Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

£20 compensation for no IFE on a 13-hour flight - fair?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)

A few months ago (and I am only posting this after such a long delay because that is how long it has taken to get a response from BA) Junior Offspring flew from LHR to HKG in economy. No IFE the entire trip. After several chasers, BA have finally offered an e-voucher for £20. Does that seem like the right amount? Seems a bit low to me but I'm curious to know if this is in line with other passengers.

Junior Offspring does not have an Avios account so Avios points are not an option.

PS Sorry some of this is in italics - try as I might, I can't get it back to normal script!
Old May 27, 2018, 8:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
What you don’t say is if there were any other available seats in the cabin that they could have switched into. And yes, £20 does seem low if there were no other available seats. In F it is around 20k avios. I would expect less in Y. However, BA effectively print their own avios so can set the bar how they like in this regard.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, madfish. So far as I am aware there were no other seats - Junior Offspring said they were pretty full - but then she is a minor and probably didn't think to check/ask! She did report it to cabin crew but apparently they didn't offer any solution other than trying to reset the system, which didn't work.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:06 pm

Someone I know got 10,000 Avios for same duration in J. £20 seems meagre to me...

You can still open a BAEC account for Junior and pool it in your household account?
Old May 27, 2018, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

We live in Hong Kong. I have my status with CX, the Memsahib has hers with MH, and Senior Offspring has hers with AY. None of us has an Avios account :-)
Old May 27, 2018, 11:31 pm

Me and my junior and the unrelated person sitting next to us got 3,000 Avios in Y for no IFE and no alternative seats.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
£20 or 3k avios is correct for Y. J get 10k and F 20k.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG
Unfortunately this has happened to me too many times. I have received 3000 in economy, In premium economy I was offered 5000 or A bottle of champagne
Old May 28, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
........................ BA have finally offered an e-voucher for £20. Does that seem like the right amount? Seems a bit low to me but I'm curious to know if this is in line with other passengers.

@ IanFromHKG - hi there !

Regardless of what other passengers may or may not have been offered (the figures are, after all, simply dreamt up by people sitting in a BA office looking to minimise payouts, and not something prescribed in law), you have to ask yourself whether you personally are happy with an amount of compensation which would strike many as very paltry - not least given that it relates to a flight lasting 13 hours, where your enjoyment was severely curtailed.

Think of the (implied) conversation between BA colleagues when they finally got round to writing to you : “Just send him a £20 voucher. He may not like it, but most people never bother to follow up, so it’s usually enough to keep them quiet”

It’s especially disappointing to hear that you were kept waiting several months for a response to such a simple complaint. Perhaps this has affected your overall attitude to the offer itself.

Old May 28, 2018, 1:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My understanding is also it's
WT 3k Avios / £20 e-voucher / or a duty free voucher
WTP 5k / £30
CW 10k / £60
F 20k / £120
and it's best to go for Avios rather than the alternatives since you could theoretically get 3 times the value out of it compared to the voucher.

This may seem a bit tough on longer, more expensive WT flights since they could be very boring if you had no other entertainment with you, but this has to be set against the lowest WT fare per leg of around £140. Hopefully the traveller concerned had their own gizmo with them.

What is supposed to happen is the CSD or CSM is supposed to action this on board, but we've had mixed information as to whether this is effective or not.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
£20 or 3k avios is correct for Y. J get 10k and F 20k.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My understanding is also it's
WT 3k Avios / £20 e-voucher / or a duty free voucher
WTP 5k / £30
CW 10k / £60
F 20k / £120
I recently received 15k for no IFE from LAX-LHR so I am wondering if there is an increase depending on status? The whole plane was out from start to finish on a 10hr + flight so I wonder CWS/CIHY in your wisdom could the length of the flight also be a factor i.e. east coast/west coast USA? Genuinely curious and any info appreciated!

£20 does seem a bit mean for the OP I have to say.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
I recently received 15k for no IFE from LAX-LHR so I am wondering if there is an increase depending on status? The whole plane was out from start to finish on a 10hr + flight so I wonder CWS/CIHY in your wisdom could the length of the flight also be a factor i.e. east coast/west coast USA? Genuinely curious and any info appreciated!

£20 does seem a bit mean for the OP I have to say.
I also recently received 15,000 Avios from BA CR for no IFE LAS-LHR in J. CSM initially offered a £10 duty free voucher which could only be used on the next flight as compensation, which he agreed was inadequate.
PETER01 likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Seems rather mean particularly as there might well be little else to do in Y.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Twenty quid. For no entertainment on a 13 hour flight is crazy. Literally twenty quid? 4 fivers lol. I'd be fuming.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by gorps1

I also recently received 15,000 Avios from BA CR for no IFE LAS-LHR in J. CSM initially offered a £10 duty free voucher which could only be used on the next flight as compensation, which he agreed was inadequate.

Gotta love the £10 voucher !

Hope the CSM managed to keep a straight face as s/he made the offer.

Enough to buy a bar of Toblerone from BA duty-free, I believe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.