Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remove Avios for Corporate Fare Bookings

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
What a ridiculous idea. I work for a large consulting company that employs 400k people. We get to book our own trips/choose the airline using an online portal.

BA would immediately see all these people leaving in droves to some other airline.
EuropeanPete and duncgor like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
There was me taking this for an obviously tongue-in-cheek swipe at the proposal that only the precious Golds should have access to F redemptions, then people took it personally...
Old May 10, 2018, 2:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario
What a ridiculous idea. I work for a large consulting company that employs 400k people. We get to book our own trips/choose the airline using an online portal.

BA would immediately see all these people leaving in droves to some other airline.
So, you'd choose BA even if it was more expensive than AF (for example) because of the tier points & Avios? That's great if you can get away with it - but I doubt most employers are that generous.

But anyway, that's a whole other discussion what we've had previously.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
There was me taking this for an obviously tongue-in-cheek swipe at the proposal that only the precious Golds should have access to F redemptions, then people took it personally...
Really?
Old May 10, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Originally Posted by mario

Same here.
It would be interesting to see what percentage of airline choice for business travel is chosen by the flyer vs the party making the payment.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Really?
Presumably why we don't see consultants charging by the sense of humour.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by etiene
There was me taking this for an obviously tongue-in-cheek swipe at the proposal that only the precious Golds should have access to F redemptions, then people took it personally ...
In a forum full of people who, as a matter of generalisation, take airline miles and status far too seriously anyway, can it be any surprise that some people will have a massive sense of humour failure at even obviously satirical posts?
Old May 10, 2018, 3:32 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by onobond
Your example of personal points earnings through two major hotel chains, when travelling on company dime, is a good example to follow. There has been many posts on the BA FT advocating earnings on BAEC should be revenue-based, instead of the present system. The term 'follow the money' has been repeated many times. Of course, BA (as other airlines) also moves in mysterious ways sometimes, and contrary to popular belief here, might not use FT as their prime source of information for any desicion making.

To let benefits follow the money would in my world of perception be exactly that. Corporate spending equals bennies in form of Avios for spending by the company, vs personal spending let the spender/traveller have the Avios and TPs. Although there are posts here and in many other threads describing how corporate travellers endure company policies restricting flying to Y class, there is also a fair amount of others declaring 75+ % of yearly TP/Avios earnings from company spending. Seemingly less F nowadays, compared to when I became member of FT, but , at least in this forum, LH travel overwhelmingly in C, compared to Y.

As a curiosity, and without any statistical significance to this discussion, let me give an example of a corporate traveller, maybe somewhat atypical. Sitting next to a man in a southern EU BA lounge. During the time waiting for a delayed incoming aircraft, among other things discussed, ways of travelling became a topic. He had been GGL for many years, was LTG, and during the 6 years before retiring, would achieve LTGGL. For the last 12 years he had made no personal spending on BA, for out of work travelling with/without his wife, always on LCCs. His respectable high seven digit Avios balance he considered an addition to a meagre pension plan.

Strenous working conditions, like repeated work LH travel in Y, low salary and/or pension plans are negotiable matters between employee/employer. It would seem illogical to demand compensation from BA for trying company travel policies or any other employment conditions.
IHG offer qualifying and non qualifying rates. The non qualifying rates work out at maybe 20% of the points or so. Sadly Hilton give nothing to those on corporate rates, as I spent an entire month in one in one go at the beginning of the points year! To look at it from a companies perspective, in order to attract the most business customers they can, BA are obviously going to need to excel in 3 areas (descending order from importance to businesses). 1 - Low cost Y/W/J class fares. 2 - Good Business rewards. 3 - Good personal rewards. At the minute they do very well in all three areas, and while for global businesses based in the UK they will probably be unable to commit to another airline that has BAs reach out of LHR, having those 3 things does indeed prevent them from bothering to shop elsewhere.

I would say somewhat to most business travellers the tier points are more important than the Avios. Avios are essentially a currency that can be redeemed for personal spending, the Tier points are what give access to departure & arrivals lounges etc. So hypothetically if they were going to reduce anything I'd have thought the Avios earned via corporate rates would be a good place to start.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am a corporate traveler and earn TP and Avios. If my company asks me for the Avios they would get them instantly without any questions. The TP is a different matter.
Having access to the lounges makes my travel more convinient. It is not that I like leaving the mrs that often as i do.

if corporate travelers would have silver status i would not. Ind. Untill then i lik the fact that i can earn TP and gain the status to enjoy the benefits it brings.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I think getting TP's and Avios, as well as hotel points, for corporate travellers is ok and is a just 'compensation' for those who have to travel a lot and are away from home.

Yes, they took a job on knowing they would be travelling but missing out on many things as many a business traveller has told me, including one a few weeks ago, I think overall it's a fair reward.

There will have been many a time, or times, in ones life where they are just not there when family and friends need them to be with them but they are away working to earn for their loved ones and I am sure many members here will have missed very important events such as birthdays, child's first day at school, graduation, being at home in a medical emergency situation and so on and on.

Just my own 2c worth, not that it counts for much
Old May 10, 2018, 4:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As we are coming up with ideas to make F class Avios redemptions more accessible, how about the following :-

Stop giving Avios to the passengers when on corporate fares. Instead, make the on-business scheme better for the employer - so they can use the on-business points to save money on other flights, or maybe upgrade some of their higher performing employees as a thank you for their hard work.

I'm convinced this would make things a lot fairer - and benefit the people who actually pay for the tickets, rather than the freeloaders.

Thoughts?
I expect that at some point there will be further deals done in this industry that give employers/corporate travel money owners a relatively better discount/rebate in exchange for the traveling passengers on such negotiated fares not being allowed to accumulate redeemable miles/points on such tickets. It’s just a matter of time until cost-cutting interests result in this kind of approach spreading.

And as airlines move toward making the point accumulation and redemptions more explicitly denominated in actual money terms, the taxman may give chase to those getting non-taxed, employer-paid compensation via airline loyalty programs.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
So, you'd choose BA even if it was more expensive than AF (for example) because of the tier points & Avios? That's great if you can get away with it - but I doubt most employers are that generous.
I guess most big employers have a corporate travel portal where a flight is either in policy or not. No problem with the boss if the flight shows green. There are many ways of playing with such a portal until it does what you want it to do.

In smaller organisations being friendly with the secretary usually works.

And if I had a boss who'd get seriously upset about a few quid - time for a new job.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by duncgor
Why not just stop anybody having any benefits apart from you? Would that help?
That;s not what I said or meant and you know it. No need to make it personal. No one else has in this discussion.

But there is a debate to be had on this topic. Though BA is unlikely to change anything.

I've said several times that there could be a way to give corporate travellers status benefits just not let them earn on corporate bookings.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:27 am

Business customers are very important tor BA as they generate lots of revenue.
In some businesses (such as the one I work for) the people who are actually travelling can choose their preferred airline/route.
By removing TPs and/or Avios, BA could risk significant amount of business and this is why they will not do this.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
But there is a debate to be had on this topic. Though BA is unlikely to change anything.
How's there a debate to be had on this topic? Anyone suggesting that clearly has no clue on how exactly these things work, specially in larger companies where people have access to a self-service booking portal showing all flights available as long as they are in policy.

Guess what makes people chose one airline over another, regardless of price - remember that if a flights is shown, then you can pick it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.