Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should First wine not be poured in cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Mr WSM would have been happy drinking red wine out of a mug tbh, he didn’t care that it had been poured in the galley.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simons1

I suspect the OP was suggesting one should not have to ask. Surely a fairly basic training need for staff working in F?

Has wine ever been served in Burger King?
Only in that one scene at the end of "Sideways."
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Flyerandmedic
Sorry I should elaborate my post above.... I asked for a glass of Riesling to accompany my fish main. However a much friendlier member of cabin crew informed me they didn’t have any onboard and could I take the Sav B instead.

This sort of raised my suspicions.

Also, it seems a bit poor that they wouldn’t stock all the wines presented in their first class cabin.

...maybe I expect too much
Not having the wines listed on the menu has been an issue for several months in BA’s premium cabins, due to issues with the financial troubles of a drinks supplier. It’s somewhat disappointing that BA continues to choose not to solve this, sadly I suspect this is because it would cost more to source the advertised wines from other suppliers.

All of the long haul BA flights I’ve taken this year (including those ex-LHR) have had at least one wine substituted, and one had more than half the wine list changed. In fairness to the crews, I’ve been told about the changes, though for some reason sparkling has been the one wine type for which the info hasn’t been forthcoming automatically. These days in F, I normally specify the fizz I would like, if drinking it, rather than just asking for champagne.
T8191 and TheFlyingCyclist like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Perhaps just coincidence but mixed fleet in F I always have wine poured in galley and brought to seat , worldwide - bottle brought to seat every time! I may just be unlucky but had a dreadful F flight to ORD this week with a mixed fleet crew - had to walk to galley multiple times to get not only wine but twice to request if the water glasses could be brought out - crew did absolute minimum they could possibly get away with!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:07 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by rhivolution
I mean, you could have just asked to see the bottle if it was that important.
You shouldn't have to. I mean even mid-level restaurants where I live bring out the bottle when you order wine by the glass. Tacky not to do that, especially in F. Nothing to do with pantomime, it is courtesy to let the customer taste the wine to see if they like it. On a new bottle, it is a courtesy to see if the bottle is off. Standard restaurant operating procedure.

Bottles were brought to my seat on my last flight in F earlier this year to HND to taste and to refill.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:34 pm

On my last two MF F flights (LHR ORD and MIA LHR) wines were poured in the galley and brought to me by the glass. Personally I prefer being shown the bottle and poured at the table, not because I don't trust it is the right wine, but I just enjoy the ritual and theatre
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don’t younger folk enjoy the ritual, they just like to neck it.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I don’t younger folk enjoy the ritual, they just like to neck it.
Well speaking from the far side of 50 (just!) ages are so much more fluid now, don't you know?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
So does that mean an oldie like you prefer to “neck it”?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:56 pm

Lol

Ritual please. I dont see myself as an 'oldie', but maybe I am in denial!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
A possible solution is to bring your own stemware. Riedel O To Go for example.

I hasten to add that you shouldn’t have to do this to have it poured at your seat. Still, better than having it poured on your seat I suppose.

Pretty crap to say the least if this galley pouring nonsense is happening, F or J. Maybe OK for Pizzahut or your local “red or white” establishment.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Nothing to do with pantomime, it is courtesy to let the customer taste the wine to see if they like it. On a new bottle, it is a courtesy to see if the bottle is off. Standard restaurant operating procedure.
I can't imagine many restaurants would open a bottle allow you to taste it and then decide you want a different one, at the restaurant's expense. The whole point is to allow you to tell if it is corked. How good you are at this varies from person to person.

I also think it's a bit of a pantomime, especially when you are offered to taste a bottle with a screw cap. The only real benefit is to allow you to refuse it before an entire table's glasses have been filled. I'm also bemused when offered to taste the first bottle, then subsequent bottles arrive and are just poured. Maybe they think after a glass or two you wouldn't notice anyway.

Anyway, they should really bring the bottle over. Doesn't matter if it's already open.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have rejected a few bottles of wine in restaurants after tasting, and never done so lightly. I have always asked the server to try some on the understanding that if they think it’s OK I will stick with it. None have accepted the offer and all have replaced the bottle every time. I think it’s a fair and necessary process with wooden corks. Nothing to do with just being fussy or theatrical.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Thank you, they should have known better.
Are you saying on the 777 they wouldn't have known better?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subject2load

Each to his own ..... whatever floats your boat ^

Was just intrigued that no restaurant has ever offered you a taste in over FORTY years ......
Why would I want to taste it? Do you expect to be offered a taste of every course of your meal before they serve it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.