Search

Bag 10cm too big

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Bag 10cm too big

Hi all,
I'm doing a hand baggage only trip next week but have just realised that the only bag I have is 10cm too long. How tight are BA at present on a the size of bags on a hand bag only fare? I'm thinking I may just have to stump up £30 to put it in the hold. I have pre selected emergency row seats on an A320/1. The rest of the dimensions are OK.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Gold status? No problem I suspect.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by steve170461
Hi all,
I'm doing a hand baggage only trip next week but have just realised that the only bag I have is 10cm too long. How tight are BA at present on a the size of bags on a hand bag only fare? I'm thinking I may just have to stump up £30 to put it in the hold. I have pre selected emergency row seats on an A320/1. The rest of the dimensions are OK.
Can vary wildly.... Tbh try it and you may even be able to gate check it for free airside or at the gate if needed
Old May 10, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
actually lowly silver at present but will be gold in june
Old May 10, 2018, 11:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Not always! A few weeks ago enroute to LAX I got stopped at EDI in Gp1 when boarding as I was about 50cm over which I genuinely didn't realise.

I had to take an item from my small rucksack and repack it in my carry on which is OK in the sizer so it can happen. The GA was a rather surly person and I don't say that lightly and ignored the lower groups, some of whom had 3 BIG bags many of whom walked past her and when I politely pointed this out for consistency reasons she just ignored them and walked away from me!!

However, technically I was in the wrong so I accept that and I was 2 inches over to start with. I now have a smaller rucksack to carry so it won't happen again.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's unlikely to be an issue. Take it to the gate, if you're worried about it, take it to the front when they ask for bags to check into the hold (if it's a full flight) and you'll most likely be put into Group 0 too. But to be honest if you're in Group 2 you're not going to have an issue taking it onboard and stowing it.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by PETER01
Not always! A few weeks ago enroute to LAX I got stopped at EDI in Gp1 when boarding as I was about 50cm over which I genuinely didn't realise.
That's a big ask for HBO
Old May 10, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by teledude
That's a big ask for HBO

I have been told several times my carry on is far too big but when I place it in the sizer it just slides down ever so gracefully, the issue was with my rucksack which I gave a row to for carrying too much

Note to self, must get a CWS type bag for over the shoudler.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
i very much disagree. 10cm is a lot and staff have been known to target the group 1/2 queues looking for bags to check more than occasionally. I would never chance it if I need to be sure to be able to keep luggage in the cabin on short haul and I’m GGL/CCR
Old May 10, 2018, 12:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Delete
Old May 10, 2018, 12:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

I had to take an item from my small rucksack and repack it in my carry on which is OK in the sizer so it can happen. The GA was a rather surly person and I don't say that lightly and ignored the lower groups, some of whom had 3 BIG bags many of whom walked past her and when I politely pointed this out for consistency reasons she just ignored them and walked away from me!!

However, technically I was in the wrong so I accept that and I was 2 inches over to start with. I now have a smaller rucksack to carry so it won't happen again.
50cm? You exaggerating your size again? I suspect you mean 50mm. 50cm would be a whol other bag.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If it's 10 cm too big, will it still fit into the overhead locker without putting it sideways and taking up a lot of space? I just get the feeling that it might not, and it really should be put in the hold.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by madfish

50cm? You exaggerating your size again? I suspect you mean 50mm. 50cm would be a whol other bag.
Oops, your right madfish. It was literally 2 inches, I'm old school in inches, yards and miles and got my mm and cm mixed up
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by steve170461
Hi all,
Is it a trundler or shoulder bag? I think my soft sided, cuboid style bag is technically a bit oversized but never seems to attract attention on my back. It also looks quite a bit smaller than some that seem to get onboard with no trouble!
Old May 10, 2018, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Note to self, must get a CWS type bag for over the shoudler.
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Is it a trundler or shoulder bag? I think my soft sided, cuboid style bag is technically a bit oversized but never seems to attract attention on my back. It also looks quite a bit smaller than some that seem to get onboard with no trouble!
steve170461, order this in the next few hours, you'll have it by Saturday, and your problems are solved.

Amazon Amazon

It folds down to the size of a paperback book (and weighs less than the book), it has an invisibility cloak around it and you can go HBO for a month on this quite easily. Get yourself a wider shoulder strap from a travel boutique rack somewhere, the one supplied is a bit narrow. It's within the BA size limits for cabin baggage, and you can get it on to other airlines with more restrictive limits by simply not filling the bag too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.