Search

Help With Flights To South Africa Please

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I have more than I can use at present
Should I PM my Flying Club number now? Or a little bit later?
Pascoe likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup

Hi,
I was able to request an upgrade to F for the whole family (x4) because it is one of the benefits of BA GGL status. It’s often referred to on this forum as a Joker. As a GGL member you are given two Jokers per year. Each Joker allows the member to open up reward availability on almost any BA flight for up to five people.

Congratulations on your flights btw! Good price.

AKA ba11er status!

Sounds great and glad to see you make use of it. It scares me how many people probably don't.

Just need to book accommodation now!
Old May 25, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad it’s all booked eugegall

hang around these parts and you’ll always get the best deals and top tips
Old May 25, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Glad it’s all booked eugegall

hang around these parts and you’ll always get the best deals and top tips
Don't worry, I wont be going anywhere.

Need to figure out the rest of the forum now.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:37 am

Tempted to bite the bullet and suck up the £1.7k cost but I think to myself, creeping over on the Qatar forum seeing they are flying their planes around with empty premium cabins and with the big points deval, there must be a sale on the cards. Surely?!
Old May 30, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191
Hi, Cris L ... hope you're well?

What airline ex-BRU, please? I hope it's OW and not one of those European things!
Very well, indeed.

This ex EU from Brussels which was on Iberia, cost the princely sum of £379 round trip to Johannesburg. Due to a schedule change, the outbound was changed to BA. As I said, it was in Y.

Ive done NCE/ARN/AMS & BRU. LUX also often has very good fares.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just booked my first ex-eu trip thanks to FT! Head to South Africa next half term - after lots of playing around on ITA and ExpertFlyer I'm happy with the cost.
With the cheap fares finishing on the 15 Sept, ended up starting this route with AMS-LHR in Sept, then a long layover in London until mid Feb before doing LHR --> CPT / JNB --> LHR ---> AMS. Next there was no I class availability with an AMS point of sale, a quick call to the BA in the UK and got a UK point of sale and all booked into an I class.
The long layover added some UK APD but the cheaper Sept start offset that.
Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
That seems like an awesome price for CW.

My my father passed last week and the best I could get was £3k + Economy to JHB. Understandable it’s was short notice but I hadn’t expected those prices.

im clueless, so it’s better to book via AMS and do the Lon to Ams separately?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by barneyb
Just booked my first ex-eu trip thanks to FT! Head to South Africa next half term - after lots of playing around on ITA and ExpertFlyer I'm happy with the cost.
With the cheap fares finishing on the 15 Sept, ended up starting this route with AMS-LHR in Sept, then a long layover in London until mid Feb before doing LHR --> CPT / JNB --> LHR ---> AMS. Next there was no I class availability with an AMS point of sale, a quick call to the BA in the UK and got a UK point of sale and all booked into an I class.
The long layover added some UK APD but the cheaper Sept start offset that.
Thanks everyone!
Would you mind me asking what you paid for these flights?

Congrats. We're doing the exact same in October and cant wait.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Priced up at around £2100 with two long London stopovers and a comair flight from Windhoek.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:27 pm

I am going to CPT tomorrow in J for £1355.58 on QR. They are worth watching for their sales!
Old May 27, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Decent bump here but after completely these flights in October myself and the wife both fell In love with the country, especially the safari element.

We are planning another visit now for January but can't find the reward 241 flights we're looking for.

Last edited by eugegall; May 27, 2019 at 8:11 am
Old May 27, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Other than to keep checking availability, there isn’t much else to do. Some routes do get booked quickly; I’ve just booked my own CPT/JNB flights for next May as soon as they came in to system range (had to call the UK at 5am my time this morning to secure my return).

Keep checking award availability, but start thinking of alternatives; going somewhere else to use the 241, or paying money to go to ZA.
eugegall likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Other than to keep checking availability, there isn’t much else to do. Some routes do get booked quickly; I’ve just booked my own CPT/JNB flights for next May as soon as they came in to system range (had to call the UK at 5am my time this morning to secure my return).

Keep checking award availability, but start thinking of alternatives; going somewhere else to use the 241, or paying money to go to ZA.
Yeah good plan.

We've booked the outbound but we are just waiting for an inbound to show up. We would fly back from any of the airport but I fancy the day flight back from Durban this time.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: *A
FWIW, random F availability recently opened up on the week of 22 Dec.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.