Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Opinions please? What would you do in this situation?[seat shifter]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions please? What would you do in this situation?[seat shifter]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Speedbird92A
If this lady was as you described was 30 stone...<snip>
I think that was probably a bit of literary license to make the story better.

But honestly, to all of those of you who are advocating leaving this to the CC, how do you see that unfolding?

You: <Presses button>
CC: Yes, how may I help you?
You: This woman came up from row 35 and suddenly plonked herself between my boyfriend and me. Could I please leave you to deal with the situation?
CC: Ma'am, could I see your boarding pass please? Oh yes, thank you, you are indeed in row 35.
Her: But my legs hurt, blah blah

On the low (IMO) chance that 12B gets sent back, you're not going to be the CC's favourites, and in the probable state of 12 B remaining, you've just bought yourself a very awkward flight.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I disagree with all the folks attacking you OP. You are entitled to that empty seat if operationally it can be given to you, which the system determined it could. I probably would have said something like "Actually it isn't okay, these seats require fees to be paid in advance." If they got the FA and I was overruled, so be it. But I'm also a pushy American.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
On the low (IMO) chance that 12B gets sent back, you're not going to be the CC's favourites, and in the probable state of 12 B remaining, you've just bought yourself a very awkward flight.
I can live with a CC being upset at me if it means having the middle seat remain empty.
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gig103
I disagree with all the folks attacking you OP. You are entitled to that empty seat if operationally it can be given to you, which the system determined it could. I probably would have said something like "Actually it isn't okay, these seats require fees to be paid in advance." If they got the FA and I was overruled, so be it. But I'm also a pushy American.

I can live with a CC being upset at me if it means having the middle seat remain empty.
The OP would have gotten very different responses if they had left it to 'empty seat for golds' policy but they didn't. Much of the adverse reaction is due to the personal comments made about another passenger.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Could the OP could have moved so they occupied A& B as a couple and the seat-shifter occupied C? When I’ve lost seat roulette that’s how we’ve played it.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The OP would have gotten very different responses if they had left it to 'empty seat for golds' policy but they didn't. Much of the adverse reaction is due to the personal comments made about another passenger.
You call it personal and I would call it an important detail .... you can call it body shaming (which it would be if it was intended in that way) but I think everyone would have reservations that her/his space is now being possible invaded by the passenger next to her/him. And to be honest it can make the difference between sitting comfortable or not.
One flight an unfortunate gent next to me (probably around the same height/weight) sat down in the middle seat next to me .... as it was an exit row the seats were not as wide as usual (think he chose because of leg room). He was/felt uncomfortable and sorry to intrude and I felt sorry for him as the seat didn't fit him at all. Would I have preferred a 100 pound person right next to me not touching me all the time (which was unavoidable for him) ... sure thing but it wasn't his fault that they shrink the seats more and more every year.

And if you secure the exit row and no one is assigned to it (either they didn't have the status, didn't want to pay) they I would expect the seat to stay empty to the duration of the flight. Self upgrading (term loosely used) is not something I would need to tolerate.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
The OP is attacked for saying no as it is not their seat/none of their business etc, by which reasoning they also cannot say yes.

The simple solution - and I really think it needs enforcing - is that everyone sits in their assigned seats. Not only does that make it clear cut for all - it would be a revenue generator for BA with more pax realising they had to shell out if they wanted a particular seat. Wonder why it isn't SOP (maybe it is but isn't enforced?).
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:43 pm

I would tell them to ask the cabin crew. I don't think you have a leg to stand on as far as keeping the middle seat free is concerned, but it sounds like the woman might have been a safety hazard in an exit row.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by blitzen
You call it personal and I would call it an important detail .... you can call it body shaming (which it would be if it was intended in that way) but I think everyone would have reservations that her/his space is now being possible invaded by the passenger next to her/him. And to be honest it can make the difference between sitting comfortable or not.
You must have missed the part were the OP put the word woman in inverted commas. That was just insulting and yes IMHO it was meant as body shaming and was totally unnecessary to any issue relating to BA trying to keep a seat free for Golds.

Remember she had said no before even seeing the actual passenger - it was the passengers friend who asked.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You must have missed the part were the OP put the word woman in inverted commas. That was just insulting and yes IMHO it was meant as body shaming and was totally unnecessary to any issue relating to BA trying to keep a seat free for Golds.

Remember she had said no before even seeing the actual passenger - it was the passengers friend who asked.
Yes that part I missed as I wasn't looking for these tiny details (which can be important) as I wasn't wearing my glasses and the inverted commas didn't stand out to me as "woman" would have Thanks for pointing that out
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
At what point do the exit rows become 'free' for non-status pax? Is it check-in or is there always a premium to pay to sit there?
If payment is required, the OP has a point as it's somewhat more than losing to seating roulette, but the OP's modus operandi and insulting use of 'woman' cheapen their debate.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:07 pm

Speaking from a cabin crew perspective, if you had called one of us over, we would simply asses the lady in question (a simple query whether she needed a seat belt extension), and then ask her if she wanted to buy anything from the trolley. Once on board, subject to trim, then, as long as you're not sitting in a seat that someone else has a boarding pass for, or is a paid for comfort seat, then you can move to any open seat. I'm sorry if that's not the answer some of you want to hear, but we have no indication if a seat has been blocked, or if someone just hasn't selected that seat, or hasn't turned up for the flight. And to be honest, we're probably fighting with sales computers that have crashed, or try to explain to 150 people why we have no sandwiches left.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So, I have a great deal of sympathy for the OP here. Quite probably in both cases there were people on the aircraft who had themselves paid for particular seats. Why on earth should someone play the game and end up going from a poor seat to one of the best on the aircraft gratis when others have paid?
I don't. In fact having been on the other side of the coin so to speak I find the best strategy here to be to board late and if there are empty seats then say to the crew 'would you mind if I move'. Amidst the hurly burly of pre flight they generally don't seem bothered and I don't consider it to be the business of any other travellers.

As far as others paying is concerned, so what? Aren't seats free at check in? Paying is optional not compulsory.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by bwaflyer
Speaking from a cabin crew perspective, if you had called one of us over, we would simply asses the lady in question (a simple query whether she needed a seat belt extension), and then ask her if she wanted to buy anything from the trolley. Once on board, subject to trim, then, as long as you're not sitting in a seat that someone else has a boarding pass for, or is a paid for comfort seat, then you can move to any open seat. I'm sorry if that's not the answer some of you want to hear, but we have no indication if a seat has been blocked, or if someone just hasn't selected that seat, or hasn't turned up for the flight. And to be honest, we're probably fighting with sales computers that have crashed, or try to explain to 150 people why we have no sandwiches left.
So BA do not instruct you to keep exit seats free if the flight isn't sold out entirely in order to protect ancillary revenue? I get that you don't know if an exit seat is blocked for a gold but you do know that BA charge extra for these seats so I would have thought BA would be instructing staff to keep these seats empty rather than let people self 'upgrade'.

(The size of the person (but not 'gender') here really is very very relevant - I would absolutely have asked them to speak to the BA staff if they wanted this seat, it isn't mine to give away or judge if they are allowed and I'd accept whatever the staff tell me, but the staff need to decide, not me).
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
If I was OP I'd be pleased with how I'd played this as it's a difficult situation when defending the soft benefits that BA claim to offer without coming across all DYKWIA-ish. Staff and pax ignoring group boarding is another example that comes to mind. If BA won't do it then it's down to individuals to do so.

They appear to have made the decision on principle before being aware of who pax would be, which I see as a positive. The querying of / scoffing at their gender unfortunately takes them into instant milkshake duck territory despite any merits of their initial actions.

As to OPs original question as to why pax don't pay the £25 or so for extra comfort it's presumably because they can mange without, aren't familiar with how BA operates, etc. Does TS block even paid access to exit row seats? If so I'm surprised tbat BA are passing up on the opportunity, and if not then the fact that noone paid suggests OP (and other side) was lucky or BA have pricing strategy a little awry.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 19, 2018 at 3:08 pm
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by simons1
As far as others paying is concerned, so what? Aren't seats free at check in? Paying is optional not compulsory.
It's threads like these that remind me why politicians seem to be oblivious to the travails of others....

I thought regular check in won't override a TS block which may still have been there, so not free to select. IME gate staff can / will override it if for example you use Expert Flyer to spot a seat you'd particularly like. Hopefully someone can clarify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.