Search

Work trips coming up to DUB

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:34 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rum
Thanks!
So the 'massive' 75 avios is just miles, not Tier Points?

Thanks for clarifying the Star Alliance bit as well. Looks like it's BA or EI then. Do CityFlyer flights earn any BA points?
Yes, correct, Avios only. You might also want to consider whether EI's AerClub pays more - I've not researched it. You could then transfer your Avios to BAEC.

Do you mean Cityjet? They earn nothing with anyone (even themselves, I think!).

CityFlyer is part of BA, they operate the LCY flights and therefore earn as BA.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:10 pm

Just to add my two cents. If work is paying and are not too fussy or looking too closely at your flight costs you could focus on EI out of LHR and if you can get 'Plus' fares each time (middle fare cost and comes with checked bags which are probably useless to you but also free seat selection including emergency exit rows and rows up front and priority boarding). These add ~40/50 euro each way to the fare but come with 25 tier points with EI Aerclub. So after 13 flights or 6.5 round trips (as you need 301 TPs - so your last qualifying flight could be booked as saver fare) you will qualify for Silver on EI. This will get you lounge access in DUB and LHR in the EI lounges plus a modest 25% avios boost.

It obviously depends on your priorities and how many and how frequent these trips to DUB will be but maybe worth a thought. Being based in London BA is obviously more beneficial but if you can at best get Bronze with BA which adds little but can hit Silver with EI and you will have a fair few trips planned then could be worth it. Obviously no upgrades with EI as all Economy, best is the free seat selection with Plus fares IMO in terms of comfort or speed of boarding and exit.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I've flown this route quite a lot. I preferred the BA crews.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by capin
I've flown this route quite a lot. I preferred the BA crews.
Really? On a 55 minute flight when both crews are working flat out trying to deliver a BOB service?

i can’t say I’ve noticed either more friendly than the other. There’s more interaction with the LCY crew due to the smaller aircraft, but they are almost as busy in flight.

I did find WX crew friendlier than both EI & BA, but I ditched them after they left AF and frequent fliers lost access to fast track security.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:04 pm

I have some weekly commutes coming up to/from DUB, so I was wondering what sort of advice you can give me in terms of best routes to collect points.
The OP does not say how many weeks of commute is anticipated. 25 weeks in any fare class would qualify for Silver in BAEC through the 50 legs provision. It the OP's employer will pay for flights that earn 20 TP (for example by not requiring HBO), then 15 weeks would earn the 600 TP needed for Silver.

As a frequent patron of Euro Traveller, the OP stands a good chance of the occasional op up as BA expose the delights of CE,
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:22 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by RGS5526
It the OP's employer will pay for flights that earn 20 TP (for example by not requiring HBO), then 15 weeks would earn the 600 TP needed for Silver.
Just to be clear for the OP - the booking class has no relationship to HBO. You can have a HBO fare in anything from O at the bottom to fully flexible Y at the top.

Only Y, B & H (flexible) fares earn 20TPs per segment. The OP is much, much more likely to be in the 5 or 10 TP earning buckets. Short haul commutes in Y mean status almost always arrives through segments rather than TP thresholds.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by quemalo
BA flies from both, but LCY is only 3 or so a day. If the timing works I'd take LCY over LHR any day.
Three to five times per day, and the timings are very well suited for business people.

I would take BA all the time as a member of Executive Club. Nothing wrong with EI at all though, they're a very good airline.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:46 am
rum
Original Poster

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Thanks everyone for the continued input. I'm guessing BA from LCY then and perhaps EI from LHR if I can get Plus fares, although I doubt it very much.

To answer your questions of how long, it's looking like six weekly commutes, so next to nothing in terms of points really (and that is unconfirmed as yet).

Are there many shopping/eating options in LCY? At least you get World Duty Free at LHR which means Heathrow rewards points and the odd Amex offer to use...
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:47 am
rum
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Yes, correct, Avios only. You might also want to consider whether EI's AerClub pays more - I've not researched it. You could then transfer your Avios to BAEC.

Do you mean Cityjet? They earn nothing with anyone (even themselves, I think!).

CityFlyer is part of BA, they operate the LCY flights and therefore earn as BA.
Hmmm... so there is a Cityjet too? I thought I saw something like that. Are they the old Air France-KLM partner?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
no there is nothing much in the way of shopping / eating at LCY - a couple of generic airport bars and a tiny functional few shops (Smiths, Boots) - it is REALLY not an airport to spend time in; the whole idea is that it has short check-in times so that you can walk up and almost walk right through to boarding. If you like to shop/eat/spend time at the airport - go to LHR instead
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by rum
Thanks everyone for the continued input. I'm guessing BA from LCY then and perhaps EI from LHR if I can get Plus fares, although I doubt it very much.

To answer your questions of how long, it's looking like six weekly commutes, so next to nothing in terms of points really (and that is unconfirmed as yet).

Are there many shopping/eating options in LCY? At least you get World Duty Free at LHR which means Heathrow rewards points and the odd Amex offer to use...
I took the LCY-DUB Thursday evening flight for a year before getting Gold and switching to LHR.

Agree with the advice above that you don’t want to arrive too early.

Best option is the airside Pret and then a beer at the Trumans at Gate 2. Nice little bar. They do salt beef bagels as well which are fine.

If someone else is paying the food at the City Bar is good. Small portions at extortionate prices.

Pilots has beem very poor for service and food any time I have been.

Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:38 am
rum
Original Poster

OK, thanks all. I have Priority Plus through Amex Plat so will effectively get lounge access in DUB, but I understand there is no lounge at LCY. Other have also told me not to expect much in that airport, but if I can get to it relatively quickly, then it is an option worth considering.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:32 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by rum
Hmmm... so there is a Cityjet too? I thought I saw something like that. Are they the old Air France-KLM partner?
Yes, correct, they are - 6-8 flights per (week)day each way on the route, although less at weekends when LCY operates reduced hours anyway.

No BAEC/AerClub benefit at all though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.