Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Opinions please? What would you do in this situation?[seat shifter]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions please? What would you do in this situation?[seat shifter]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:31 am

deleted
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:34 am

I think you did the right thing. The onus is on the other person, they should have asked the cabin crew directly. They instead thought of asking you first and you replied with what works for you best. Don't feel bad about it.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I must have typed the URL wrong, this looks like a post on Mumsnet. What a bunch of over sensitive adult babies. At the end of the day, the right answer is to say "I don't know". The rest is going to be down to other people's actions. In regards to her size/stature/non-binary status, who gives a crap. In this global liberal BS lottery of how we should identify people the OP probably got it right with "woman". The weight and size on the other hand is absolutely of importance to an exit row.

I think the only issue here is that the OP should have not been put in a situation to police the seat and when they were the correct response was "I don't know". Simple... Geez.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by memesweeper

Everyone on an aircraft bears some small obligation to keep themselves and others safe. I’d not tell anyone it’s OK for them or their unseen friend to sit in an exit row. If someone misses the safety briefing and self-‘upgrades’ i’ll call the cabin crew. I’ll also tell people in exit rows to remove headphones and at least pretend to listen to the video and/or demo. Has this lead to awkwardness for the remainder of the flight ? Yes, a little.

If the cabin crew judge someone as OK with an exit row seat that’s great. Otherwise it’s definitely not OK and the crew should be informed — regardless of how likely it is they will actually try and move someone back to their assigned seat.

You must be fun @ parties!
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:51 am

Why can’t Alex go the extra mile and make tickets priced according to weight.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by simons1
Don't agree at all.

The other passenger was quite entitled to request a move and sit there. You had not paid for the empty seat, and it wasn't CE where the middle seat is left empty.

Theoretical seating is not a guaranteed benefit and as far as the other passenger was concerned it was the crew's call on whether she shoild be sat there.

The descriptions you used and the use of parenthesis were quite unnecessary and it all sounds like some whiny rant that would better off in the DYKWIA thread.
I think the passenger is trying to pull off a deception. I note she sent her friend (presumably quite svelte), instead of going herself.

To my mind, this is no different to trying to get a seat swap by saying, upon being asked where your seat is, 'Oh my seat is over there', deliberately not saying that it's a middle seat.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
At the end of the day, there was nothing stopping anyone from saying to 12C, "excuse me, could you let me in, I'm in the middle...thanks." That would have been the end of the whole episode.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Cotumely
I think the passenger is trying to pull off a deception. I note she sent her friend (presumably quite svelte), instead of going herself.

To my mind, this is no different to trying to get a seat swap by saying, upon being asked where your seat is, 'Oh my seat is over there', deliberately not saying that it's a middle seat.
Or perhaps she’s a good person who knew her friend would suffer being 6’3 in BAs 29” pitch and decided to ask on her behalf. Not everyone is out to dump 7 people in different lounges in order to maximise ‘benefits’ and sometimes just want to be a good person.

But perhaps speculation is not necessary as no one will ever know...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
I don´t even know why I am reading this! I belive no pax has the right to say whether someone is allowed to seat there or somewhere else. It's the cabin crew decission; in any casy, a pax should always be nice, and not .....y - even though you have status, you are not the owner of the seat-row-plane.

And then it is very offensive to call big&fat other people, perhaps she is suffering from a hormonal deregulation? genetic disease? You know, there are some people out there that even though they're willing to loose weight, they just can't.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Or perhaps she’s a good person who knew her friend would suffer being 6’3 in BAs 29” pitch and decided to ask on her behalf. Not everyone is out to dump 7 people in different lounges in order to maximise ‘benefits’ and sometimes just want to be a good person.

But perhaps speculation is not necessary as no one will ever know...
I'm 6'2" and BA's seats do not induce anything approaching suffering. If she was suffering it was due to her size, which is also the factor which may have stopped her being able to sit in an exit seat if they had asked the cabin crew rather than a passenger who had no right to make that judgement. One question for the OP - did the passenger bring a seat-belt extension with them? From the BA staff responses on this thread it sounds like this is the criteria used to determine people who are too large for an exit seat...

I think some people are being harsh on the OP here - they were asked a question by a fellow pax and gave an answer. It is the person asking who should have asked the cabin crew not the passenger. Having been asked, the OP was free to give whatever answer they chose. This is not a case of them refusing to let someone sit there, they were asked and gave an honest answer, I think we can assume the OP would not have refused if the cabin crew had put someone next to them.
rickg523 and Cotumely like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by tobsw
I don´t even know why I am reading this! I belive no pax has the right to say whether someone is allowed to seat there or somewhere else. It's the cabin crew decission; in any casy, a pax should always be nice, and not .....y - even though you have status, you are not the owner of the seat-row-plane.

And then it is very offensive to call big&fat other people, perhaps she is suffering from a hormonal deregulation? genetic disease? You know, there are some people out there that even though they're willing to loose weight, they just can't.
The passenger has every right to answer since they were asked the question. The passenger choose an answer that works best for them. If the other person didn't like it/didn't agree with it, should have gone to the Cabin Crew and they can then make the ultimate decision
Cotumely likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.