Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin hygiene: passenger sabotage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Cabin hygiene: passenger sabotage?

VIE-LHR in CE yesterday evening. Boarded, sat down, grabbed my seat belt and realised it had been rendered unusable by the previous passenger's chewing gum lovingly and elaborately applied to the buckle. Luckily the centre table in my row was missing and the other seat was empty, so I just moved to the middle seat.
I don't necessarily blame BA or the cleaners for not spotting it as it was a quick turnaround and the buckle was hanging between the seat and the window. Purser was v. apologetic but didn't have time to clean it up before take-off.
I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced cabin hygiene issues caused by deliberate acts of sabotage (protest?) on behalf of a passenger?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Went to open a puke bag once, only to find it had already been used and shoved back in the pocket. Never opened one since.
yb90 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Concerto
Went to open a puke bag once, only to find it had already been used and shoved back in the pocket. Never opened one since.
The "re-use or recycle" campaign has gone too far...
mickeyjaw likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
People are absolutely disgusting at times, both the examples above are just horrible.
fotographer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Yes lets not forget, BA don't have a team going round messing up cabins. Its the passengers who make the mess and a lot of the damage. Now if BA remedied everything first time we would all be moaning about poor despatch records, so lose lose for them!!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Mutu
Yes lets not forget, BA don't have a team going round messing up cabins. Its the passengers who make the mess and a lot of the damage. Now if BA remedied everything first time we would all be moaning about poor despatch records, so lose lose for them!!
There must be more hygienic and cleaner passengers flying the likes of QR, CX ..etc...or could it be other airlines seem to manage cabin cleanliness more effectively?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Originally Posted by Mutu
Yes lets not forget, BA don't have a team going round cleaning up cabins.
nd100, Stez, awayIgo and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by passy777

There must be more hygienic and cleaner passengers flying the likes of QR, CX ..etc...or could it be other airlines seem to manage cabin cleanliness more effectively?
I disagree, once on AA ORD-LGA, the entire rear of Y looked like an all night take away when we boarded. Pizza boxes on the floor, various food stuffs under and on the seats - to add insult to injury a half eaten sandwich loaded with so much mayonnaise it was everywhere in our seat row.
It was the last flight that night, otherwise I would have offloaded myself. I have had some dirty planes on BA but never even close to this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Isn't it more likely that some unruly, unsupervised child put the gum on the belt rather than it being the result of a conspiracy on the part of a disgruntled passenger?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by passy777

Finnair and Qantas passengers must be cleaner too. And in JAL with their white seat covers on some planes they clearly don’t have passengers.

or is it that people will respect things depending on how they find them? If its dirty broken and a mess when you board then maybe no one gives a 5hit then.

Not only do other airlines clean their aircraft more than as a special event but they also have crew who will actively collect used service items. BA’s crew* often do not or will not (irrespective of cabin) so is it any surprise people find more inventive disposal methods?

i wonder how white seat covers would look after a few days of BA?

* not that anyone can blame them if that staff survey is for real. Why deal with others people’s rubbish when you have an entire team of ‘management’ 5hit to deal with?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by DFB_london

Finnair and Qantas passengers must be cleaner too. And in JAL with their white seat covers on some planes they clearly don’t have passengers.

or is it that people will respect things depending on how they find them? If its dirty broken and a mess when you board then maybe no one gives a 5hit then.

Not only do other airlines clean their aircraft more than as a special event but they also have crew who will actively collect used service items. BA’s crew* often do not or will not (irrespective of cabin) so is it any surprise people find more inventive disposal methods?

i wonder how white seat covers would look after a few days of BA?

* not that anyone can blame them if that staff survey is for real. Why deal with others people’s rubbish when you have an entire team of ‘management’ 5hit to deal with?

Don't underestimate the cultural differencies. You would never see a native Japanese flyer putting shoes up the bulkhead wall. Your fellow travellers would frown at the sight. The only time I saw this happen on a JL flight, was a man from somewhere between Europe and Japan (going westward). Two CC approached him and excused themselves, but would he be so kind as to take his shoes from the wall, please. After he done that, one CC member swiped the complete wall with a wet cloth, after which the other wiped away the damp with a crisp white towel. The man responsible excused himself to all passengers close by, and to every CC member passing.

Touché!
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by nd100
I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced cabin hygiene issues caused by deliberate acts of sabotage (protest?) on behalf of a passenger?
Reminds me of the small ash trays that airplane seats used to have.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:08 pm

Since experiencing used ear plugs stuffed down the side of a F seat, I no longer wonder at BA’s attitude to cleanliness.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by onobond
Don't underestimate the cultural differencies. You would never see a native Japanese flyer putting shoes up the bulkhead wall. Your fellow travellers would frown at the sight. The only time I saw this happen on a JL flight, was a man from somewhere between Europe and Japan (going westward). Two CC approached him and excused themselves, but would he be so kind as to take his shoes from the wall, please. After he done that, one CC member swiped the complete wall with a wet cloth, after which the other wiped away the damp with a crisp white towel. The man responsible excused himself to all passengers close by, and to every CC member passing.

Touché!
Interesting tale, and it strikes a chord. I also wonder if passengers also respond to their environment to some extent (not that I am condoning any of the worse examples we’ve seen at all). The fact that the planes look, in some cases, so uncared for and dirty, mean that passengers are less likely to be careful and behave well within the space.
rickg523 and shefgab like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DFB_london

Love how you never miss a chance to berate BA management. One would think you were an ex employee.

I suppose an incident like this is bound to happen when you make flying affordable to all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.