Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

“Available on request” items in lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Available on request” items in lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by flatlander
Items of minority interest that they do not wish to set out all the time should all be signed to avoid customer disappointment.
The 'items available on request' sign is only available on request...
Steve_ZA and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
LH enhanced the bubbly which used to be available upon request in the SEN lounges about a year ago. I'm glad bubbly's still served at LHR GC.
shefgab likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:49 pm

Makes me sick just at the thought (it's all about loving it or hating it at the end of the day ), but I guess that all those years working for a business with head offices in Burton-on-Trent (meaning frequent trips to the town, famous for the rather unflattering smell of Carling, Marmite & Branston Pickle) together with the ghastly stuff regularly appearing on the kitchen table at work didn't help

G
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've been told that they used to put the jars out, without caps, but - well - they got stolen. It turns out that some people - not FTers obviously - travelled around with either a cap or some other way of closing the tub so that wasn't a deterrent. This presumably was due to either a last minute fear of being Marmiteless in Seattle or not wanting the hassle in security. When Compass ran the lounges they did at one stage experiment with the mini Marmite packs .
Well, you could A) sneak off to a quiet corner, or maybe the loos, and scoop out the contents straight into your mouth with your fingers, or B) sneak it on board and smear it all over you traytable and screen in a sort of dirty protest. - easily 10K Avios there.
LCSinTexas and frandrake like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:17 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Continued close association usually brings one of two things.
1) Sensitivity
2) Comfort
I have known many people who work with rats. In some cases they have to leave their job because they have become so allergic to rats (when they weren't previously). In others they have become life long ratophiles (when they were previously ambivalent).
There is no known rat-Marmite factor IFAIK but the similarities struck me.
TBH I like rats, marmite and champagne and want all of them to be available in lounges without secret knowledge. (Except perhaps the rats)
LCSinTexas and JP Flyer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77

reminds me of a certain cheese sketch from 70’s
How many of the cheeses mentioned in the sketch can you name?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Vimto comes from Blackburn, but I have yet to see that as an available offering in MAN
Can you ask for Brown Ale in NCL?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
The thing I find awkward about Champagne on demand is which staff you're supposed to ask -- feels strange to flag down someone who is clearly primarily tasked with bussing dishes, rather than being waiting staff.
wrp96 and JP Flyer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Square sausage butties in the EDI lounge please.
HIDDY and cwagsg like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by technical_bob
The thing I find awkward about Champagne on demand is which staff you're supposed to ask -- feels strange to flag down someone who is clearly primarily tasked with bussing dishes, rather than being waiting staff.
For me it's the blue latex gloves they wear on delivery. It may be champagne but delivered in the way it is takes the shine off the experience. Reminds me of student cocktail nights where bar staff hosed the cocktails into plastic cups while wearing similar gloves.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
That comment has been enhanced by someone asking how they know what can be asked for.

Allegedly there is an on request list showing the on request items. They're out of stock of the list currently due to pilferage...
Ah, you saw that. I felt that as the lounge management were using the comments book as a two way communications channel (does anyone go back and reread their comments from their last trip) that I should at least point out the flaw in their logic.

BTW - pens to write in the comments book are “available on request”.
LCSinTexas and memesweeper like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
LHR South Club

There were individual marmite packets in the south club lounge at LHR today. First time I have noticed this.. Also the food seemed to be better quality overall than last time I was there.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
IIRC Ketchup and HP Sauce is available on request onboard, at least in CW.
See now I never knew that. In First with my breakfast got the little jar thst would accompany the BA Burger in the lounge and when BOB the bacon roll was offered M&S branded sachet but I always take a sachet in my liquids bag of brown sauce.. well 2 actually and have it with my CE Breakfast.

I am guessing the massive catering packs of marmite which they can decant into bowls into bowls is cheaper thst the individual sachets you find in hotels as they have this in a bowl along with the James and marmalade’s at breakfast certainly in Galleries First.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've been told that they used to put the jars out, without caps, but - well - they got stolen. It turns out that some people - not FTers obviously - travelled around with either a cap or some other way of closing the tub so that wasn't a deterrent. This presumably was due to either a last minute fear of being Marmiteless in Seattle or not wanting the hassle in security. When Compass ran the lounges they did at one stage experiment with the mini Marmite packs but the consumption was greater than the amount of slices of bread left out, indeed I recall one lady woman deftly emptying a tray of about 20 packs into her handbag over in T1. So slick was the manœuvre that it could only have been borne out of considerable practice.

Off topic I know and I do apologise but last Saturday in the Morrison’s Cafe in Stratford there were these 2 delightful elderly ladies sitting on the table in front.

Over the the course of their visit between them they acquired enough condiments along with salt and pepper sachets as well as sugar, sweetener and milk portions to set up their own cafe. They did it quite discreetly though a few things at a time and putting them in Tupperware boxes at the top of their shopper trollies. I’d liken their actions to a squirrel hoarding his nuts.

Im guessing/hoping that these few items will have saved them a few £££ on their shopping but I did automatically think of FLYERTALK and what would be the title of the thread if this was an airport lounge.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Gluten free rolls are available 'on request' as Mrs. Skyline found out in T5 B lounge last year - made more palatable with some bacon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.