Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA12 G-XLEC Diverted Via DXB

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I feel like that YouTube video has been recorded at 0.75x speed Watched the series when it aired. It was good.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Here's some info from the captain via Twitter

Old May 7, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
A lot of airlines seem to contract with MedAire, who provide advice to the crew during flight and assist with logistics. It would be interesting to know more about them.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
We are based in Kazakhstan on the North eastern corner of the Caspian. Our emergency medivac location is Dubai. So this does not surprise me that they diverted there,
Old May 8, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gcuk
That company has doctors in a 'command centre' type facility, able to advise about the urgency of the patient's condition and that company decides whether and where the aircraft will divert to.
Surely it will always be the aircraft's captain who will decide whether to divert, and where?
Old May 8, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Surely it will always be the aircraft's captain who will decide whether to divert, and where?
Pilots may be many things, but qualified Doctors not so much. I guess having the advice on tap avoids expensive litigation if the captain makes the wrong choice.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes it’s always the Captains decision but he would take advice from a number of areas.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
No need for it to continue all the way to LHR. It could always land at MUC or somewhere and a relief crew be sent out.
When I've been on BA12 they always have Four Pilots onboard. Two do the takeoff then they retire to their bunks before returning in the morning to do the landing. The other two pilots are in command of the cruise portion during the middle 12 hours of the flight.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by bluegreen2
When I've been on BA12 they always have Four Pilots onboard. Two do the takeoff then they retire to their bunks before returning in the morning to do the landing. The other two pilots are in command of the cruise portion during the middle 12 hours of the flight.
I read the chain in the Tweets and that is what happened here. The pilot who made the tweets was a member of the relief crew.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bluegreen2
Originally Posted by FN-GM
I read the chain in the Tweets and that is what happened here. The pilot who made the tweets was a member of the relief crew.
whilst there were four pilots, the resting pilots would have been woken early from their rest period for the diversion so that may mess up the plan for the rest of the flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.