Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is BA's A320 the worst business class seat in the sky?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA's A320 the worst business class seat in the sky?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Misco60
I flew with Swiss just a couple of days ago, between Berlin and Zurich, and disagree that their business product is "clearly better than BA". The seats were marginally less comfortable than BA's, with the middle seat kept free but no table. The meal, on this one-hour flight, was a bit of a joke: a mini-quiche the size of a 5-franc coin, a spoonful of cold chicken curry and a spoonful of mango panna cotta.
I will not argue or disagree with you regarding the meal - I think we are on the same page. I am not impressed by LX's meal either. But if we limit the conversation to the seat only, I am curious to hear why you thought LX was less comfortable than BA. For me the seat pitch difference is noticeable. So there must be something else about the LX seat that did not work for you.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:21 am

RE: The middle table as a CE differentiator. Isn't this being 'enhanced' away?

Sahay, away middle table.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's certainly unpleasant

It's about the same as LH or LX or IB but worse than KLM who gives more pitch and has a more comfortable seat with better recline. Still, if you get a good crew who keeps the Bitter Lemons and Gins coming it's survivable.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:25 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by france77
It is awful. Can someone explain why there are 3 seats with one blocked off instead of having two large, wide decent sized, proper business class seats? What's the point of the middle one at all?
Yes. The whole point about introducing business class/Club Class Was because first class lost money and over sis. The beauty of this arrangement is that you can turn it into a fuel economy cabin at the drop of a hat , and move the curtain up and back bending on your load. Once upon a time it was three seat each side of the island then it became free one side with a wider seat and to the other. Finally this was introduced and has probably been the most successful.

I do not consider it awful.. I do consider it so clearly the public are prepared to pay for it irrespective of what may be disdained here.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Y and J are very different products people.
This thread is extremely depressing to read and I am already a sad enough boy (see: username).
Some of you BAEC members have been brainwashed by Alex Cruz and his predecessors' corporate propaganda to stick with these awful products (CW, CE)
and it just boils my blood.
Y in Europe was challenged by EasyJet, Ryanair - NOT J.
J should be PREMIUM 2X2 Recliners or Flatbeds
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Only real benefits to CE are the non-flight extras, namely priority checkin, boarding, security, lounge access and meals. Once your bum hits the leather, it’s identical as the seat 6 rows back costing £25.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EYrevanchist
J should be PREMIUM 2X2 Recliners or Flatbeds
Maybe you should fly in some other European airline short-haul cabins then? You know, the other airlines which provide flatbeds or recliners on similar routes? After all, other airlines' managements won't have been brainwashed by Alex Cruz and his predecessors.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Maybe you should fly in some other European airline short-haul cabins then? You know, the other airlines which provide flatbeds or recliners on similar routes? After all, other airlines' managements won't have been brainwashed by Alex Cruz and his predecessors.
I think that it is OS that started the practice, but nevertheless.
BA should realise that Premium Pax are PREMIUM and Y pax are not.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser
My argument entirely when people say how bad BA Club Europe is. The others in Europe aren't much better - with the exception of maybe TK or A3. Although even TK have the convertible Y cabin as J on some routes.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jwhite9185
My argument entirely when people say how bad BA Club Europe is. The others in Europe aren't much better - with the exception of maybe TK or A3. Although even TK have the convertible Y cabin as J on some routes.
That others have it in Europe does not make it any better, nor (imo) justify it. Calling economy class seats with an empty seat adjacent to be business class is risible. It doesn't even have the slight benefit it used to have of a convertible seat that makes it wider

Doing that, like NZ does on short flights, of having flexible economy tickets that have designated seating at front of aeroplane with an empty adjacent seat and meals/baggage included would be a lot more honest
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EYrevanchist
I think that it is OS that started the practice, but nevertheless.
BA should realise that Premium Pax are PREMIUM and Y pax are not.
The fact that this is what many other airlines do should tell you two things:-
  1. [*]
And even if other BA passengers have been brainwashed, why should that make your blood boil?
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Business class in Europe, not just on BA has become a different product. In days gone by it was always the most expensive ticket on the aircraft and bundled with full flexibility as well as price. Nowadays, it’s a separate product which can sometimes be had for marginal differential or even cheaper than the cheapest available Y seat but with restrictions. For me, it can sometimes be attractive if row 1 is available but generally it is not. But, one thing it definately no longer is, is premium.

Premium these days on short haul travel is priority boarding, fast-track security and lounge access. You normally get that now either with status or by paying for the individual service all depending on the carrier you are flying.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Just because "everybody does it" doesn't make it something the OP (and many others) have to like. Granted, this system is probably going to stay around for a very long time, but I am with the OP and others on this thread hoping for change. Not holding my breath though.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That others have it in Europe does not make it any better, nor (imo) justify it. Calling economy class seats with an empty seat adjacent to be business class is risible. It doesn't even have the slight benefit it used to have of a convertible seat that makes it wider ...................................
It is indeed risible. But, in all fairness, I don’t think even those who shell out (their own) hard cash for CE actually consider it a true ‘business’ product worthy of the name, in terms of what is actually provided onboard, versus the (exact same size) ET seats.

Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:51 pm

I think the most plausible solution is the installation of WTP seats on the a320's in three rows and being sold as J tbh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.