Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does BA open more award seats closer to departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

Hi,

Does BA open up more First/Club award seats to NYC closer to the departure date? I'm looking for 2 seats (I know it's last minute) in July but the availability is nil or very limited. On Expertflyer I"m seeing that these cabins are wide open on some the dates that I'm looking at.
Does BA let the planes fly with empty seats or are they proactive in filling them up as award redemptions?
Old May 17, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by NickyEWR
Hi,

Does BA open up more First/Club award seats to NYC closer to the departure date? I'm looking for 2 seats (I know it's last minute) in July but the availability is nil or very limited. On Expertflyer I"m seeing that these cabins are wide open on some the dates that I'm looking at.
Does BA let the planes fly with empty seats or are they proactive in filling them up as award redemptions?
Yes they open up more seats sometimes but not others. There is no rhyme or reason and Ba are happy to fly with empty seats rather than dumping them on the award market.

Its a busy route ( to/from London? ) so the odds are with you. Just keep checking and good luck..
Old May 17, 2018, 3:40 pm

If you have some flexibility with your dates this late availability in a great thing. Other airlines do it too; I have got JAL redemptions near the fly date that have worked very well for me!
Old May 17, 2018, 3:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
After the 355 day input, probably the best chance of seeing more seats is either after a Sale has ended, and then about 3 days before departure. But additional seats can come available at any stage. Personally I think it's best to book any cabin you are prepared to fly in, then keep an eye on the cabin you want to fly in.

Don't forget to check LGW-JFK (though it's not BA's best offering in CW, and there is no First), and consider places likes BOS and PHL which sometimes are easier.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Hoping for a late release of An Avios seat in F from JNB to LHR in a couple of weeks. EF suggests that currently availability is good (F7, A7) on one of the daily flights. But only one seat in PE currently available for Avios. I wonder if Mr Cruz’s reported intention to allow Avios to be used for any available seat (over and above the current part-pay offer) will ever come into effect.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I can’t speak for the USA in first , however I do follow the London Malaga availbilty as I travel there frequently.

This is changes all the time. I am going this Sunday and I booked a paid for ticket as nothing was available

Since booking I have Done a daily reward search. It has ranged from an early flight , no flights and an afternoon flight ( this mornings search ) so it changes quite a bit.

The other week week there was nothing. On Sunday morning I searched at 10:30am. Flight from London city. Was airbourne at 1pm

i dont have have to go , and can go at nil notice so it works for me most of the time unless I chicken out and buy a revenue fare like this week.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Hoping for a late release of An Avios seat in F from JNB to LHR in a couple of weeks. EF suggests that currently availability is good (F7, A7) on one of the daily flights. But only one seat in PE currently available for Avios. I wonder if Mr Cruz’s reported intention to allow Avios to be used for any available seat (over and above the current part-pay offer) will ever come into effect.
JNB doesn't strike me as a route where you have a great chance of success. It may help however that you're out of season. We tried in November and got absolutely nowhere.

This was / is a good resource for checking though...

https://baredemptionfinder.com/
orbitmic and Anonba like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:08 am

I tracked short notice F and J availability daily for JNB-LHR in April for a couple of months earlier this year. I saw nothing in the 10 day window that would have worked for us, and I'm not sure there was anything at all in the whole month. So I hope you are lucky, but I wouldn't get too hopeful.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
I fly to JNB in F regularly (in fact I'm here right now!) and the cabin is almost always full. Your best chance of late award availability is mid-week, most likely Tuesday and Wednesday nights, although Saturday nights are often a little quieter too. Note also that it is now winter over here, so loads will be a little lighter.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Thanks all. I have been pretty lucky with JNB in the past but I know it is generally popular. As I can see a good number of empty seats on one flight that is not too far away I’m hoping one may become available. I am keeping an eye with EF and BA redemption finder.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks! Since yesterday I noticed more Club Board award seats open upon July (but none near the time frame I'm looking at)
Old May 19, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
And had I waited the flight I am on tomorrow to Malaga has just opened up in business
Old May 19, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
As I have posted previously I had one wonderful occasion when a J seat became available the day before I wanted to fly, got to the airport and found the flight fairly heavily overbooked in J, so got an op-u/g to F.

Just this week I was looking to advance a trip and get onto a flight that was fully booked in both CE and ET. Then 2 days before departure, 2 ET seats opened up, one of which was available as a standard (not just Gold) Avios seat, Obviously the flight was 100% full on the day..

No rhyme, reason, logic or anything else to why the computer says what it does !
Old May 19, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickyEWR
..Does BA open up more First/Club award seats to NYC closer to the departure date? I'm looking for 2 seats (I know it's last minute) in July but the availability is nil or very limited. On Expertflyer I"m seeing that these cabins are wide open on some the dates that I'm looking at.
For people (work~business) that buy first/business class with real money July is a long way in the future. Would not be unusual for seats to be purchased in the week/days before a flight.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
My experience with the west coast flights is that BA tends to use AUPs to fill J and F cabins. So if you like to pay cash to move up this can be good. If you want to use miles, it means less opportunity...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.