Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Fiji Airways (FJ) is to become a BAEC partner under a new oneworld connect programme.

This will be a 'light' version of oneworld membership with limited benefits for most alliance members, but BA will be one of FJ's four sponsors, along with AA, CX and QF. This means BAEC members will be able to earn and spend on FJ and get status benefits including lounge access. No start date has been given yet.

FJ has direct flights to six BA gateways - see map below - and also serves several destinations in Aus and NZ, so this may open up some interesting redemption opportunities to that part of the world, subject to availability of course.

For revenue fares, BA currently codeshares on FJ's SIN-NAN service only - to be seen if codeshares will expand. FJ will also be included in oneworld explorer RTW fares.

Press release here: <link>
AusBT article here: <link> (this doesn't mention CX as one of the sponsors)

oneworld says it's also in discussion with other carriers interested in participating in the connect programme "from various parts of the world including the Americas, Asia-Pacific and Europe".

Note: One feature mentioned in the PR is through-check of baggage between FJ and its sponsors. Given BA's no through-check on separate bookings policy, I don't think this adds much since BA already interlines to FJ on single tickets. The rather niche difference is it (presumably) means BA will through-check on separate tickets under the same PNR, which it wouldn't do currently.

BA-FJ connections:

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jun 3, 2018 at 3:22 am
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for posting this, it will fill an interesting gap in the Pacific route options. Air Fiji refurbished their Premier Lounge in Nadi a few months ago, it's still in the basement. but it's a very pleasant spot with good Indian heritage food. It is one of the stronger Priority Pass lounges (and was open to Qantas status passengers subject to various conditions).
https://www.fijiairways.com/about-fi...remier-lounge/

The Connect idea is interesting. It would seem an obvious route for Aer Lingus too.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
..The Connect idea is interesting. It would seem an obvious route for Aer Lingus too.
And Alaska given its a ff partner of BA, CX, QF, FJ, JL, LA, AY, Aer Lingus and limited partner of AA
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners

From the email
<snip>
oneworld is in discussion with other carriers interested in participating in the programme, from various parts of the world including the Americas, Asia-Pacific and Europe.
<sanip>
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The Connect idea is interesting. It would seem an obvious route for Aer Lingus too.
Yes that would make sense. Each connect member needs a minimum of three sponsors - for EI I guess this would include BA, AA, IB and AY if it were joining the JV.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I bet Air Italy (formerly Meridiana) is banging on this door already. Its second largest shareholder is also IAG's largest shareholder. Meridiana Club is based around Avios.
Ldnn1, MP001, dfw88 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Will IAG ever be interested in having Aer Lingus connected to Oneworld?
ASHFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And Alaska given its a ff partner of BA, CX, QF, FJ, JL, LA, AY, Aer Lingus and limited partner of AA

From the email
Would be great to see AS brought in at some level. I had been thinking that other cooperations might have made for a conflict, but having recently cut ties with DL, AF, KL and AM, and kept many partners that are with oneworld, it almost seems the groundwork is already there. It would be nice to have a better link between/beyond SFO/SJC/OAK/PDX/SEA/YVR, all of which are served by BA and a number of OW carriers, but if you try to book much of anything between or beyond these cities, you're likely to find it's a codeshare on AS.

Back to FJ, as I was curious to see what partnerships they have, I went to their web site to look at FQTV program. They don't really seem to have one... rather, they have paid-for membership in "Tabua Club" which brings a host of benefits normally reserved for elite level FQTV members (priority reservations, priority check-in, lounge access, extra baggage allowance, upgrade credits...). Under "Earn frequent flyer points or status credits" it says you can credit to QF/AA/AS schemes when flying FJ as a Tabua Club member.

Last edited by Schultzois; Jun 3, 2018 at 4:06 am
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Possible, but given the loosening of AA/AS ties recently, I'm not sure AA would want to be a sponsor. Would it be feasible without that?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MP001
Will IAG ever be interested in having Aer Lingus connected to Oneworld?
IAG formally stated in its bid for Aer Lingus that the intention was for it to join oneworld: IAG - International Airlines Group - News Release

However more recently the people in charge have poured cold water on that. As c-w-s says, this new connect programme would seem to provide a good solution.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
You have, of course, been able to earn Avios on FJ previously by booking on a QF flight number.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
FJ will also be included in oneworld explorer RTW fares.
Think this is meant to be Global Explorer fares per the oneworld release, so no change from the current situation
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
For revenue fares, BA currently codeshares on FJ's SIN-NAN service only - to be seen if codeshares will expand. FJ will also be included in oneworld explorer RTW fares.
Is this codeshare fare only if SIN-NAN is added to a LHR-SIN segment?

I was hoping that it would be possible to originate in SIN but I can’t find the fare loaded in ba.com - else it will be another interesting opportunity for the annual 4 BA qualifying flights for residents in Asia / Singapore.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice

I was hoping that it would be possible to originate in SIN but I can’t find the fare loaded in ba.com - else it will be another interesting opportunity for the annual 4 BA qualifying flights.
Generally codeshares are only bookable when connecting on to or from a BA flight. I would be very surprised if this is any different.

one major exception are EI flights between DUB and the UK which are bookable on BA.com as standalone BA codeshares, but EI being part of IAG is in a very different position compared to most codeshare agreements.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PrimaVista
You have, of course, been able to earn Avios on FJ previously by booking on a QF flight number.
Correct - that's down to the QF-specific exception to the general BAEC rule about non-partner codeshares. By contrast, an FJ flight booked under an AA/CX flight number currently earns nothing. I expect that will change under the new arrangement, but that's TBC.

Originally Posted by moa999
Think this is meant to be Global Explorer fares per the oneworld release, so no change from the current situation
Good spot, although as above what may change is that some of those flights may become eligible to earn in BAEC where previously they weren't, e.g. AA*FJ LAX-NAN. (The T&C of Global Explorer are a bit unclear but as far as I'm aware the earning rules for Global Explorer flights are no different to other flights.)
PrimaVista likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I was hoping that it would be possible to originate in SIN but I can’t find the fare loaded in ba.com - else it will be another interesting opportunity for the annual 4 BA qualifying flights for residents in Asia / Singapore.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Generally codeshares are only bookable when connecting on to or from a BA flight. I would be very surprised if this is any different.
Interestingly it appears from ITA to be combinable with a BA*JL TYO-SIN flight without any LON sector. However, very much not at a price worth paying... and I'm not sure it's actually bookable anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.