Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake fare LHR - TLV [Tickets now cancelled by BA]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace

Given that the base cost of the ticket is negative at minus £7.01 it strikes me that BA are on relatively strong ground that the ticket is a mistake fare.
I foresee a new FT game of "tax refund arbitrage" with a seasoning of "BA goodwill voucher".

There are people on here who would buy scores at a time I'm sure if they thought the numbers worked !!!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Mike P
Why didn't BA just honour this fare? It's not as though it was so low that it was obviously a mistake fare? Doesn't seem worth the adverse publicity to me.
Wasn't the fare below the taxes?

BA isn't just giving up a seat on an aircraft for cheap, they're literally going to pay money to someone else for you to travel, on top of the loss for not selling that seat to someone who could potentially make them actual revenue.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
I think I'll just look for a short haul that is sub £100, with a nice lounge at the destination and abuse both lounges with my gold card (which I get next month). I'm sure I can have a nice day somewhere.

There seems to be some confusion about these vouchers. I cannot confirm any of these statements but this is gossip on the grapevine

1. Some OTA arent offering them at all. I dont know if they are keeping them or they haven't received the info from BA
2. People where told that it has to be use for the exact same route.
3. The voucher is not stack-able. Ie if you booked for a fam but want to use it for yourself, you cant.
4. Its only valid for one month
5 You are stuck to the same OTA that you booked with. For better or worse.

If the above statements are true I think BA are being disingenuous and trying fob us off with a voucher that you have to loop the loop to be able to use. Imho this is more of a news story than the cancellation. Its definitely more iresome to see the headlines and receive emails saying that they will 'compensate us' as a gesture of goodwill.
Giving us a voucher that is practically very hard to use is a sham.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
Whilst I understand that point, it's not as though the fare was clearly so low (like some of the sub £1K F fares that we've seen in the past) as to be a mistake fare. If I'd booked something which was clearly an error fare in the hope of getting away with it, I'd be fairly relaxed about it being cancelled. If I booked something which I regarded as being a decent deal like this (and as has been pointed out above, it's not a dissimilar fare from some of BA's competitors), I would be irritated by this response, particularly if I'd booked other parts of the trip such as hotels.
Oh I completely agree it wasn't obvious. Personally I did know it was an error (and didn't book anyway) but I mentioned the price to a friend without saying it was an error and she didn't think anything strange about it - even though her actual job is marketing ex-UK flights so she has more knowledge than most consumers.

If I hadn't known, and had booked, I would certainly consider pursuing this one.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by jerub
Wasn't the fare below the taxes?
NO! It was lower than the taxes, charges and carrier surcharge (aka fare), but it was a lot higher than the taxes.

It was also higher than fares available on other airlines.
orbitmic and etiene like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I really do not understand BA's logic here. Surely the cost of the flights plus the GBP 100 per person goodwill they are offering is more than the discounted price of these tickets would have been anyway. The error was that the journey was in the booking class B which is fairly flexible, that's all. BA can only get bad PR from this. Cancelling a ticket at a fare point higher than other airlines regularlay charge for the same journey can in no way be deemed manifestly incorrect and I urge people who bought these tickets to pursue BA through whatever means.

I saw this pricing and also the label of "mistake fare" and can remember thinking, "that's not that cheap, probably just a flash sale" and "I still wouldn't sit in a BA Y seat for 5 hours for that price".
Cymro likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It made it onto the Independent yesterday - https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8406636.html
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the three lead stories on the BBC website. Another PR triumph for BA 👏
orbitmic, Cymro and wyddfa like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
And to the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44546400

My apologies if already posted, but I haven’t been following the story in great detail. Although I think this business of deciding what is and what is not an error fare is a very dodgy area. That means, if you simply pick up a special offer, they can simply turn around and cancel it if they feel like it. I flew to Abu Dhabi for €72 with Alitalia (round trip) and at no stage of the trip was it questioned or considered an error fare but it was seen as a special offer that I was lucky enough to have been able to get.

Similarly when I flew GVA-CPH-GVA on LX for CHF69 round trip in Business, it was an offer that lasted for one hour, clearly indicated on their site (similar for my trip a couple months ago from Zurich to Sion and back for CHF58 in Economy, cheaper than the SBB train, which was bookable for one day last August 1st).

All this to show that it is a very grey area indeed for the airlines, such as BA, to tell you that you knowingly booked a fare that was incorrect and therefore your ticket is not valid. En plus, they are so damn profitable that they could easily honour it and earn back a bit of much needed goodwill these days.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
It's actually the most read story on the BBC News page at the moment.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
SIA at least honour their tickets in these cases.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...usiness-fares/
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA
Im beginning to think that this so called compensation voucher of £100.00 is just a way of keeping the TA happy. The fact you need to use the same TA is a bit odd, and seems TA are putting up their prices when you mention the voucher. I was also told when trying to book with the voucher that it needs to be to the same destination.

Regarding the "incorrect fare" I was told by the TA it was a BA sale. Now they have my money for 21 WORKING days!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
NO! It was lower than the taxes, charges and carrier surcharge (aka fare), but it was a lot higher than the taxes.
This, a mistake made in the predictably half-assed reporting from the Indy/Beeb.

I presume the decision to cancel must have been due to volume of sales - both in terms of close-in cheap fares v keeping stock for higher priced tickets, and in terms of the Avios/TP cost for those fares booked further out since the actual price + £100 voucher isn't all that different from the cheapest fares.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
For the lawyers out there, there was a recent Court of Appeal case on the meaning of "manifest error". I'm simplifying, but essentially, its a question of fact and is an error that is obvious or easily demonstrable without extensive investigation. Personally, I don't think this was obvious - travel agents were selling the fare in the clear belief that they thought it genuine.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by pablol
For the lawyers out there, there was a recent Court of Appeal case on the meaning of "manifest error". I'm simplifying, but essentially, its a question of fact and is an error that is obvious or easily demonstrable without extensive investigation. Personally, I don't think this was obvious - travel agents were selling the fare in the clear belief that they thought it genuine.
Other airlines (particularly easy and wizz) are selling tickets to TLV for significantly less than these tickets were sold for. BA's own low fare finder states large availabilty for just £90ish more. There is IMO very little chance that a court given this evidence would agree this was 'manifestly' an error and I would urge anyone with a cancelled ticket to fight for it - I would be amazed if they didn't cave in at the first mention of going to court.

The rules exist to let airlines off the hook for 'genuine' mistakes that cause them significant hardship. They should also be willing to stump up when they make a small boo-boo, and not be allowed a get-out card just because they decide they don't like something they've done.
fransknorge likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.