Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Beef Burger in First?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I wouldn't say full kitchen or indeed "chefs" They would be more "microwave technicians" in the GF kitchen I am sure, a la Hungry Horse or similar. All the buffet trough items would be freezer to microwave / combi / merrychef to heat lamp. I doubt there is much beyond bacon that they "cook" from raw to served. The burgers will be pre cooked and brought back to life in a quick oven.
Ah, not cooking, but "rethermalising". Sounds foul doesn't it?

Don't be so sure the bacon isn't rethermalised either: https://www.brake.co.uk/products/mea...ked-back-bacon
Old May 30, 2018, 11:48 am

Burgers are generally terrible on board. I usually avoid them, even in business or first.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think I've had the burger a couple of times. It wasn't bad, but wasn't anything to write home about either. I'd get it again if nothing else on the menu appeals. FYI, I'm not what you would consider a 'foody'.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
This came up a while ago and got similar responses. I like the BA F burger and just pre-ordered it for my flight to NRT next week.
Though as I can pick any of 8 seats right now looks like I could have my first choice of anything on the menu
Old May 30, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
If only BA could aspire to the dizzying heights of a M&S Dine in for 2 £10 deal.
At least you can get a £10 Dine in ET deal from the M&S BoB trolley : cheese & mushroom toastie and a mini bottle of wine, which I guess (?) could be shared.

Though perhaps that’s not quite what you had in mind ........
Old May 30, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
A burger in F? They'll be pouring pints of heavy next!!

Good to see BA recognises not everyone who flies in F is a ruddy food and wine aficionado.
Fish Finger Sandwich with spaghetti hoops. Freddo for desert. Washed down with a can of special brew. While wearing the limited edition BA First Kappa PJs.
HIDDY and Tredders like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Questions about food like this one always bring the same thoughts to my mind. You do not ask a Greek to cook bacon and eggs; you do not ask a Brit to make Souvlaki; you do not ask an American to cook Chinese Spring Rolls. Etc. In other words, food that comes from a particular country or culture is always going to be best when cooked by someone from that country or culture. If I want to know how good a hamburger is, I ask an American or a Canadian for an opinion, I don't ask a Brit for their opinion. The Brit simply doesn't have the experience to know just how good or bad it is in relation to an 'average' burger.
I guess it depends on the sophistication of the cuisine. I would not ask an American to rate a dish of Italian lasagne or French quiche, but I am pretty sure anyone well travelled can distinguish good scrambled eggs or hamburgers from bad ones...

Never tried the burger in F, but the one is served in GF is frankly uneatable so I would not dare.
rossmacd likes this.

Last edited by frandrake; May 30, 2018 at 3:02 pm Reason: submitted too soon.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by frandrake

Never tried the burger in F
...appears to be the common preface when declaring how awful it is bound to be. It's actually pretty tasty and stands up well against many of the other offerings.
Tobias-UK and lostinlondon like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
Tried it once ex-LHR, avoided like the plague since. Remember it being very dry and crumbly.
The time I had it, the burger was dry too. The bun, hmmm, tasted as it should. So, toast some bread, then cool it, wrap it up, refrigerate for 8-12 hours, reheat at 38,000 feet. Yum.

I don't know why I ordered it but there was some guy (on here?) who had a video of him enjoying it, exceptionally-provided in Club. I thought it must be good to go to that bother.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies

The time I had it, the burger was dry too. The bun, hmmm, tasted as it should. So, toast some bread, then cool it, wrap it up, refrigerate for 8-12 hours, reheat at 38,000 feet. Yum.

In all fairness, is it realistic to expect a top quality burger to be served inflight by any airline ......?

Could perhaps explain why so few even attempt it.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
In all fairness, is it realistic to expect a top quality burger to be served inflight by any airline ......?
No, it's not. This is why I often order pasta in J - it reheats well (although, yes, some airlines like UA still mess it up and you have crunchy pasta).

I wouldn't order the burger. Get Five Guys on the ground the day before and choose something else for your travels.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Just waiting for Gordon Ramsey to chirp in with his satire. Burgers in First ! Do they do a Chicken option to or is that the next enhancement to expect?
Old May 30, 2018, 4:39 pm

Last time I had one it wasn't bad, but not great either.

Virgin manage to do very good (mini) burgers in Upper (well they did a few years ago), better than most you get on the ground.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:48 am

I posted this question in another topic but this seems more appropriate. Can anyone advise if it is possible to order the burger with no cheese? Someone thought not but on a previous F flight many years ago the cheese was separate to the burger so the cabin crew could oblige. It is on my next flight to KUL but I cannot eat cheese (personal choice) which causes me huge problems on BA !!
Old May 31, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Ah, a fellow cheese-loather. Welcome to our small minority suffering discrimination everywhere

In an ideal world, a BA crew member would pop up with the crew meal cooking-and-plating instructions (or deep knowledge of F menus). Here's hoping!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.