Wiki Posts
Search

Remove Avios for Corporate Fare Bookings

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Last time I checked, companies big enough to get corporate fares weren't permitted to be part of OnBusiness…

Corporate travellers do often show preferences for the carrier they want their booking made on, and where they're able to influence the choice of carrier, they choose the one they have status on or can do something with their points on, have a faint hope of being upgraded on, etc. Remove that incentive and BA's competitive focus becomes even more reliant on competing on price and even less on service… especially if other competitors stick with how it is currently.

Corporates already get rewarded for the volume of bookings they make being reflected in the level of their discount, while individual travellers get rewarded for the number of flights they take.
1. BA could change the rules.

2. many posters on here say they only fly BA because they have to due to corporate policies.

3. Individuals taking flights for work get rewarded by being paid a salary. BA could reward corporate flyers by giving them status for lounge access and the odd op-up but not avios and TPs.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by duncgor
Don’t take away my Avios lol. It would certainly give you more space in the lounge, and to be honest as a corporate flyer I could charge back far better food to the company than the constant minced beef, pasta, combination that I make do with in the lounge. I mean the bacon rolls aren’t even in a proper bun at T5.

but nice that you think that due to my job and travelling in Y on probably more flights than a lot of GGLs you’re don’t think I deserve a few Avios for my trouble. Cheers lol.
i refer UKtravelbear to my previous remark....

And not all corporate flyers companies have arrangements with BA. I have to take the lowest fare, any airline ticket.... so ensuring I get a BA one through the system shows more loyalty to BA than most private bookers.

but yeah I don’t deserve my Avios, lol. Why not just stop anybody having any benefits apart from you? Would that help?
MANtraveller likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
This suggestion seems to come from the point of view that OnBusiness is a workable reward scheme, or might become one.

I would like to hear more about that, and less about your scheme for making sure business travellers book on non-oneworld airlines.

​​​​
Old May 9, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Interesting discussion.

U do think HMRC should consider ways of seeing such ‘gifts’ as taxable, although they do already earn high amounts from APD.

Technically, I believe one is not meant to accept the avoid and TPs when flying for queen and country, nor hotel loyalty for staying in hotels, although I’m sure pedantry do as it would be impossible for MOD to check.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Let's just have the acronyms (namely C-W-S and DYKWIA) manage F award availability and pricing (I do have to insist on that one) on BA's behalf. Anyone in their good graces will continue to have access to seats.

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
And all public sector workers. The Civil Servants going back and forth to Bru love the TPs and Avios.
I'm sure you're pleased to hear that Mrs. May is doing everything in her powers to achieve that objective within the next ____ years.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From the employer's point of view, there's no benefit from lifetime elite status, so TPs on corporate fares shouldn't count for lifetime elite status on BA, and similarly for status miles on other airlines. Similarly, the company really shouldn't want the nights and stays paid by the employer to count for lifetime status. In fact, there's an argument that status miles/points/nights/etc. earned as an employee tend to benefit a competitor when the employee changes jobs, so private employers should actively want such a change rather than feeling neutral toward it or supporting it only in exchange for lower rates on the corporate contract.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Let's just have the acronyms (namely C-W-S and DYKWIA) manage F award availability and pricing (I do have to insist on that one) on BA's behalf. Anyone in their good graces will continue to have access to seats.

I'm sure you're pleased to hear that Mrs. May is doing everything in her powers to achieve that objective within the next ____ years.
So are all those government workers going to get a compensating salary increase, not only to cover the loss of FF benefits but also for being kept away from Belgian F&B?
Old May 9, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Whilst I'm currently on a company redemption trip, earning 0/0 for myself and spending a weekend and best part of the week away from Mrs IP, I will note the following:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim21618

mickeyjaw and duncgor like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I assume with this suggestion you are targeting heavily discounted corporate fares only, rather than corporate fliers generally? Not sure how it works for others, but the price my employer pays when I book a flight for business travel via our corporate booking tool is exactly the same price available on ba.com to the general public. A little bit more in reality once the travel agent fee is added on. Although on the flip side our deal includes free seat selection from time of booking regardless of fare class or status, and a flat-fee for changes regardless of flexibility.

Like I suspect many, I’m not obligated to book BA for business travel. Indeed, if anything, given I work for a US headquartered company, there is a slight bias towards booking our preferred American carrier. But the rules state I can book any carrier within £X of the lowest “logical” route (i.e. fewest connections/shortest travel time). And given a personal preference for BA for my own leisure trips, for most work trips, I can make this work out so that BA is in compliance with our policy and I can pick up some extra TPs/Avios.

Take away the opportunity to earn those on “corporate” trips, I could well be less likely to book BA specifically for business trips. Which, in turn, would make me less likely to try to book BA where feasible for my own personal trips. I suspect many in a similar position who have some discretion in carrier choice for work trips would behaviour similarly.

However, I promise on my next business trip on BA to keep my head down and thank my lucky stars that I can (for now) continue to earn Avios/TPs ... and this coming Saturday when I fly out on my honeymoon, will rest easy in the knowledge that I truly am deserving of all those lovely Avios
jerub and duncgor like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:37 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
While I'm sure the thread was made in a satirical manner, it's interesting to compare to hotels for example. Last year I spent approximately 45 nights in hotels on my companies dime, mainly in Hilton and IHG and noticed the following. One of them offered a reduced point collection rate for corporate rate booking, the other offered 0. It is a little surprising that people can accrue status with BA so easily without spending a penny of their own money. Personally not bothered by it at all but a little surprised they haven't added a minimum personal spend or something similar to the equation to keep the traffic in the lounges down a bit.
onobond likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
While I'm sure the thread was made in a satirical manner, it's interesting to compare to hotels for example. Last year I spent approximately 45 nights in hotels on my companies dime, mainly in Hilton and IHG and noticed the following. One of them offered a reduced point collection rate for corporate rate booking, the other offered 0. It is a little surprising that people can accrue status with BA so easily without spending a penny of their own money. Personally not bothered by it at all but a little surprised they haven't added a minimum personal spend or something similar to the equation to keep the traffic in the lounges down a bit.

Your example of personal points earnings through two major hotel chains, when travelling on company dime, is a good example to follow. There has been many posts on the BA FT advocating earnings on BAEC should be revenue-based, instead of the present system. The term 'follow the money' has been repeated many times. Of course, BA (as other airlines) also moves in mysterious ways sometimes, and contrary to popular belief here, might not use FT as their prime source of information for any desicion making.

To let benefits follow the money would in my world of perception be exactly that. Corporate spending equals bennies in form of Avios for spending by the company, vs personal spending let the spender/traveller have the Avios and TPs. Although there are posts here and in many other threads describing how corporate travellers endure company policies restricting flying to Y class, there is also a fair amount of others declaring 75+ % of yearly TP/Avios earnings from company spending. Seemingly less F nowadays, compared to when I became member of FT, but , at least in this forum, LH travel overwhelmingly in C, compared to Y.

As a curiosity, and without any statistical significance to this discussion, let me give an example of a corporate traveller, maybe somewhat atypical. Sitting next to a man in a southern EU BA lounge. During the time waiting for a delayed incoming aircraft, among other things discussed, ways of travelling became a topic. He had been GGL for many years, was LTG, and during the 6 years before retiring, would achieve LTGGL. For the last 12 years he had made no personal spending on BA, for out of work travelling with/without his wife, always on LCCs. His respectable high seven digit Avios balance he considered an addition to a meagre pension plan.

Strenous working conditions, like repeated work LH travel in Y, low salary and/or pension plans are negotiable matters between employee/employer. It would seem illogical to demand compensation from BA for trying company travel policies or any other employment conditions.
All She Wrote likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Just for a second entertain the thought of 0 TP/Avios on corporate bookings. Your average business traveller would do their best to switch to another airline where they'd still get points - or to FR/U2 If the schedule works better. Even if BA could lock in a fair few of them using corporate agreements - It would trigger a significant loss in revenue.

Face it: Your personal money is not worth more than some corporate's money.

(Full disclosure - I made 15 TP last year on business trips).
Old May 10, 2018, 12:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
We already discussed this over in the CX forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29307214

The only way we see it working though is if you can identify/discriminate business travel managers who make booking decisions to make a soft bribe to. If you don't bribe that lot, then non-travel manager staff are going to charge business travel to their cards and claiming reimbursement from work.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
*looks for lead balloon*
Old May 10, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Thankfully I can’t see BA making a decision to remove TPs and Avios from corporate travellers, it would be suicide.

Take me for example. I have a relatively senior role and travel a lot in Y. Business conditions dictated the Y travel and that’s entirely fine with me, was the right decision.

Now I will hit Gold this year largely thanks to my corporate travel (Gold in a Economy is no mean feat let me assure you given the fares we take). Our corporate online travel tool policy is to take the lowest fare regardless of airline. Fortunately it throws up some crazy options with 24 hour layovers in Manchester and things for trips to 6 hour destinations etc so common sense generally dictates that I can fly BA due to the tool being almost too efficient at finding the lowest fares without making allowances for total cost of time, additional hotels etc.

now I have two personal trips coming up.

ABZ - LHR then Eurostar and returning from CDG. I have booked these all BA in CE as was reasonable value. However if I didn’t have corporate TPs I likely would have minimum flown Economy and more likely flown FlyBe to LCY and direct CDG-ABZ with AF so BA would lose out.

similarly I travel to AGP later in the year and have booked again CE through BA rather than direct with Ryanair.

So the point is because of the perk I get through my corporate travel, BA have my loyalty in my personal travel. I am likely not alone here so all that minor perk away and BA would likely lose a lot of money both through travellers using other AL’s for corporate travel where rewards are better and also going for convenience on their personal travel.
GM1985 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.