Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time on the Yin Yang - never again!

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Moderator note

The genius of Flyertalk is every member has an opportunity to share their own opinions so rather than acting as interpreters for others, perhaps we could simply post our own views and preferences.

Your assistance is appreciated

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I guess I can follow the OP in their attitude to things they haven't done before.

I haven't flown my LHR-PHL-LHR segments in my TP run on BA CW (upper deck, 62K and 64K, so I get to compare them)... but I'm sure it'll be amazing and I definitely won't experience the aforementioned shortcomings

I'll report back in August And if it really sucks I will split my airline tickets between OW and *A. No need to make a huge fuss.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
My business class flying experience is pretty small and soley on BA up to this week when I tried Finnair for the first time. I was excited as it looks so modern and private and there’s no step over.

i have to say I was disappointed, the foot cubby hole really made sleep difficult. It was so narrow at the bottom and due to the head rest I couldn’t shift up enough to not have my feet crammed deep down into the narrow space at the bottom. As a seat it was OK, but I find the BA seat more comfortable and the view out of the window wasn’t naturally easy to see due to the angle.

I wouldn’t say I’d never fly AY again, I’ll do what is economical for my company - but I was surprised not to find the seat preferable to BA. I don’t like the concept of stepping over a stranger but for comfort as both a seat and bed Ba surprisingly wins.

next up to try is Cathay in a few weeks...
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by RobDBA

next up to try is Cathay in a few weeks...
Try as many as you can, I say !

Just as we generally like to do with restaurants, hotels ........ and countries
Old May 6, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
People also mange to sleep under a bridge. So what ?
My point - perhaps poorly come across - was that any/all of us who are fortunate enough to fly CW/F are just that - fortunate. I do appreciate that CW isn't perfect.
HIDDY and LTN Phobia like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

There are two useful lines of follow-up, I feel. Firstly to find out what happened to the White Company bedding and also what happened to his starter, since they are loaded to beyond passenger numbers on that route. He should have had a soup / salad / fish option there.

It will be helpful to see if this was a 777 flight or 747 flight and the time of departure.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by lostinlondon
My point - perhaps poorly come across - was that any/all of us who are fortunate enough to fly CW/F are just that - fortunate. I do appreciate that CW isn't perfect.
OK. Those words make sense.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by mmogdan
I actually sleep away better in CW than Qatar Business or Virgin UC, so I’d say it’s far superior.
I have slept much better on Qatar, and I love the fact my window seat gives me easy access to the aisle. The sense of hospitality is beyond compare. Yes, I count myself as lucky and privileged to be able to fly CW but I don't feel the experience beats Qatar on any level.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Beyond all the 'hard' descriptions, there are personal preferences and those who prefer CW to some other seats should consider themselves (myself included) lucky that there are those who don't like them - the might contribute (even if it's a tiny bit) to keeping the fares low.
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: LH HON
It's still better than economy.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Doesn’t matter what the seat is like. If they crank the cabin temperature up I ain’t sleeping.

I’ve only been in CW & F and Qatar J a few times so can’t make any concrete comparisons. But my best sleep on a plane has been in a WTP seat. Got about 8hrs straight on the way to KUL.

Any J seat is a treat for me so I’ll take it and enjoy the extra comfort over W or Y.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
On the subject of the seat, I am flying next week PVG-LHR on the midnight departure. i cant get a window seat so currently have 12B aisle seat. There are lots of middle seats and centre aisles. Which seat would you recommend for best privacy and sleeping given the window seats are all booked?

And are there any "better" aisle seats or are they all the same?

First time flying CW since about 2003!

thanks
Old May 7, 2018, 1:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
On the subject of the seat, I am flying next week PVG-LHR on the midnight departure. i cant get a window seat so currently have 12B aisle seat. There are lots of middle seats and centre aisles. Which seat would you recommend for best privacy and sleeping given the window seats are all booked?

And are there any "better" aisle seats or are they all the same?
It's very aircraft type dependent. I'm going to guess this is a 4 class 777-200 with 48J, affectionately known in these parts as the Flying Dorm. In which case the aisle seats 10B, D, G and J, the front ones, don't have anyone going over you to the aisle, and they are furthest from the turbines, but there is a risk of curtain swish, plus the traffic into the galley / WC area. The further back you are the less foot passage but more turbine noise, row 15 puts you almost level with the turbine, In the middle area between the two, the seats are pretty much the same.

One option is to consider 15F if the cabin is going to have some empty seats. 15E is the bassinet so won't be available until OLCI and being middle it's not very popular. So if you get 15F you may have direct aisle access, a heap of privacy and an empty seat. Of course if 15E ends up with a single parent with a yelling kid......., so best to not print the boarding pass (etc) so you can move seat if a baby suddenly appears. Not very likely, most parents plan this with military precision weeks in advance. Otherwise, keep half an eye on the middle middles if it isn't a full flight, occasionally you can get the double seat and no one on the aisle to go over.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
As much as I think the Op is just moaning for moaning sake. I do have to agree I loathe those seats. I much prefer the new WT+ seats to CW. And as such always book WT+.
​​
Old May 7, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by lostinlondon
You're a BA gold and you've not been in CW before?
I’ve been BA gold for 15 years or so and the only time I’ve been seated in the CW cabin with the ying-yang arrangement was on a return trip to Madrid a year or so ago in CE on a 777. I wasn’t at all impressed, I mean, where do you put your stuff?

There are many other ways of achieving Gold than travelling CW ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.