Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Broken seat on 767 fresh out of maintenance (G-BZHC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

I flew LCA-LHR on G-BZHC yesterday, which BA Source tells me returned from maintenance the day before. I was in 14F, and what felt like the top half of my seat would recline whenever I leaned on it, without the recline release button being pressed. Obviously, I don't know what type of maintenance the plane was undergoing, but it strikes me that given that it was in the shop for a month, such things could have been picked up and resolved.

I was happy enough being in an old J seat, on a Y ticket, but I don't think the fella behind me appreciated how flexible the back was. Are BA running out of spares for these old interiors, or just slowly running them down?
hugolover likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Who’s to say it didn’t malfunction on the outbound LHR/LCA service or that it had not been reported?
Old May 12, 2018, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by madfish
Who’s to say it didn’t malfunction on the outbound LHR/LCA service or that it had not been reported?
Entirely possible.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by armouredant

Entirely possible.
I think the general idea is the plane just came out of a check so unless someone went out of their way to break the seat on the outbound sector, it's likely wear and tear that hasn't been sorted out.

Obviously these planes are being retired soon so they aren't prepared to spend the money.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
It looks like the 767 fleet are falling due C checks - likely due due to hours flown - and these are being carried out despite the impending retirements. I suspect these inputs were not programmed into the BAMC or LHR base workloads - and have been outsourced to Cardiff Aviation.

I don't think the C-check includes any significant work in the cabin other than inspection for visible defect. The problem you describe would only become evident if someone sat in the seat.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by bmibaby737

I think the general idea is the plane just came out of a check so unless someone went out of their way to break the seat on the outbound sector, it's likely wear and tear that hasn't been sorted out.

Obviously these planes are being retired soon so they aren't prepared to spend the money.
A tad unrealistic I suspect - even if checked during maintenance the nature of wear and tear is such that the seat could fail at any time.

Just because my car passes its MOT doesn't mean something won't fail the next day.
BingBongBoy and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
99% sure this isn’t happening but would be great to see some 788’s in short haul config replacing these old 76’s. Wishful thinking !
Old May 12, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
99% sure this isn’t happening but would be great to see some 788’s in short haul config replacing these old 76’s. Wishful thinking !
How many CE rows would you configure a short haul B788 with and what routes would you fly them on?
Old May 12, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
I flew on G-BZHC this morning and the headrest was knackered. Mildly irritating but the comfier and roomier seat more than made up for it. I’ll be really sad to see these birds go, really quite enjoy flying on them despite them being a little tired.

Other than BNWA and BNWB I don’t know why they need to go. BA are still going to be flogging much older 772 and 744s and theyre only a couple of years older than the oldest 319s and 320s.

788s with the WTP seat in the forward cabin and pinnacle seats behind door 2 would be an ideal replacement however. Densified 321s no thank you!
Old May 12, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by cameramaker
Other than BNWA and BNWB I don’t know why they need to go.
Presumably reducing the number of aircraft types in the fleet saves money?
Old May 12, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft

how many ce rows would you configure a short haul b788 with and what routes would you fly them on?
ist, ath, lca, tlv, dom, mad, nce, arn, tfs, pmi, fra
Old May 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

Other than BNWA and BNWB I don’t know why they need to go. BA are still going to be flogging much older 772 and 744s and theyre only a couple of years older than the oldest 319s and 320s.
The 777s and 747s do 2 pressurisation/landing gear cycles a day, anything that does short haul is doing 6-10, they age much much quicker.

The 767 was designed as a short/medium haul aircraft that later pioneered ETOPS. The 787 is a medium/long haul aircraft through and through, it really isn't built for a high cycle environment.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; May 12, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old May 12, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I flew on G-BZHC this morning and the headrest was knackered.

The headrests are broken on all the convertible seats on all seven aircraft.

The five other 767s date from 1994-1998. Whilst the oldest A319s date from 1999, these are also scheduled for retirement shortly. The oldest A320s date from 2002, so quite a bit newer. The Airbus fleet has been refitted internally much more recently; the 767s really are in dreadful condition internally.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
The 777s and 747s do 2 pressurisation/landing gear cycles a day, anything that does short haul is doing 6-10, they age much much quicker.

The 767 was designed as a short/medium haul aircraft that later pioneered ETOPS. The 787 is a medium/long haul aircraft through and through, it really isn't built for a high cycle environment.
None of the 767s are doing anywhere near 5 return trips a day. I’ve seen Airbus aircraft in BAs fleet in much worse condition than the 767s, its just becuase they have the old fashioned looking seats that they look like theyve been pulled straight out of Victorville.

A321s are awful for the longer short haul routes and the MID registered aircraft are terrible.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by richardwft

How many CE rows would you configure a short haul B788 with and what routes would you fly them on?
Not sure about number of CE rows but as a replacement on current 76 routes would be ideal. Longer european LCA/ATH/IST plus other shorter european where the 76 is deployed on daily basis. Would be the perfect aircraft. Cargo comes into consideration also. Taking a PMC (4000kg) of freight is worth much more than an AKE (1400kg). B788 v A321.

Last edited by THEOBCMAN; May 12, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.