Wiki Posts
Search

Getting creative: getting to cape town

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Getting creative: getting to cape town

So... Looking to be out in cape town (from London) on 11 October for a wedding.

We have a good bank of avios and virgin Atlantic miles.

Ideally would like to be in south Africa either side of the wedding for a few days to make a trip out of it and do safari.

Flexible in terms of travel plans and even doing an extra leg.

A strong preference for premium travel (business class +)

Any creative ideas on what we can do?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:31 am

What’s the budget? You can do Ams - Jnb for £1550 around that time. Then tag on a comair flight. Alternatively from several European airports you can fly Ethiopian from 1550 to CPT. However not oneworld.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Book it in October 2017?? I would say that you have virtually zero chance of using your miles on this route at such short (I.e. less than 355 days) notice. This route is very popular with people using their 241 vouchers and tickets are taken as soon as they are released. There may be some chance to get to joburg (esp if you search on the new Dreamliner routes which have only just been released) but again it is very popular...
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Try searching for flights to Johannesburg, and then buy separate flights from Johannesburg to Cape Town.

Johannesburg is generally much cheaper on paid tickets and yes there seems to be some award availability.

I am not able to afford J or F class, and I go to SA frequently as I am South African.

In November this year I am planning 2 weeks in SA mostly in Cape Town and so I have purchased an ex-EU from Amsterdam to Johannesburg in Y, about €390 return. Added on some cars and hotels to make it a BA holiday booking. I then booked my internal flights separately. Johannesburg to Durban to Cape Town to Johannesburg was approximately £125. again in Y. As silver, it’s unlikely that I will get any upgrades but you never know.

Special Services have previously been extremely helpful to me, and I expect if I have any problems they will assist again.

Whilst I am travelling Y, and you are looking at C, I hope I have given you some help.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
For some unreasonable reason, I don’t fancy staging through JNB. The sticky on the Africa Forum has rather put me off!

But paying less than £4k to CPT, without using a 241, has some appeal TP-wise!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
I haven’t read that sticky, so can’t quite comment.

I always go through Johannesburg because it is usually cheaper, and I have friends there.

Johannesburg is overall not a pretty place, but depending on what you actually do there, it can be fun! Please also be aware that what we call Johannesburg is actually a huge conglomeration of cities of which Johannesburg itself is only 1, and a rather unattractive 1 at that. I do spend time there, but then again I am seeing friends there!

I’m very adventurous and have been into various parts of Johannesburg area from Soweto to Sandton.

I really would not suggest spending long in Johannesburg area, but it can be a great staging point to Kruger Park/other game parks.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:50 pm

A "good bank" is what exactly?
How many passengers?
Do you hold BA status?
Any 2-4-1 vouchers?
Any Gold upgrade vouchers?

I guess the most useful responses will come once you reveal everything that is needed in order for others to come up with a sensible response. Until then baredemptionfinder.com is your best friend
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
A "good bank" is what exactly?
How many passengers?
Do you hold BA status?
Any 2-4-1 vouchers?
Any Gold upgrade vouchers?

I guess the most useful responses will come once you reveal everything that is needed in order for others to come up with a sensible response. Until then baredemptionfinder.com is your best friend
- 7 figures avios, 200k+ virgin miles
- 2 adults, 1 infant
- sadly dropped to silver
- a 2f1 voucher could be acquired quickly if needed
- no gold upgrade vouchers

​​​​​​Many thanks in advance
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Can you use any OW partners like Qatar with your points? I am going to CPT in November and recently(MUCH less than 365 days out) had a TA get me from the US to DOH to JNB, then on BA/Comair to CPT. Used my miles for this itinerary.
Good luck with your search. I only needed 1 ticket but I understand getting several is a challenge.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Probably a bit too fiddly with the infant . But you did ask for creative. What about redeeming to Nairobi - which is super easy availability wise , and then pick up (for revenue the KQ flight through Livingstone. You can stop one way and see the VIc falls as well if you have time.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:17 pm

I've been looking periodically this evening and ONLY found DOH-JNB availability in Business on 06OCT. Nothing with BA/IB. You can do LON-DOH to connect in with this on 05OCT or earlier if wanting to make a stopover out of it. Then just book using avios JNB-CPT for when you need to get down there after your safari.... Keep in mind many half decent safari lodges and bush camps don't recommend (or even allow) infants so you might want to investigate this side of things. Nothing inbound from CPT/JNB/DUR after the 11OCT for 7 days. Perhaps you could look at using the VS miles for the inbound JNB-LON (nothing direct from CPT). You can use these on Virgin or South African on a one-way basis. Full details here although you'd need to check such availability yourself. Remember SAA also fly into FRA/MUC as well as LHR so there may be some alternative options if LHR proves futile on what is an extremely in demand route. Then just add on a RFS from there back to LHR.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tdgraves
Book it in October 2017??
I think you might need a little holiday!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Probably a bit too fiddly with the infant . But you did ask for creative. What about redeeming to Nairobi - which is super easy availability wise , and then pick up (for revenue the KQ flight through Livingstone. You can stop one way and see the VIc falls as well if you have time.
Not a bad shout really. Some decent prices on that route unlike much of KQ's intra-Africa network.

The transit in Nairobi is a bit of a pain though.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think you might need a little holiday!
nope! - I was making a point. Redemptions to South Africa are snapped up a year in advance....my holiday in September being a case in point 😉
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Tdgraves

nope! - I was making a point. Redemptions to South Africa are snapped up a year in advance....my holiday in September being a case in point ��
Same here ... booked in January for December. Very tense time while searching for J doing JER-LGW-CPT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.