Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tirana middle-of-night flight. How to make it bearable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

BA2651 from Tirana to LGW leaves at the bizarre time of around 04:00 (slightly different times on different days). Has anyone here taken this and any are there any tips for making this bearable or even comfortable?
Options that come to mind:
Check in / bag drop and enter lounge several hours early (is that even possible, and if so would there be dozens of others trying to sleep everywhere?)
Airport hotels that charge by the hour (yes, yes...)?
Stay in town until 1 or 2 a.m. despite checking out of hotel many hours earlier?
Anything else?

Thanks for any tips. Not yet booked, but making the flight bearable could make the difference between booking or not.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Book the hotel where you are staying at to cover that night as well.
That's what I normally do for flights leaving at weird hours.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Book the hotel where you are staying at to cover that night as well.
That's what I normally do for flights leaving at weird hours.
Great idea ! This is what I am doing in Vegas next month; only 9.30pm flight home - but the rate at the hotel was $32 (plus resort fee and tax...) so seemed a no brainer !
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
EDIT: removed having missed the point entirely...

Last edited by bisonrav; Jul 18, 2018 at 9:30 am
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bisonrav
There's a Yotel landside in the south terminal. From recollection the last London train to get into Gatwick is going to be midnight or so (could also try a coach) so your options are essentially to stay awake and stick it out for a couple of hours, or come early and stay in the Yotel. I think there are some discount codes floating about for that via the official Gatwick app which is well worth having as it has a number of discount codes and so on. I don't think the lounge will be open (but may be wrong there).

Brutal timing, but I'd probably stick it out and sleep on the flight.
OP is flying TO LGW not from

In any case there are hourly trains from central London (Blackfriars) to Gatwick leaving at 01.02 / 01.40 / 02.40 and later just check on national rail enquiries.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The problem the op has is that check in / bag drop is unlikely to open much earlier than 2 hours prior to departure so there is little point getting to the airport super early.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
OP is flying TO LGW not from

In any case there are hourly trains from central London (Blackfriars) to Gatwick leaving at 01.02 / 01.40 / 02.40 and later just check on national rail enquiries.
Whoops, yes. I didn't know about the later trains (but I'm usually travelling north to Gatwick).
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:32 am

Yep, another vote for keeping the hotel for the last night. It's horrible just knocking around waiting to go to the airport at 2am after a busy work trip. Much better to go out and get some dinner, then relax in the room before heading out.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Although being an early riser, I'm not fond of flights leaving at this ghastly hour. A departure shortly after midnight, especially for a LH flight is OK, but this flight less than 3h, requesting check-in at 02.00-03.00, and then waiting another hour for departure, sitting with barely any recline for three hours, looks like a secure way of spoiling the night. I join the crowd suggesting you keep the hotel for the next night. I would, day plans permitting, try to have a 30-45min nap before a late dinner out, rest in your room until time to depart for airport.

As a side comment, I was surprised to see how many departure times there are for the LGW-TIR rotation. There are 0-2 daily flights, leaving LGW morning, two different afternoon times, and three in the evening from 19.15 to the latest at 22.50, arriving TIR at 02.40, which would be the 04.00 departure OP has. Is there any other destination with this very wide variation, considering the low number of weekly flights?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
If it's bad for the pax, think of the poor CC working that rotation
onobond, wrp96 and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
I'd def book the extra night in your hotel in Tirana. The airport is only about 15-20 mins taxi ride and quite a small place with not much to see or do (esp at that time of day). As far as I remember, rates at the Sheraton Tirana were quite cheap by European standards (though expensive if your a local).
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:29 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Tirana airport is grim. I can't imagine being there at that time of night... it was bad enough during the day! IIRC nowhere accepts credit cards for normal food and drink (i.e. non-duty-free), so make sure you have cash if you want to buy anything. Traffic was awful to the airport when I did the journey but for the 4am flight it should be fine, so definitely keep the hotel room, and don't leave before 1.45am ish. I don't think much can make it easier. It's just going to be a pretty awful experience. Sleep when and where you can and get an early night the night you get back to London. Good luck!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Surely flying back on another airline is preferable in this instance if you haven't booked?

Lufthansa via FRA into LHR/LCY has much more sensibly timed flights. OS go via VIE and hell, even WizzAir fly non-stop to Luton in the morning.
ppp909, LCY8737, lhrpete and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
If it's bad for the pax, think of the poor CC working that rotation
No different from LHRDMELHR overnight, or even BWILHR which leaves at 0200GMT (having arrived the day before, crew are unlikely to be acclimatised for the return). Just part of the job really.

For the OP, an alternative suggestion... go out and enjoy the party scene in Tirana, then head to the airport and sleep on the plane
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Confus

No different from LHRDMELHR overnight, or even BWILHR which leaves at 0200GMT (having arrived the day before, crew are unlikely to be acclimatised for the return). Just part of the job really.
Not just BWI. I think all the US East Coast flights are just one night stays for crew. I believe the standard for WW crews (this may have changed) is they typically do two successive US East Coast trips with a one night break between them in the UK. I remember talking to one FA a few years ago when waiting for the doors to open at LHR having arrived from JFK and he said he was off to PHL or IAD or similar tomorrow and that was a typical schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.