Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seats changed by BA for "Operational Reasons", staff now in seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seats changed by BA for "Operational Reasons", staff now in seats

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I think folk are being very defensive of BA.
Surprise surprise. A lot of people on here seem to treat BA like their football team...
I think being fairly critical is what encourages change for the good.
SK, Sweetone, hugolover and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by themax
Is this really "operational reasons" or is a complaint to CS worth it?
Personally I wouldn't bother.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL
On a recent Man-LHR, travelling with my partner (GGL and Gold) I got upgraded at the gate to CE. My partner did not. My original seat next to my partner had a cabin crew member in it. I spoke to the pursor who managed to move my partner into CE next to me which was good of him. This was the first time i've been split up from my partner and one of us upgraded.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'd be surprised if any BA staff would move a GOLD out of a seat for a staff member as it is all trackable. Further not everyone has the access levels required to do this.

As this was WTP, staff do not get allocated this cabin as a general rule unless there are no seats in other cabins. 2 days before travel, it is unlikely that anyone would have known that the staff would definitely in be given WTP seats. They would have been given those seats as a result of having either a Club or First priority and not being able to get seats in either of those cabins. They would then get whatever cabin and seats remain free.
Anonba likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
It's incredible that people get this flustered over a seat. Especially when one essentially gets what one originally intended, perhaps albeit in a slightly different position.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by ilcannone
It's incredible that people get this flustered over a seat. Especially when one essentially gets what one originally intended, perhaps albeit in a slightly different position.
Whilst I hear what you say, some seats [especially in CW] are significantly better than others. Some of us have mobility issues, or want privacy but with aisle access. Some want to sit side by side. Some have children. Others don't care.

Surely the point of seat selection is allowing individuals [and especially couples or families] to choose where they want to sit?
SK, Buster, themax and 3 others like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA gold
...because everyone is different? Some cares about a particular seat on a particular aircraft and others don't even care they are in a random middle seat.

Likewise, not all seats in a cabin is equal. BA knows this as there's different prices for seats within the same cabin.

I do find it annoying when they shuffle seats but the number of times this happened over nearly 980,000 miles of flying can be counted on one hand.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by ilcannone
If it is no big deal then why does this airline charge non status customers a small fortune to choose a seat when even flying in premier cabins? I think you will find it is a big deal.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: BMI Gold, BA Silver (Gold imminent!)
Happened to me once. Wife and I moved from 1A and 1C to 6A and 6C (last row of CE) to accommodate a single female traveller who was on first name terms with CC. I asked CC why we were moved after check in and she said it must have been an aircraft change - it wasn’t. I then asked if the solo traveller was BA CC and she denied it. incidentally we did not get our first choice of lunch.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:12 pm

Staff travel is on a standby basis. We’re allocated seats that are available only after all revenue passengers have been accommodated. Chances are that the OP was moved out of their originally booked seat due to a seating fault/aircraft change/weight and balance/computer error/a host of other reasons, which was then resolved and the seats were reopened. Clearly, it would’ve been better to then reallocate the OP to these seats, but I don’t think this is something that usually happens (but then I have no idea about back office booking/seating systems). Resultantly, seats remained empty and unreserved so they were filled with staff at the gate.
Its not particularly helpful to suggest staff are moving pax seats as ‘favours’ to their mates elsewhere in the airline as this isn’t something any staff have the privilege of and definitely won’t have been the case.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Just my tuppence worth. This happened to us from IST. We’d had 1D&F booked for months as Gold . Day before seats mysteriously changed to Row 6. Gold line said operational reasons by ground staff at IST. At airport manager traced change to a member of staff from London, nothing to do with them. Hard to believe someone on Gold line would try and cover up the reason. Lone man was sitting in our original seats.
We complained and got service recovery, they basically couldn’t explain away the IT trail that something fishy had gone on.. (Oh and wink wink we saw on the iPad the guy had a Black coloured icon, thanks to the CSM)

Last edited by cheshirepete; May 21, 2018 at 3:37 pm
Old May 21, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
I'd complain just to get someone to look at it. You probably wont get much satisfaction, but if it WAS BA staff pulling strings, then it will be noted and might save it from happening to other travellers. Good post.
SK likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: BMI Gold, BA Silver (Gold imminent!)
We were only changed at bag check in the airport and I know for a fact that there was no issue with seat or function. I really believe we were moved after check in for a member of crew.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fozziman
We were only changed at bag check in the airport and I know for a fact that there was no issue with seat or function. I really believe we were moved after check in for a member of crew.

As cabin crew, unless something was mentioned on the iPad/PIL, we wouldn’t have the slightest clue why you were moved. But you wouldn’t have been moved for crew, or any other staff.
Anonba likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nivsy
If it is no big deal then why does this airline charge non status customers a small fortune to choose a seat when even flying in premier cabins? I think you will find it is a big deal.
Plus, by this "logic", no one should ever complain about seat poachers and we should always be pleased to move to any seat upon request of anyone, for any reason or no reason at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.