Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow T5 Security - Watch out !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:52 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I vaguely remember that magnetism is something to do with the way electrons orbit in atoms so even non-magnetic materials exhibit some characteristic that can be identified in scanners.
Metal detectorists find ancient Roman silver and gold coins. So presumably if the amount of gold\silver is large enough or the sensitivity is high enough then non ferrous metals will also set them off. A brass zipper won't set them off (neither will a single bullet) but a large solid silver necklace might (as would a gun). The pulse induction technique may owe more to the ability to carry a current rather than to magnetism. They do seem to be maybe twice as sensitive to ferrous as to non ferrous though.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by markzz2
If you have read my OP you will note I have not accused anyone of anything. If it seems that way to anyone I apologise as the intention was to give others the heads up and to be aware that things like this happen, and to see if anyone else had similar issues,.
Sorry, but I'm no longer able to re-read it for clarification..
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by JFX1764
Sorry, but I'm no longer able to re-read it for clarification..
Someone stole the opening post! You can't trust flyertalk these days.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
My (probably erroneous) assumption was that Au/Ag are not magnetic and presumably it was because non-magnetic metals do not set off that type of alarm.
Presumably hijacking an aircraft with a silver or gold knife would be just as disruptive as with a steel blade...
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have a convenient small outer pocket in my backpack. One one occasion, after bag-drop, I was outside in the T5 smoking shelter (full of BA crew as usual!) and was loading this pocket with watch and wallet, cigarettes and lighter prior to Security. One of the CC commented that I was clearly a Frequent Flyer
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:26 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Deltus
Presumably hijacking an aircraft with a silver or gold knife would be just as disruptive as with a steel blade...
They no longer use magnetrons, so it's not about magnetism. This is a myth perpetuated from decades ago when they did.
You would now need to use a ceramic blade. For good or ill, these are available and much cheaper than Au Ag alternatives.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Scanner/xray machines vary in both technology (older v newer machines) and sensitivity. Even to seemingly identical scanners at same airport but different gates having differences

I can fully undetstand why screening personel require all watches/belts removed, ie they don't want or even have time to rescreen fliers the 50% of times such metal objects would trigger an alert. Scanners are magnetic looking just for metallic iron/steel.

I do own some pricier watches i wear day2day and thus when traveling, my one personal vice. As such I am aware watches, even those with metal bracelets, such as steel+gold rolex, gold cartier do not necessarily set off the scanners.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:13 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
As should those who come on here making accusations against BA.
True. Except it’s not BA really is it? Its T5 security which is nothing to do with BA. As to the rest well, how anyone can be robbed of an extremely valuable item without anyone summoning the police?

That of course is being sarcastic.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

True. Except it’s not BA really is it? Its T5 security which is nothing to do with BA. As to the rest well, how anyone can be robbed of an extremely valuable item without anyone summoning the police?

That of course is being sarcastic.
Exactly. It would have been interesting to hear from the OP what the CCTV showed, instead the original post has disappeared....

Make of that what you will.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:35 pm

Stopped putting my checked luggage id attached to my checked bag a few years ago after hearing incidents of baggage handlers photographing name and address of tags and passing them on to house breakers

i know off topic from original thread but always weary
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mwp1
Stopped putting my checked luggage id attached to my checked bag a few years ago after hearing incidents of baggage handlers photographing name and address of tags and passing them on to house breakers

i know off topic from original thread but always weary
Well don't put your full address on the outside of the bag then.

I put a slip of paper in my bags that only has my name. flight number and phone/email on it. I have no other info on the outside not even the shiny tags that show status.

On the outbound I add the name of the hotel. On the return nothing else.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have never had the metal detector go off on my watch. It's probably too small to set it off (alligator straps with 18 ct gold parts, 18 carat gold case, but not the face, and overall rather small (under an inch in diameter). However, my hair clip with very thin stainless steel parts usually sets it off if I forget to take it off. By weight it has far less metal than my watch though.

Originally Posted by nivsy
Bit off topic..but I kid you not. At PER they got excited about an umbrella within hand baggage and wanted it out for a second scan. yes the brolly was not required in Perth but rather at OSL for overnighter .no one at PER wanted to steal my brolly!! ��
Umbrellas and spray cans are Australian favourites. Not for stealing, but for "picking on" at security (not necessarily meant to sound critical but a folded umbrella does amuse me).

Never try to carry a spray can without the cap there if you don't want to lose it. They don't want to steal your deodorant but they won't let you take it either.. (and some would say that they want some people around them to actually steal your deodorant if they promise to use it, but that's an entirely different story).

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
"Spoof" them by putting the address of your workplace if you happen to work for the police?

I do not put my physical address on my baggage tag, and I don't even put my phone number or email address on the outside of the tag. It goes on the back of the card inserted into the tag.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 4, 2018 at 10:56 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by simons1

Exactly. It would have been interesting to hear from the OP what the CCTV showed, instead the original post has disappeared....

Make of that what you will.
A bit unfair/inaccurate. The watch appeared when th OP was insistent to see the CCTV, so it wasn’t needed in the end.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingjock
A bit unfair/inaccurate. The watch appeared when th OP was insistent to see the CCTV, so it wasn’t needed in the end.
Well first the OP wasn't even there. Second the OP referred to 30 minutes spent demanding to see the CCTV etc. Thirdly if you had a 30 minute saga like that and suspected malpractice wouldn't you at least report it?

And why delete the OP anyway?
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

I put a slip of paper in my bags that only has my name. flight number and phone/email on it. I have no other info on the outside not even the shiny tags that show status.

On the outbound I add the name of the hotel. On the return nothing else.
If the bag went missing, I'm not convinced they would actually open it up to try and identify the owner (it doesn't seem that way from those lost suitcase stores).

I just use a business card tucked into the address tag sleeve. If the bag goes missing, they can contact my office. It protects my home and privacy, and gives the airline a place to contact where they will certainly be able to reach someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.