Search

Renewed bronze without qualifcation

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Renewed bronze without TP

Folks,

I used to fly BA a fair amount, but defected for KL/AF. So now my flights are limited to domestic. I managed 205TP this year and was very surprised to see i kept bronze membership, however there was no correspondence to say why. Just the normal letter saying i had qualified.

Is BA actively trying to keep people? Now if they had processed my paternity request to keep silver, then it may have been a different story.....

Last edited by highlander100; May 15, 2018 at 6:01 am
Old May 15, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Simple soft landing?
Old May 15, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If you were silver the year before then you soft land to bronze - this is normal.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Cymro
If you were silver the year before then you soft land to bronze - this is normal.
no, was soft landed to bronze last year. So this is my 2nd bronze year
Old May 15, 2018, 6:03 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by highlander100
Might be because after the IT meltdown in May last year BA (selectively) gave some G/S/B card holders complimentary status for a subsequent year.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Just enjoy your Bronze status an other year, qualifying with 210 TPs only. Must have been a glitch, or 'A special price. only for you'.

Situation similar to discovering a lower-than-normal air fare: Don't call the airline!
Old May 15, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Folks,

I used to fly BA a fair amount, but defected for KL/AF. So now my flights are limited to domestic. I managed 205TP this year and was very surprised to see i kept bronze membership, however there was no correspondence to say why. Just the normal letter saying i had qualified.

Is BA actively trying to keep people? Now if they had processed my paternity request to keep silver, then it may have been a different story.....
This is a particularly sore point for me as it didn't happen to me when I ended last year on 220 TP, BUT it did for my wife with her 210 TP. She's been lording it over me all year! Our flying patterns are pretty much identical over the past few years as we fly together for leisure.

I'll have my revenge one day ;-)
Old May 15, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
How many BA flights did you take? I think 25 flights will get you bronze too.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is fairly common for non-UK residents.
Their system must have some selection criteria but it happened to several members of my family.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Same thing happened to me at renewal.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Were you booked on any of the flights affected by the IT outage? If so then that may be the reason as I believe they were comping status renewals by way of apology...
Old May 16, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by ktllo
How many BA flights did you take? I think 25 flights will get you bronze too.
Flying 25 Flights an only accruing 210 TP is a pretty special skill in of itself! Don't think I could do it if I tried. Even in Y.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I had no idea there was a soft landing from silver. Oh well. Learn something new every day.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Flying 25 Flights an only accruing 210 TP is a pretty special skill in of itself! Don't think I could do it if I tried. Even in Y.
not at all. since the cheapest domestic and short haul flights in ET (in Q/O/G) get only 5 TPs, if you were a regular flyer in ET you may only get 125 TPs from your 25 flights. Even if half of them were in more expensive selling codes earning 10 TPs you would still hit 25 flights before hitting 300 TPs. i am sure there are a number of regular ET flyers who probably earn bronze or silver based on number of flights rather than TPs.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
It is in fact trivially easy if only flying shorthaul on the cheapest fares. Someone doing, e.g. a weekly commute LHR to EDI/DUB/BRU etc and booking into the cheapest classes (Q,O,G) would have just 125 TP after 25 flights.

EDIT: And KARFA beats me to it
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.