Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
If you had an overnight stop-over this information is incorrect.
No, the formal position is to route baggage to the end point of the connected sectors, unofficially many - perhaps most - agents will allow a night break. But you can't actually insist on it. Now I haven't seen the MCT SOP for QR but I have seen the BA SOPs at some out-stations and it says something like a night stop is under agent discretion.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, the formal position is to route baggage to the end point of the connected sectors, unofficially many - perhaps most - agents will allow a night break. But you can't actually insist on it. Now I haven't seen the MCT SOP for QR but I have seen the BA SOPs at some out-stations and it says something like a night stop is under agent discretion.
I bow to greater knowledge...
My experience I have always been able to get my baggage back when doing an overnight...
Even had it offered, rather then me having to request.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
I didn't to start a new thread...

MCT/DOH/LGW (QR J); LGW/MLA (BA J); AAward; one PNR.

1) Was the statement by the check-in staff at MCT correct? What if I had chosen the MCT/DOH/LHR; LGW/MLA flight on a single ticket? How would my bag have gotten between LHR and LGW if I couldn't touch it?

2) Will BA reimburse me for my taxi cost to the airport (22 Euros)? I suspect that it would be less expensive than delivery service.

3) The KM staff member told me "go buy whatever you need in the meantime and you'll be reimbursed." Is this correct? It seems if I did this and BA refused, that the word of a nameless staff member would not be honored. I ran into this two years ago (KUL/LHR/ORY - MH F and BA J). Bag didn't make it to ORY. BA told me that it would have to be delayed a minimum of 72 hours (or lost) before I could claim any reimbursement for out of pocket expenses, and no reimbursement for transportation if I chose to pick the bag up from the airport myself.

Thanks BA FT community!
Thanks for the input and Skype has been on the 'to do' list. While my situation is resolved, two questions remain that may assist someone else. I'll report back on the taxi reimbursement.

With regards to #1 , had I booked this ticket via AA.COM, the default was either BA MCT/LHR; LGW/MLA or QR MCT/DOH/LHR; LGW/MLA. Again, one ticket. How was my bag going to get from LHR to LGW if the bag had to be checked through? (Note, thanks to a FT thread, I discovered that QR has a LGW route and AA was able to manually book it.)

With regards to #3 , it is 72 hours or is it immediate? I seem to recall speaking with BA and the rep being quite rude, paraphrasing "its 72 hours and don't ask again", where as the Air Malta rep (rep for BA at MLA) said 'just go buy what you need and you'll be reimbursed".
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
"When will the bag be delivered?" "Between 1900 and 2300 tomorrow." "Flight arrives at 1030, why so long?" "That is our schedule, sir."[/QUOTE]

It completely varies from station to station.

In one station I worked at, for instance, there is one man with a few vans and family members who seems to have most of the airline baggage delivery contracts. His cost per delivery is under Euro 22 and he normally collects and delivers in under half a day in a city many times the size of Valletta.

In another station I know, a large global courier firm has most of the airline contracts for bag delivery. They can only deliver the bag following day after collection from GHAs at airport and charge $100 a bag! That is per bag, not per delivery! In that station, most airlines do not offer delivery and the few that do only do it for pax in business class or above or with high status.

I don't know who does BA bag delivery in Valetta though.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lamphs
With regards to #1 , had I booked this ticket via AA.COM, the default was either BA MCT/LHR; LGW/MLA or QR MCT/DOH/LHR; LGW/MLA. Again, one ticket. How was my bag going to get from LHR to LGW if the bag had to be checked through? (Note, thanks to a FT thread, I discovered that QR has a LGW route and AA was able to manually book it.)

With regards to #3 , it is 72 hours or is it immediate? I seem to recall speaking with BA and the rep being quite rude, paraphrasing "its 72 hours and don't ask again", where as the Air Malta rep (rep for BA at MLA) said 'just go buy what you need and you'll be reimbursed".
Had you gone via LHR then LGW the yes you would have to take the bag yourself at LHR since there simply is no secure baggage service between airports. There used to be airports where it was possible to be through-checked across airports, but I'm struggling to think of one where it is still in place. But that's kind of different to your other factors since it's just an overland process with no baggage arrangement.

For when you can claim, it is immediate, I don't know where 72 hours fits into this, however if you are led to believe that the bag is going to arrive in a few hours I doubt BA would be impressed by a massive spending spree. In the case of MLA then a 24 hour delay is pretty much inevitable, so you would be free to buy things you need, such as cosmetics and cosmetics, and keep buying items until the bag reaches you. There is a limit of around £1200 for this, which seems improbably high on first glance, but the same sum would need to also cover replacement had your bag never resurfaced. That's quite rare but you can see how some people would be out of pocket if there was a prolonged delay and then no bag found.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I was travelling from NCL to ABZ via LHR (RFS 4500 Avios and £15!) on one ticket. Bag checked in at NCL tagged to ABZ.. Smile hen tagging and issuing boarding cards. Guy at FC nearly forgot to capture biometrics as surprised. Boarded flight to ABZ arrived and didn’t notice email saying bag hadn’t made it with case reference. Was told bag was on later flight but this was delayed so wouldn’t get to ABZ in time to be couriered that night Foolishly medication in luggage.

Went to get taxi to hotel and swissport agent came with me and said she wanted to speak to taxi driver. She asked him to radio the office to send 50 cabs on account to deliver baggage at 10pm. It was a Saturday. night and they wanted them for a TUI flight that had a technical issue in unloading the baggage.

I got a taxi back to airport my bag came on the domestic carousel and I returned to the hotel.

BA refused to reimburse the taxi cost of £38 return but I said if I’d have bought a new shirt or trousers the claim would have been more and they said indeed and they would cover that but they weren’t obliged to cover the taxi.

I sent a lletter to customer relations advising I was disappointed at this stand as I was saving their money and their email stated as a valued silver member of the executive club please be assured we know the importance getting your baggage back to you if you couldn’t put it in a taxi like TUI was doing they clearly didn’t understand and got a reply saying their were sorry they weren’t going to refund taxi but made a token credit of Avios.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The limits above are under the Montreal Convention, which does not apply to a ticket between two points in the UK. In any event, the argument that you have saved a carrier by undertaking something not covered rarely works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.