FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Renewed bronze without qualifcation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1909419-renewed-bronze-without-qualifcation.html)

highlander100 May 15, 2018 4:41 am

Renewed bronze without TP

Folks,

I used to fly BA a fair amount, but defected for KL/AF. So now my flights are limited to domestic. I managed 205TP this year and was very surprised to see i kept bronze membership, however there was no correspondence to say why. Just the normal letter saying i had qualified.

Is BA actively trying to keep people? Now if they had processed my paternity request to keep silver, then it may have been a different story.....

cupsandsaucers May 15, 2018 4:45 am

Simple soft landing?

Cymro May 15, 2018 4:47 am

If you were silver the year before then you soft land to bronze - this is normal.

highlander100 May 15, 2018 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 29755342)
If you were silver the year before then you soft land to bronze - this is normal.

no, was soft landed to bronze last year. So this is my 2nd bronze year

BOH May 15, 2018 6:03 am

Originally Posted by highlander100 (Post 29755501)

Might be because after the IT meltdown in May last year BA (selectively) gave some G/S/B card holders complimentary status for a subsequent year.

onobond May 15, 2018 6:06 am

Just enjoy your Bronze status an other year, qualifying with 210 TPs only. Must have been a glitch, or 'A special price. only for you'.

Situation similar to discovering a lower-than-normal air fare: Don't call the airline!

Eskimoboy May 15, 2018 6:23 am

Originally Posted by highlander100 (Post 29755333)
Folks,

I used to fly BA a fair amount, but defected for KL/AF. So now my flights are limited to domestic. I managed 205TP this year and was very surprised to see i kept bronze membership, however there was no correspondence to say why. Just the normal letter saying i had qualified.

Is BA actively trying to keep people? Now if they had processed my paternity request to keep silver, then it may have been a different story.....

This is a particularly sore point for me as it didn't happen to me when I ended last year on 220 TP, BUT it did for my wife with her 210 TP. She's been lording it over me all year! Our flying patterns are pretty much identical over the past few years as we fly together for leisure.

I'll have my revenge one day ;-)

ktllo May 15, 2018 7:36 pm

How many BA flights did you take? I think 25 flights will get you bronze too.

brunos May 15, 2018 8:41 pm

It is fairly common for non-UK residents.
Their system must have some selection criteria but it happened to several members of my family.

Lioneye May 16, 2018 2:01 am

Originally Posted by highlander100 (Post 29755501)

Same thing happened to me at renewal.

mickeyjaw May 16, 2018 3:54 am

Were you booked on any of the flights affected by the IT outage? If so then that may be the reason as I believe they were comping status renewals by way of apology...

cupsandsaucers May 16, 2018 3:59 am

Originally Posted by ktllo (Post 29758502)
How many BA flights did you take? I think 25 flights will get you bronze too.

Flying 25 Flights an only accruing 210 TP is a pretty special skill in of itself! Don't think I could do it if I tried. Even in Y.

Pascoe May 16, 2018 4:19 am

I had no idea there was a soft landing from silver. Oh well. Learn something new every day.

KARFA May 16, 2018 4:28 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers (Post 29759527)
Flying 25 Flights an only accruing 210 TP is a pretty special skill in of itself! Don't think I could do it if I tried. Even in Y.

not at all. since the cheapest domestic and short haul flights in ET (in Q/O/G) get only 5 TPs, if you were a regular flyer in ET you may only get 125 TPs from your 25 flights. Even if half of them were in more expensive selling codes earning 10 TPs you would still hit 25 flights before hitting 300 TPs. i am sure there are a number of regular ET flyers who probably earn bronze or silver based on number of flights rather than TPs.

BertieBadger May 16, 2018 4:29 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers (Post 29759527)

It is in fact trivially easy if only flying shorthaul on the cheapest fares. Someone doing, e.g. a weekly commute LHR to EDI/DUB/BRU etc and booking into the cheapest classes (Q,O,G) would have just 125 TP after 25 flights.

EDIT: And KARFA beats me to it :D