, admittedly, have paid considerably less ; but even the very lowest F ticket on that route (during, say, September) will set you back a little under £4000. Not a trivial sum of money.

In describing their First product, BA refer (amongst many other delights) to “exclusive and attentive service”, “onboard elegance” and - most notably - “the full restaurant experience at 35,000 feet”

Any notion that CC assigned to the First cabin should not be required and expected to trouble themselves with serving wine in a suitably elegant manner is quite absurd. And that manner undoubtedly includes bringing the bottle to each passenger, whilst offering the opportunity to taste, just as any self-respecting quality restaurant - and premium airline - will routinely do.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You can pay thousands for an economy experience if you have to. Thankfully, the vast majority of Flyertalkers are able to avoid having to do such a thing when flying F never mind Y.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:19 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Seeing the bottle and engaging in conversation about the wine makes the wine taste better. This isn't conjecture or opinion, it's well researched. If this wasn't the case people would't need to do blind tastings. The performance of experts in blind tastings is less than stellar, but as a consumer I want to see the bottle and go through the theatre because it makes my tasting experience better. I'm glad to 'unblind' myself if it makes me happier as a result.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:33 pm

You can pay thousands for an economy experience if you have to. Thankfully, the vast majority of Flyertalkers are able to avoid having to do such a thing when flying F never mind Y.
I think the point is you CANNOT not pay thousands for a first class experience on BA, as you seem to indicate, which is commensurate with its service and quality levels.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:45 pm

Now you’ve just resorted to just making stuff up HIDDY. It makes your earlier comments about serving of wine even less convincing - forty years without ever being offered a taste ..... But I guess you’ve been digging yourself into something of a hole where discussion of premium standards onboard is concerned !

Yes, we know about the familiar little tricks here & there and all manner of ways to save on published fares. But the simple reality is that virtually ALL those who pay cash for F class longhaul on BA will stump up figures going into thousands. Any idea that the “vast majority of Flyertalkers” somehow avoid having to do so is, I would respectfully suggest, pure fantasy on your part.

I wonder what sort of bargain basement price you found for an F class option when you decided to book Premium Economy for your trip back to UK .... ?
NoY likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:08 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by subject2load
Now you’ve just resorted to just making stuff up H
Is it possible to bring things back to earth? OP was asking about at seat or galley pour.
HIDDY and KARFA like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Surely FTers are a very small cross section of the flying public and in any case even though we may occasionally 'game' the system to pick up a sweet deal, in most cases whether paying in cash or other instruments, we are usually paying a four figure sum or equivalent to get into BA's F cabin. As has been pointed out, most other people will be paying much more. For that I would expect well trained and motivated staff making the most of what the airline has to offer, which includes being aware of what wines are available. BA often has decent wine in F so it would be nice to serve it properly. It's not really that difficult is it?
NoY and subject2load like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:40 pm

Indeed, 3 out of 4 of my last revenue F sectors came in at under £900 each incl taxes. Many pay much less with Avios and a 241.
HIDDY and Padmeister like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I don’t understand how what one pays for F has any relevance to the OP and their issue.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Indeed, 3 out of 4 of my last revenue F sectors came in at under £900 each incl taxes. Many pay much less with Avios and a 241.
OP here, flip sake never mind how the wine is poured. Somebody please tell me how I can fly first between Asia and the UK for 900 quid! 😜
Padmeister likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Flyerandmedic

OP here, flip sake never mind how the wine is poured. Somebody please tell me how I can fly first between Asia and the UK for 900 quid! 😜
Book during a luxury sale, fly to East Coast

...combine with car hire/hotel for even greater savings, and ability to pay with a deposit.

Regarding enjoying my wine after I've secured such an excellent fare, I don't really mind about tasting the wine, but I do like to be shown the bottle and to have the wine poured at my seat. A full glass being delivered from the galley just lacks something for me.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Flyerandmedic

OP here, flip sake never mind how the wine is poured. Somebody please tell me how I can fly first between Asia and the UK for 900 quid! ��
Sounds like a rhetorical question / request, and I suspect you won’t be holding your breath for any specifics !

You will often find biz class to Asia cropping up in that sort of price territory, as I’m sure you’re aware.
But First to Asia, for conventional cash bookings ..... ? Hmm.... different story entirely.

Oaxaca likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.